Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ford f1 steering box

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by simon sinkinson, Jul 19, 2019.

1. simon sinkinson

simon sinkinson

I have managed to adjust the steering and it is a little better but still about 2 inch of free play to the left and right .
    It drives a little better but wonder if a new box might be my only options . Occasionally if I hit a bump in the road at slow speed I get a violent shake to the steering and have to stop . I am not sure if this is the play or the narrow tyres .
    Do folk ever fit steering dampers to Model A's ? Any help greatly received

Attached Files:

2. 3/4 of an inch free play in the wheel,or less on a rebuilt box.Parts are available to over haul the box.C&G,or Macs early Ford should have what you need.Make sure your front end is tight,good king pins,tie rod ends,spring shackle bushings,wheel bearings.The steering drag link should be on the same plane as the wishbone not lots higher,or lower.Dont over air the front tires either.Do you have some type of front shock?

3. simon sinkinson

simon sinkinson

King pins feel great and I can find no movement in any joints when jacked up . The shocks I presume are the original type . I am trying to stay as old as poss to race it at Pendine sands over here in the UK P1010025.jpg

waxhead likes this.
  4. Trad V8

Trad V8
    from Edinburgh

Check your PMs for some local UK info.

5. Auggie Dawgie

Auggie Dawgie
    from New Jersey

6. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Try VanPelt, Third Gen Auto, or Prewar and More.

If you have a mill though, I'd just pull measurements from the broken piece and cut a new one out of a good new bolt.

7. NealinCA

NealinCA

Search for part number 78-3577, most of the early Ford parts suppliers carry them

patmanta likes this.