Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Banjo Ford Rear End With The Leaf Spring In The Front

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Aug 1, 2019.

1. I'm trying to find some pictures and stories on a Ford banjo rear end with the leaf spring mounted in the front of the axle so that one only sees the axle from behind. I've seen a lot of pictures where the guys way back when basically flipped the axle housings so that the spring was in front of the differential and then they stuffed them under T Buckets. If any of you have done that, I would love to hear what you experienced and what you have learned/are currently learning from the flip.

2. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

IMG_2668.JPG I built mine that way about 20 years ago. At the time I thought that having the crossmember more forward would make things better if I wanted a rumble seat. Some on here have said that it is better to keep the longer spring base (spring behind the axle) but mine is very comfortable to drive. Having it this way also keeps the spring away from the quickchange.

kidcampbell71 and Asphalt Demon like this.
  3. That's exactly what I was thinking. I picked up a stock Model A frame, and I don't want to Z it. If I move the spring to the front of the axle, it will drop the rear end with the stock Model A rear cross member and the stock '41 banjo spring. Plus, like what you mentioned, it doesn't sacrifice the comfort. To me, it seems like a more obvious way to do things.

4. bct

bct

I did one. open drive. still trying to figure out a third link that works.

5. I'll be sticking with the torque tube. Shortened, naturally.

6. Here is ours on my son’s TROG car. It’s exactly that- a truck center section with flipped axle bells.

Attached Files:

7. The Isky T Not the best photos

upload_2019-8-2_18-3-49.png upload_2019-8-2_18-4-9.png

bct likes this.
  8. Wow! These are great examples! Mr. Iskenderian is still driving that car...

[​IMG]

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  9. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've since moved the rear crossmember in about 6" but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

10. the-rodster

the-rodster