Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Installing a new quadrant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 3, 2019.

1. When I was building the Ranch Wagon I used a Mustang clutch cable and attached the quadrant to the original '54 Ford clutch, it has never been a problem but I am thinking about replacing the original non adjustable cable with a new adjustable type.

I have been looking at all the different aftermarket replacements and I noticed they also offer a aluminum quadrant to replace the original plastic piece, I have come to the conclusion I really need to replace the old one while I'm at it, better now instead of later.

Anyone ever replace a clutch quadrant?, I installed that piece at least 10 years ago and I;ll be darn if I remember the spring part in the rear of the quadrant attaches. HRP

This is a photo of what the original piece looks like.

s-l1600.jpg

2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I just did one in a OT car. Used a Steeda quadrant and adjuster with an OEM 04 Cobra cable.

3. What the heck is this hole for? HRP

[​IMG]5557000_1.5 by Danny Berry, on Flickr

4. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Clutch pedal pin, where the small OEM adjuster pawl pivots.

5. Budget36

Budget36

Never had a problem...kinda like works fine?

Why try to fix something that isn't broke?

Might as well replace the windshield...Old glass, etc...

Texas Webb and stillrunners like this.
  6. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

The instructions are pretty straight forward.
    I used the ford racing aluminum quadrant and adjustable cable.
    I would recommend the fire wall adjuster so you don’t have to crawl under the car to adjust the clutch.

The aluminum quadrant is a good upgrade from the plastic one. The teeth wore off mine and it wouldn’t hold adjustment anymore.

The worst part is working under the dash.
    I’m sure you’ve got more room in the wagon than I did in my roadster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The reason to fix something that isn't broke is because the plastic quadrant is 39 years old, we drive the car on long road trips and as we all know as plastic ages it gets brittle, if the piece broke out on the road I would have a serious problem and I am trying to avoid a problem before it happens.

Simply put, it's called preventive maintenance. HRP

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  8. Since the aluminum quadrant doesn't have teeth I assume this part is not necessary, am I correct? HRP

9. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Yes, but you need to be able to adjust the cable. I use the OEM cable because I have had poor results with the aftermarket cable. You can purchase an aftermarket cable that adjusts at the bell housing. I use the firewall adjuster from Steeda, but you have to have the correct distance from the quadrant to the firewall.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have not replaced a quandrant, but I have installed them where they don't belong.

I have put these on Comets, Falcons, and Mustangs:

https://www.mustangsteve.com/cable.html

I might even have an extra steel quadrant. I seem to remember that I do, and a whole cable kit. It would not be like me to toss something like that out.

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'd replace it too, you're on borrowed time with the plastic one. I had one strip the teeth on a early model S10, I made a bolt on adjuster to eliminate the pawn piece. Mine stripped out in downtown Tuscaloosa AL, luckily I was on my way home, so I just shifted without the clutch.

12. Gimpyshotrods very generously offered me a spare Steves Mustang quadrant but after reading where this type needs to be welded into place I need to use one designed as a replacement for the original piece.

Thank you my friend! HRP

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Danny, are you using the 86 to 96 Mustang pedal assembly?

14. No sir, I had originally thought about it and even tried to mount it but when it was in place the peddles just looked too small so I kept the original firewall mounted brake & clutch peddles. HRP

[​IMG]