Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Subscribed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Aug 2, 2019.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Around 75 or 76, Popular Hot Rodding. Wanted Hot Rod, but this was one of those magazine sales deals and they didn't have it. PHR was OK, but I really wanted Hot Rod, so I subbed to it in 1977 and dropped PHR. Kept getting Hot Rod until the mid 90's, dropped it for Street Rodder and Rod and Custom when it came back, kept them until early 00's, then quit all of them. Still have most issues on the shelf in various conditions. Had them sorted by month and year until my boys started looking at them, now they are mixed up.

Just Gary and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  2. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

For me it was Street Rodder, Sept 1997, with the Hercules '33 Woody on the cover. I was 13. I was keen on hot rods already, but didn't know what any of the parts were called, or which cars were which. SRM kicked off a full-blown obsession. I pored over that magazine until I had it memorized, even the ads! I took it everywhere. Into bed. On camping trips...

I still have it!
    [​IMG]

I subscribed until about 2006, when I was getting bored with cookie-cutter billet rods with 2-tone paintjobs. I lost interest until about 2009, when a random mag purchased at the newsstand featured some early Paso Robles coverage, with the Purple People Eater in primer and Anthony Castenada's "Brown Neck Bandito" in progress....whatever style those cars were, they were different and I wanted to know more! I encountered some r@ts and traditional rods in Ventura in 2008/9, and after a brief dalliance with Old School Rods, Car Culture Deluxe and Rod & Custom I found Hot Rod Deluxe, Rod & Kulture, and Rodder's Journal. It took until about 2011 for me to find the HAMB and discover what I'd been missing. Can't afford the real thing, but I'm still obsessed. I don't buy many mags these days, but I'll still grab some new ones before a camping trip!

Now I have a small collection of "little pages" mags, lurk on the HAMB daily, and visit Kustomrama regularly. That '97 Street Rodder mag pretty much ruined me for life :D

brad2v and Just Gary like this.
  3. August 1953 and every one since up to this June, then let it expire.
    I'm not into the new LS stuff at this stage of my life.

rod1 likes this.
  4. Boss 302 Mustang

Boss 302 Mustang
    from Duxbury MA

September 1962 Car Craft......I was like 8 years old at the time!!!

5. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Hot Rod magazine 1961, Hemi on the cover. I was 11, now I have an early Hemi in my 32.

6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That same copy ofHot Rod Magazine fueled my thoughts for my 39 Deluxe Coupe. When I built it it had flames on it very similar to Barry’s car. During a later rebuild I had the hood filled with louvers too

Just Gary likes this.
  7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

First magazine subscription was Highlights.
    After that was Super Chevy, Super Stock and Drag Illustrated, Street Rodder, and Rod and Custom all about the same time then threw in Car Craft and PHR.
    THERE USED TO BE QUITE A MAILBOX FULL:)

lothiandon1940 and J.Ukrop like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    When we were little, access to the outside world was limited, except for every Tuesday morning, our dad would take us to his favorite, neighborhood liquor store. (Anchor Liquor on the Westside of Long Beach) It was not for liquor, but a few necessities that were running low, milk for my brother, as well as cokes and orange juice. Also, the main thing was that my dad was a fanatic LA Herald Examiner reader and liked the columnist’s stories, especially in the sports sections.

He once subscribed to the LA Times, but their delivery was always shaky and usually landed on the grass when the sprinklers were going on in the morning. But, since my dad left for work before 5:30 am, the newspapers never arrived until 7 or so. Plus, despite what time the sprinklers came on, the papers got wet, directly or just sitting on the wet grass. So, he cancelled and just drove to the store to get his favorite LA Herald Examiner paper.

Because we tagged along with him, he always bought a comic or hot rod/custom car magazine for us. Since there were two of us, one Hot Rod Magazine and one Rod & Custom…we knew how to play that game. That was the key for my brother and I to check out the massive magazine collections on a weekly basis. First it was comics, hot rods, custom cars, then it was the sports magazines, and finally something else caught our attention, and it sure was an eye opener.

Jnaki

This weekly episode went on for what seemed like ages and finally we did not go with our dad to the liquor store, so he suggested we subscribe to those magazines. Since we had no way to pay for them, he paid for the subscriptions and we were happy. That scenario went on until we were teenagers. By then, the magazines had done what they were supposed to do for us teenagers, get us started.

If we wanted a different magazine other than those original two, we had to go with our dad. Then, we had to look like we wanted a different magazine and held it in our hands. When he was ready to check out, he paid for that new title of hot rodding or sports magazines along with his two newspapers and household extras.

My brother and I did subscribe to the two big name Surfer/Surfing Magazines since their inception, with the original Surfer Magazine first issue. But even those subscriptions have been cancelled. Over the years, like most have described, the coverage got worse, cars/surf stories and other things that we had no interest in, started taking over the various magazines, so we quit ALL magazines, including Road and Track, Motor Trend, PHR, Surfer, Surfing, etc. At least with something like the HAMB, skipping posts is easy and keeps the interest alive for a while longer…

These days, there is already enough stuff coming in our mailbox, so no subscriptions to anything, for me. My laptop/home computer does a good job of supplying plenty of hot rod stuff for my research and general information. When my new "hot rod" laptop comes in, there will be faster searches and of course, more power…

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  9. As my first Subscription? I can't remember? I've had alot! But I started out on Drag Cartoons as a kid. I used my school lunch money. Every time a new Drag Cartoons came out. I stopped at the local news stand and bought it. Then later on I started collecting, and subscribing to all the Hot Rod rags. I went as far as buying them by the box full, at swap meets etc. Then I had them hard bound, by year like a sit of encycopedias.:confused:[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    enloe, Just Gary, bowie and 1 other person like this.
  10. IRION29

IRION29
    from Alberta

I remember at age 9( late '60s) going to Safeway with my mom every Friday. As she got groceries, I would divide the time between the plastic model car kits and the magazines.Car craft, Hot Rod, Popular Hot Rodding, Rod & Custom. The most awesome was one Friday, the cover of Hot Rod, seeing "BIG" in a Stars & Stripes suit, flashing a peace sign, He had just broke 200 mph. Years later,my first subscription was to "The Buick Bugle" that came with membership in the Buick Club of America.

enloe likes this.
  11. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

Sorry about digging up an old post. This was the first magazine I ever bought.

7208_phr.jpg

It was easy to be drawn in by Project X, Project 32 and the articles on engine swaps.

LOST ANGEL, enloe and rod1 like this.
  12. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

@Moriarity has more car magazines than all of you guys combined....

Upstairs in his hang out area.

Hamtown Al and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. ken1949car

ken1949car
    from chicago

About 1960, I was 9, just getting into cars. My mom would go to the Kroger once a week. They had a great newsstand with several car magazines. I would sit and read while mom shopped. Manager did not like me fingering all the magazines but he never told me to scram. I always gravitated to Hot Rod. I was not allowed to get a subscription until I was 13. I have had a subscription every year since. Lots of good issues and many bad. Still have them all.

14. My very first automotive magazine was Hot Rod magazine,I was soon to be 12 years old and it was the January 1962 edition, the red Ford roadster pickup gracing the cover really caught my eye, my mom bought me that magazine and I still have it to this very day, Dean Lowe so graciously autographed it for me a couple of years ago.

Later that same year I got a subscription to Hot Rod, I believe it was my mom or my granddad to signed me up. HRP

[​IMG]

enloe likes this.
  15. The Rodders Journal is not the only magazine that folded and didn't fulfill their obligation, any one remember Rodders World? HRP

enloe likes this.