Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did I get myself into... 23 Bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowCountry Mike, Aug 1, 2019.

1. All,
    I recently had a T-bucket kit fall to me at an extremely favorable price, basically the cost to rent a trailer and bring it home. I know literally, nothing, about kit cars or T-buckets, and the various methods gearheads use to put them together.

The engine runs well after a little affection, so now I'm onto the brake system. I remove the rear tires and found exactly what I expected, drum brakes. I removed the front tires and immediately turned to Google and YouTube. I'm not sure what these are from, but I haven't been able to identify the hubs, the drums or suspension....nothing. Does any of this look familiar to you guys?

Thanks for looking,
    Mike

Front backplate backside.JPG Front Drum, no plate.JPG Front Drum, with finned plate.JPG Front End.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Another photo with the finned plate attached to the rotor. Front Drum, with finned plate.JPG

3. F&J

F&J

VW bug, 65 or older.

swade41, lewk, jimgoetz and 2 others like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

VW front stub,not hot rod,but Dune Buggy type stuff.

swade41 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Post a photo of the whole car...

7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The VW front was used on early dragsters also, so it's more period correct than one might think. That doesn't mean that it is cool though.

Just Gary, swade41, upspirate and 2 others like this.
  8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

What!!! No pictures of the whole enchilada?! We need pictures man!

nochop likes this.
  9. "Finned plate" on the drum is a wheel adapter.

LowCountry Mike likes this.
  10. slowmotion

slowmotion

Buggy/VW for sure. Actually a quite compact and well engineered design. Hotrod material, not so much...

chryslerfan55 and upspirate like this.
  11. Guys,
    Thanks for the quick responses. So if I were ordering replacement parts for the front, I should base it off of a VW? I went to the good book (Google) and yup, that is it. Say's from a 50-65 Karmann Gia. That was not what I was expecting, but, I'll make it work. Maybe there will be a "what should I put under the front" thread in the near future. Please excuse the messy garage.... Bucket.jpg

enloe, slim38, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  12. Do I see a double tube rail frame sitting behind those headers?

13. A Boner

A Boner

If you could make the top of the pu box parallel with the top of the body sides, it would have a decent side profile. Redoing the dash/center console/and shifter would be a giant improvement too.

raven and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Here's another good post to just see several T's
    T BUCKETS WITH WHITE WALLS...

15. Quite a creative assembly.

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"If you could make the top of the pu box parallel with the top of the body sides..."
    And if you left the box there an tilted up the body to meet it, you would be evolving toward the Grabowski-kookie T bucket!
    upload_2019-8-1_16-16-3.jpeg

chop job, Moriarity, belair and 7 others like this.
  17. If it came with a title ya did ok.There are lots of usable parts there if you want to make a more modern looking bucket. A title without a car is a minor problem.....a car with out a title can be a nightmare.....depending on state.

18. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Definitely has potential! Get rid of that front suspension though... Just my opinion. You can probably find a nice used t bucket front setup cheap. Even new stuff isn't expensive for those cars. I had a chrome axle, spring and wishbones for a T bucket, and a frame but I sold it. Almost had to give it all away.

19. pitman

pitman

Mike, you'll have best lines, if standing back in side view, picture the header pipe set, in a more swept-back style. Plenty of pic's out there. It may help to ensure on full turn the front tires clear. You can modify by cutting wedge sections, gas weld w/torch is easy, once you try it. Simple pipe surgery can make it look fast, sitting still.

20. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

For the cost of gas I would have loaded it up!

clem likes this.
  21. Here is the first rendition of the Grabowski-kookie T that Bruce posted up. This is a true Icon in the Fad T class.
    Grabowski’s-T-Lightnin-Bug-1024x812.jpg

22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Nothing wrong with VW front suspension..........as long as it’s hidden cause it’s kinda fugly. Easy to raise or lower just by re- clocking the torsion bars. Just not really hot rod material though, even though they are tough enough to run Baja.

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To my eyes, the front axle should be moved forward a bit anyway. More reason to change to a T Bucket axle. Not as quick and easy as you were hoping maybe, but worth the effort. Congratulations on the score.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. We all have our ideas of what you should do. My advice is don't do anything to it till you can drive it and decide if you are in fact a T Bucket kind of guy. You got a heck of a deal, that don't mean it's a good place to spend $$$ or time unless you actually enjoy driving something like it. Drive it and let it talk to ya. Then decide if you want to make changes, heck maybe it looks just fine to you and that would be just fine to me. Fun comes in all kinds of shapes and sizes.

chiro, eddie1, raven and 16 others like this.
  25. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I agree with this advice. At the end of the day if the car makes you happy just as it is that is all that matters.

eddie1 and RodStRace like this.
  26. RodStRace

RodStRace

IF it were mine, I'd be pricing the various front ends from Speedway, Spirit, California Custom Roadsters, etc.
    I'd also research what a KG restorer would pay for what you have. Early bug stuff is getting good money. Bus stuff is crazy.
    However as said, your best course of action is to invest in elbow grease and get it as far along as possible before laying out money. Check every nut and bolt, check all the wires, lube stuff, get it so it won't fall apart or burn up, and go from there.
    The bucket of ugly thread, Tim with a T's build thread and T picture threads will help get the ideas flowing.

Just Gary, pitman and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Welcome to the show..... You'll catch a lot bs for the vw front end... But there were a a lot of historical cars run'n them in the day, The frame looks interesting for sure.. rework the dash area a bit, finish it interior wise an enjoy... Ya a straight axle would definitely make it "fit" in here an be pleasing to the masses... But I bet it rides nice now.... The price was right for a Whole Lotta fun!

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. RodStRace

RodStRace

Maybe this guy would like to trade? :)

[​IMG]

29. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Nope, they want the "traditional" style dropped axle for that particular look.
    Hollywood-east is correct, in the 60's there was a trend to different parts n style for the suicide-style front end, not just on T's. The reason the VeeWee front suspension didn't work all that well for hot rods, was because of its' design weight. What, maybe 500-600 lbs on the front wheels for an early bug? I doubt anything more than an 60's aluminum buick/old/pontiac would work in a VW trailing-arm suspended T, for very long w/o issue(s), maybe not even those. The torsion bars just aren't strong enough to work *well* and last. Which is why there are coil-over helper springs on the "overload" shocks, & they're still not enough. Yes you can make it work, some have. Be careful w/the trailing-arm suspension, bump steer can get really wicked. As far as the dragsters using that front end, well, only 1 set of torsion bars & pieces to work w/it. See: Kent Fuller s' stuff. & the dragsters had what, maybe 150 lbs on the front wheels? The suggestion for the Bucket of Ugly thread is one you should take seriously. You've got a good start. Marcus...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019