Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Selling a car out of state

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56cadillackid, Aug 1, 2019.

1. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

So about a week ago I sold my cadillac to a guy from Illinois I'm in New York where they dont issue titles for old cars and I just heard from the buyer that the DMV in Illinois says that they need a title and that a transferable registration wont work. The registration recently expired but the Illinois dmv said even if it was valid they still wouldn't take it. I have no idea how to deal with this, does anyone have any advice or experience in a similar situation?

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Your buyer should have investigated before he bought it. It is commonly known that NY does not issue titles for old cars/trucks. His DMV should accept that. If I were him, I would try another DMV station with (hopefully) someone that knows what they are doing

3. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

Yeah I told them that New York doesnt issue titles they're planning on trying another dmv I'm just worried that wont work but hopefully it does.

4. They need to find a DMV with a gray haired person working there.New folks dont learn things that arent commonly done now a days.Another thought for them....does their state allow AAA insurance to do dmv work? They do in some states,and are much easier to talk to.Some states have private title services that can help too.

56cadillackid likes this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@56cadillackid .....Suggest to your buyer he contact the Illinois Secretary of State’s office directly. They have more than one phone number, but anybody who answers should be able to transfer him to the right party. If you did not already do so, you should provide your buyer a detailed Bill of Sale for the Caddy. The buyer’s name and address, your name and address, a full description of the car including whatever number the registration showed AND Include the amount money he paid you for the car. The actual amount, not some BS figure. You need to sign it and provide a space for him to sign it and both of you keep a copy.

The contact at the Sec’y of State’s Office should be able to guide the buyer through the process. I have had a few occasions where even their Office had their heads up their backside, but politeness and persistence has prevailed. Sometimes you need a Supervisor, but not usually.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  6. flatford39

flatford39

It's pretty much about tax revenues here. Your buyer is going to have to apply for a bonded title. They will give him plates etc. while they check the VIN and make sure it doesn't show up as stolen. Most don't but if it does they will confiscate the car.

Once it clears ( and I think it takes a couple of years please correct me if I am wrong) they will issue a clear Illinois title.

They know the value of our cars and will challenge a low ball purchase price.

Just be honest and work through the process.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

When drafting my post, I considered mentioning the ‘bonded title’, but that really doesn’t apply in this circumstance. It might be a Plan B, if all else fails.

In any case, I think you (and many others) do not have a good understanding of the bonded title process. No doubt a records search occurs to see that a vehicle has not been reported stolen. But that is brief and merely one of the steps required. First an applicant must obtain an appraisal from a ‘qualified’ party. Any licensed auto dealer will suffice. Next a Bond must be obtained from an insurance company for (as I recall) one and a half times the appraised value good for three years. During the application process, sales tax will be assessed, along with title fees (and if needed/wanted) license plates fees.

If everything is in order, a clear unbranded Illinois Certificate of Title will be issued to the applicant. At that point, the applicant is free to do anything he wishes with the vehicle. Drive it, restore it, sell it.....no restrictions. If a claimant appears within the three year period for which the bond has been issued, and the claimant provides adequate proof the vehicle was lawfully his, the claimant gets the proceeds of the Bond as compensation. He does not get the vehicle.

When three years have passed without a claimant, the terms of the Bond have been fulfilled and it no longer applies to the vehicle and any subsequent claims will be denied.

All that aside, given the circumstances described by the OP, I believe it likely that this matter can be resolved in favor of the buyer without involving a bonded title. But, if not, perhaps that might be the next step.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    lothiandon1940 and Stu D Baker like this.
  8. It's a common problem in many states, here in South Carolina if a car is purchased from another state it must have a title, no bill of sale or a registration will be excepted at the SCDMV, your up sheet creek without one, no way, shape ,form or fashion will get your new toy registered and a license plate.

The bottom line is the DMV could care less and I'm afraid the buyer in Illinois has found out the hard way. HRP

9. As recently as a couple years ago Indiana would accept a bill of sale from a no title state. Your local police would have to run the VIN, if it came up clear (not stolen) the officer would fill out a form, that and the bill of sale would get you a fresh Indiana title in your name. I believe that still holds true but I haven’t tried it lately. I would imagine most states would have a similar process. As said in another post younger employees may not know about this though.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I am in the same boat, moved from NH, a non title state for anything over 15 years to VA, not sure what they want. Might have to keep my NH post office box.

11. COCONUTS, did you contact the N.H. dmv and ask about getting a title for your car? I know others that have gotten them.

12. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I was able to secure one title from the NHDVM for my 72, but have not taken the time to try on the other cars.

13. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

That's exactly what he did and they issued him a title. What's really cool is that NY only used transferable regulations even when new so its possible that that's the first title that car has ever had.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. 56cadillackid

56cadillackid
    from new york

Thank you everyone for your responses and suggestions I was very worried even though the car is paid for I would feel bad if the new owner was stuck with no way to register it. Fortunately he contacted the secretary of states office in Illinois and they just needed my driver's license and the bill of sale and registration and they were able to give him a title.

warbird1 and wicarnut like this.
  15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That is GREAT news. So glad it all worked out. And I am sure @HOTRODPRIMER will be pleased too!

16. I am happy to hear the state of Illinois was able to get the gentleman a title,. HRP

17. 1ton

1ton

Going to any run of the mill DMV in Illinois is not the proper way. Some of them have an intelligent person there that does things such as this. Find the right place and your golden. There is also title/tag companies that are not state run that are able and willing to fudge something through, just to get it done. They don't do anything illegal but what they do is eliminate the insane bullshit from the pure lack of intelligence that you would find at a regular dmv.

56cadillackid, Hnstray and irishsteve like this.