Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 cylinder 350?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uncle Dave, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Jazzie77

Jazzie77

Hey that's wild !! U have any. Pictures or how I can look it out ?

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keith Dordon has a SBC2 made into a V-6 for a LSR rear engine modified roadster on You Tube NA ove 600 HP... Great and shows how he did it all..

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you want a 200 cu in engine to make class, Dodge had a 198 cu in slant six. And, if you are contemplating a supercharged or turbocharged engine AMC had a 199 cu in six that was hell for strong. Barney Navarro built a 700HP version with 105 lbs boost in the mid sixties, twin turbocharged and burning alcohol, to run in the Indy 500.
    https://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/Navarro-turbo-motor/index.html

But no doubt there are more modern engines available that will make more HP with less work.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Actually the SCTA class structure brakes at 120 - 183 CID. And at 183 - 260 cid. So a 200 inch engine would be kind of dumb. The 170 slant 6 has been run in the 183 class. People have run 7 cylinder 283 to make the 260 class. A 4 cylinder 350 can make the 183 class. And many have. Lots of parts around for a SBC. And they work well. When I wanted a 183 motor I used a 3 liter Nissan V6. Lots of them around and some are pretty racy. We had a couple records for a year or two. Then Kent Richies came out with his twin Hayabusa powered car and put us out of that record,

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    XXL__ likes this.
  5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Along those lines

jimmy six likes this.
  6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is a 9 year old thread. By now Uncle Dave has sobered up and decided he can't do this. In fact he has not been seen on the HAMB in 3 1/2 years. But it is still fun.

panhead_pete likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Ha!
    look at article in Hot Rod Deluxe September 2019 starts at page 68: Half-Fast Skeeter (1/2 small block Chevy powered)

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Is it Uncle Dave? I don't get HRD.

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

10. Which engine did Jack use?

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

That engine was a Nissian 300Z or Maxima engine. SOHC two valve engine. But Jack used Honda V4s inline 4s, A five valve Yamaha. Hyabusas, A weird two crank sort of V4 Yamaha. Toyota car 2 liter engine. Lots of SBC engines. One a V7. Flathead. No brand loyalty there.

Tman likes this.
  12. cfmvw

cfmvw

This has been some great reading! I remember reading about an engine that Ferdinand Porche experimented with in the early 1930's when he was working on an air cooled engine for his Volkswagen concept. It was a four cylinder two stroke that ran on two cylinders, with one pair supercharging the other two. It ran strong, but was also prone to overheating.

13. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Ron Cohn - Bob Jucewic have 18 or more Bonneville and El Mirage Classic Gas and Fuel Altered and Classic Production records with their Monza. Some of which use 4-cylinders in a SBC V-8 block.

14. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Saab v4

Attached Files:

15. X-cpe

X-cpe

I know this post is 9 years old, but I have to respectfully disagree. Plugging that hole would shut off 3, 5, 2, &8. (middle 2/ left side, end 2/ right side) Every other cylinder in the firing order.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  16. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

During the gas crunch of the 1970's the highly respected technical journal-Mother Earth News-did an article on running your V-8 on 4 cylinders! The guy I worked for at the time did two of them,a 440 powered ex-police car and a 455 Buick Electra 225.Both cars were so under-powered they were scary to drive. If I remember,you only had to pull the intake to make the modification [drilling and tapping the side of the lifter bore for a set screw to hold the lifter up?]Think you also removed push rods to those lifters. The 4 pistons and rods [2 middle ones on one side-end 2 on the other]just were along for the ride. He kept the Mopar for his wife to drive[poor woman] and the Buick got sold.The Mopar was pretty trouble free,but the Buick would break starter noses about every couple months.

17. Garpo

Garpo

Reading through this topic, I am surprised no one pointed out that the German and British V4 and V6 engine are quite different. Sort of look similar, but nothing interchanges.