Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Installing front door window glass (success!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PHIL COOPY, Aug 1, 2019.

1. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

From those of you who have already done this; On my '27 Ford Tudor, should I install metal lifter strip on the bottom of the glass before or after placing the glass into the door, and then follow with the register mechanism?
    Phil

2. Might want to try the Ford Barn for that.

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

On my 32 sedan I dropped the glass in and then set it in the track. It's a sum bitch but I got it.

4. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

What about the steel strip on the bottom of the glass.....install before or after dropping the glass in?

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

Put the glass in first. It will not go through the window opening with it in place.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

No you have to put everything together inside the door.

7. Fordors

Fordors

I did the installation in my ‘32 coupe after a friend cut the glass. He wanted the lower glass channels and I remember him using the glass setting tape and having the fit tight enough that he used a rubber mallet to bop it down in the channel.
    My door and rear window glass was installed with the channels in place.

8. What Fordors said.

9. HemiTCoupe

HemiTCoupe
    from TN.

You need to put the glass in first, then the track felt, then the bottom channel. I have not done mine yet, but have been told so by a few that have, on the Model T forum. (MTFCA)

Pat

10. Fordors

Fordors

It was a long time ago but I recall lowering the glass into the door with the regulator in place, but loose. A friend holds the glass until you can attach the regulator arms, then tighten the regulator screws. Next have the glass low enough to be able to put the side channels and felts in. There are also bumpers that serve as stops when the glass in lowered and a weather seal that gets 3 M adhesive glued to the door.
    It is not the easiest thing to explain, but think about it and you can do this, even though I likely forgot a few of the steps.

11. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Got it installed.....thanks guys. Hardest thing was figuring out how to get the regulator in.

Phil

12. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Got the top back on......ordered seat belts, side mirrors, and a GPS sender for the speedo. Hated to put side mirrors on it but you can't see nuttin' out that tine back window. Took it out to the gas station yesterday(don't tell the law..no registration or vin yet), it ran great at 60mph...happy camper here. Got the paperwork together to apply for a VIN in order to get insurance, registration, and my YOM tag verified. More paperwork than when I bought my house. Oh well...patience.
    Phil