Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flat FED build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roseville carl, Jan 14, 2010.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Oh crap that doesn't look good. Did you hurt it already?

1947knuck likes this.
  2. Naw - he is just installing the new HEART into the beast . . . he wore the last one out . . . multiple times! LOL

loudbang likes this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

Whew good to know I thought that was the new one.

1947knuck likes this.
  4. yea Dale even my cracks have cracks...............

64 DODGE 440 and loudbang like this.
  5. Carl, I do NOT want to hear about your crack . . . PERIOD! LOL

Hotdoggin DaddyO and loudbang like this.
  6. well a coupla more hrs into it and the port matching is done
    DSC00002.JPG DSC00003.JPG

OahuEli, j-jock and loudbang like this.
  7. Come on Carl - be BRAVE - get down into those ports . . . tickle the Dragon's Tail and see how close to water you can get! :)

(I'm brave with a sonic tester - much more so than when I didn't have one!). The hardest part is that the ports get pretty close to water down in "the hump" area and in the bowl itself. It is tempting to really cut away the short-side radius . . . just be careful!

Here are the dimensions on a stock port:

PortCutaway_CloseUp.jpg

Here are the ones on my 32 Cab motor - I hogged them pretty far - until I have about .080 in some of the critical areas. Inside the bowls can get pretty thin (like right between the two bowls in the middle) - the sonic tester really helped me when I went to a 1.72 intake (lots of bowl work for those).
    IntakePorts-80Grit.jpg IntakePortsRoughedIn3.jpg IntakePortsRoughedIn4.jpg
    IntakePort1 copy.jpg

8. 97

Ha Dale,
    dangerously close to secrets exposed :D! Are you going to show us the other side of the equation? :eek: How the head/ manifold matches the relief and the ports?What about your exhaust port "secrets" ;)?
    Do you think that having the block filled with aluminum would allow Carl to port right into/through those thin areas without any issues?
    My race block is filled with hardblock , I don't think that would be really safe to remove all the metal as far as the porous material is concerned. It might be possible to epoxy any porous areas I suppose?
    I also had a future plan to try an alloy or epoxy/metal powder fill in the future ... Maybe when I reach retirement age next year:D? Not that I intend to retire, but it is a mental shift that might allow me to play more and work less....right now I am bored to death , recovering from bypass surgery, not allowed to play or work/lift anything , so I can't really imagine "retirement".

loudbang likes this.
  9. My first block was filled with blockroc and it is really amazing just how bad it filled the block, and was a pain in the ass to do, aluminum is so much better IMHO and yes I can go way out if I want to and not worry about getting it opened up.................... and all in due time Dale..................

loudbang likes this.
  10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

No need to port it Carl, just crank up the boost and push it in.:rolleyes:

OahuEli and loudbang like this.
  11. "Huston, we have separation"........... DSC02313.JPG DSC02314.JPG

loudbang and j-jock like this.
  12. thats what I plan to do Tom

loudbang and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  13. just another boring day.....

DSC02316.jpg

loudbang, Aaron D. and j-jock like this.
  14. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

I filled a lot of blocks with grout style fillers.. tried them all I think. But I never tried aluminum... will the faster expansion rate of aluminum cause any issues?

loudbang likes this.
  15. none that I know of, a buddy of mine has been running one for years now in an injected flathead on alky...........

loudbang likes this.
  16. Carl,
    Is the machining being done just for cleanup, or to increase the displacement. What is the final displacement going to be?
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  17. 304 Bob

bob

loudbang likes this.
  18. I can't wait to see it go (quickly) down the strip.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  19. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

looking good Carl :) No race for me this year, but hope to get it running again next year ;)

loudbang likes this.
  20. come on Kjell "get yer motor runnin"................ gotta get ready for October lots to do.............

loudbang likes this.
  21. Well somedays are diamonds and some are RUST.................boring bar decided to take a shit on me after five holes and have a mind of its own.........................UGGGLY.............. Oh well thats what Sleeves are for...............
    DSC02317.jpg DSC02318.jpg DSC02319.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  22. Sorry to learn that, Carl. Can the boring bar be repaired?
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  23. yea, parts on order should be here in four days or so...........sleeves in two or three........so here we go again......oh well will give me a chance to clean up the garage

j-jock and loudbang like this.
  24. Rusty-Dog-No-5

Rusty-Dog-No-5

Found yourThread! Enjoyed reading.Keep up the great work .Learning more about flatheads all the time.Question. Did you preheat block before alum pour? Also where did u locate parts for van norman? Dave

loudbang likes this.
  25. yes I used my foundry to pre heat the block by placing it underneath the block when melting the aluminum, and Dale Neer at 937-645-9677 has parts for the old Van Norman

loudbang likes this.
  26. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad its fixable. It would have sucked to do all the porting and then not be able to use the block. Bore first then port in case there is a next time?

loudbang likes this.
  27. there is always a next time when your racin.......................

28. Ahhhhhhhh Fuck DSC02320.JPG DSC02322.JPG DSC02323.JPG
    Locked up again fell over and bent drive shaft..............if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all...........

loudbang likes this.
  29. loudbang likes this.
  30. Everything is fixable ifn ya throw enough $ or time at it................
    Meanwhile while the parts are on order, everything ya do requires something else to do.........opened up exhaust, now zoomies are too small so here's the fix new zoomies 2in instead of 1 5/8..............uggggg ........besides should be a little bit louder:rolleyes:
    DSC02324.JPG DSC02325.JPG

48fordnut, Gammz, loudbang and 2 others like this.