Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Mail Box at my local repair sho[

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MERCURYGUY, Aug 2, 2019.

1. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

I recently noted that my local garage put up a super new mail box. I bet there is some other great example. Lets see them Mercuyrguy

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

very nice - see how long it lasts without someone trying to steal or damage it

loudbang, deucemac, clem and 2 others like this.
  3. 4speed411

4speed411

My Blowen Big Block IMG_20180728_145229151.jpg

4. Budget36

Budget36

My local machine shop has a straight 8 crank as the mail box holder...just a regular box though.

loudbang likes this.

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I hope they had the forethought to weld all the fasteners and to put the end of the crank in 100lbs of concrete!

loudbang likes this.
  6. gene-koning

gene-koning

That would be illegal here! The mail box and its mounting have to be able to break off even with the ground upon impact.

Some delinquents here spent a Saturday evening running down mail boxes, one of the boxes they crashed into didn't break off and one (or more) of the kids got hurt really bad. Naturally they (the injured kids or their parents) sued the homeowner where the box was located and won a big settlement. The concept that the kids had destroyed however many mail boxes on that eventful evening before they hit the one that didn't give was of no consiquences. Shortly after, the Post Office changed the rulings on how mail boxes could be mounted.

Not only are there restrictions covering the box mounting, there are also requirements concerning the height of the box off the ground. Every few years they hit people with too low or too high boxes with a 2 week "fix it" warning, or they will no longer deliver mail to the offending boxes. Gene

loudbang, slowmotion and clem like this.
  7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Just do a Google search for, "Engine themed mail box images"; I'm sure there are more than what's listed, but some are pretty creative. There's even an early 60's Honda "motorcycle" mailbox stand. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  8. slowmotion

slowmotion

This is true. Before I retired I had an employee pass for a (scrap) crank from an EMD locomotive. Great & unique mail-box post I thought. Nope, can't do that..:(

loudbang likes this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Knew a Tech in X-Ray school who lived "rural", and his mailbox was frequently hit by the "mailbox baseball" game players. He and his brother used a couple of steel plates welded to a section of pipe, and bolted to the bottom of the "actual" mailbox, and a "dumby" mailbox. A pit pin was used to keep them attached to the pole. He'd swap out the mailboxes in the morning, and stored them in his kids school bus pickup shed at the end of his driveway. The actual mailbox was up all day, evening he'd swap to the dumby box that was filled with concrete. He found part of a broken baseball bat close by one morning. He talked about that for quite a while. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. ............One can only hope that the culprit broke his arm in the process.

loudbang likes this.
  11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my neck of the woods mail box baseball always seems to reoccur whenever the movie Stand By Me gets shown on local TV or one of the streaming services. Lost a couple over the years.

loudbang likes this.
  12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Our mailbox stand has never been "hit" with a bat or anything else; it's the meth head, mail thieves, we have to worry about around here. Our mailbox, that I bought off of that auction site we all know and love, weighs FORTY FIVE pounds! I had to use a hand cart to wheel it 150 feet up the street to install it (work smart, not hard!). I did't use the mounting plate supplied, so that was good for a couple of pounds. I can see in the paint, where someone has tried to pry it open, and gave up. My next door neighbor has had his mail stolen several times, by having the door pried open, and it's a decent "security" mailbox, just not secure enough for the meth heads; why he just does't step up to a Fort Knox style mailbox, like ours, is beyond my thinking. It would have been nice if the Tech where I trained, if the mailbox baseball player had broken an arm; he may have even been X-Rayed at our facility. That would have been karma! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

With a "BLOWER MOTOR", how well would the PCV valve work? Just bustin' your chops, as they say. Looks like it's already been "hit" with a bat. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  14. pontiac

pontiac

I'm a rural mail carrier and have this old roadster box on my route. It's a box that's been vacant for years though. I'm surprised it hasn't been vandalized yet as there were a bunch in the area of this one that got smashed with something a year or so ago.

roadsterbox.jpg

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  15. A Boner

A Boner

Hey, it's 2019, the criminals are good and the average person is screwed.....get used to it!

49ratfink likes this.
  16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Mine is an old forge. Bat proof.

[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I
    I like the additional uprights in front of the mail boxes for extra protection. Someone was thinking ahead. My older sister was a "private" mail carrier for several years in Marysville, Washington, prior to it's growth explosion of the last decade or so. Her worry was't the damaged mail boxes, it was the crazy drivers coming directly at her that were't paying attention. She drove a "regular", LHD vehicle, so had to be on the opposite side of the road to deliver the mail. Always wondered about how that would be if she was involved in an accident. Now, she's a Registered Nurse, but retired. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  18. pontiac

pontiac

The boxes aren't any big deal to me either, I see them get hit quite often. Like your sister though, as a mail carrier traffic is my biggest concern - so many people distracted driving, texting, and talking on their phone, not paying attention to their surroundings. But you also have to deal with the plain crazy drivers also. I've almost been hit many times. I drive a LHD Chevy Blazer, but I sit in the passenger seat and drive it as I service boxes in the direction of traffic travel.

loudbang likes this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I thought you were talking about Roth's mailbox

roth...jpg

loudbang and brad2v like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

Again...sorry no pics...but years ago a friend of my Dads...John Mello, had his regular mailbox...then on a pole about 15 feet in the air had another. He lived about 3 miles from the local little airport.

Ya...had AirMail painted on it.

Used to chuckle every time I drove by it.

loudbang likes this.
  21. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

That’s very true people steal junk so this they should love

loudbang likes this.
  22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Our mail carriers have always drove LHD vehicles too, they just sit in the center or on the right side and steer with their left hand. They go with the flow of traffic, not against it. Never heard of a mail carrier going against the flow of traffic like that.

loudbang likes this.