Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Transmission coolant line...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Previous owner kinked the transmission coolant line near the radiator. Just wondering whether I could do a quick fix by cutting out the kink and replacing it with a piece of gas line and hose clamps. I have had other cars that had pieces of hose and it didn't seem to cause problems...
    Thanks, Dusty 20190803_145749.jpg

osage orange likes this.
  2. Bugguts

Bugguts

I wouldn't use gas hose as it will swell. They do make a special hose for transmission line and it would work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

a quick fix like that will get you home, but after a while it might come apart. If you use hose rated for oil, and "bubble" the ends of the metal line, it will last a long time.

If you remove the line, and make a new one with nice bends, at least you now have a template to work from, so it should be possible to get it "right" in only one or two tries.

4. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Power steering return hose is available at NAPA and probably everywhere else. Comes in a box, 3 or four feet long as I recall. Made for hot oil and slightly higher pressure than gas hose.
    A little bulge is easy to make with a double flaring tool for brake lines.

loudbang likes this.

5. Thanks for the replies. It probably makes better sense to replace the whole line.

6. I would (and have) remove the line and hand straighten it while taping it with light hits with a small hammer. Then carefully re bend with a bigger radius curve , unless its cracked. Rubber hoses of any type on a smooth tube WILL eventually come off.....at the worst time. I use a tube flare tool and put a ball flare on the ends. JW

61Cruiser and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. The green line will not bend as easily as the old steel line.

8. Get a piece of 5/16” NiCop line. Use this and you will never use anything else!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cosmo49 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Advance sells power steering return line/ trans cooler line by the foot. I always double clamp it when using it under pressure. 2 clamps on each end . I have used it for years for temporary repairs or when adding a trans cooler for towing.

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If the line is so long, or so complicated in shape to duplicate easily, just replace the bad section and use a compression fitting to tie it in. I like the double ferrel ones (Swagelock)