Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Make sure Craig gives you some peanuts when you pick up the bearings! Get that thing together for Monday night in “Drag City”.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like a lot of load hurt that bearing to me.

enloe, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  3. It's a fine line for sure. I'm just glad I found it before drag week. I guess I can add extra bearings and a seal to the spare parts box that goes on the trailer.

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Do these bearings have anyway into the rotors and engine or are they blocked by the rotors themselves where they meet. Do they only make their way into the front gears or back cover if they fail?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. It's two bearings stacked on top of each other at the front of the snout. The chips can find their way into the front cover and gears. Luckily we put the car away after the second pass. Half of the front bearings balls fell out of the cage. That's what caused the dent in the seal. Everything was cleaned up. It's ready for reassembly.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought Ball Bearings were superseded by newer technology...but that seems to be not the case or is this an older vintage you have chose to run?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    enloe and loudbang like this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Or something more robust.

8. squirrel

squirrel

The blower was designed in the 1930s, and first adapted to automotive use in the 50s....the technology is tried and true. But Brian works his stuff a little bit more than the average street/strip blower car. Turns out it needs a bit more frequent maintenance, too.

9. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Not to mention the overdrive on the blower snout An old nitro racer once told me The best parts are just barely good enough and need to be checked often Good catch brian

10. wayne-o

wayne-o

I am sure you know this and I'm no bearing expert but when you have two ball bearings stacked like that they are most likely angular contact bearings designed to take some axial thrust. They must be installed properly (face to face or back to back) per the mfg. to take up any end play in the shaft. They are available in different precisions of fit to adjust end play.

Woogeroo, Stogy, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  11. I didn't know that about the bearings. I will be talking to the bearing store about your comments. Thanks.

Stogy, enloe and loudbang like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

Those are normal ball bearings, not the special angular contact he's talking about.

Stogy and enloe like this.
  13. wayne-o

wayne-o

It was just a thought on the bearings.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

It's a good thought, but we can see the races....they are the same height on both sides.

Angular contact ball bearings were used as front wheel bearings in many GM cars for decades.

Stogy, enloe and Hemi Joel like this.
  15. wayne-o

wayne-o

Agreed, looking at the pic of the bearing it looks like a straight ball bearing. I would still ask about orientating them when installing.

Stogy, loudbang and enloe like this.
  16. 20190801_095900.jpg I just got back from getting parts. As Jim stated the bearings are straight. I got the higher quality units that have shielding on them to keep trash out. The car should be running by noon.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  17. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

You got the nuts!!! That place is the best.

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...that did take me a while to figure out but I get it now...:D

19. frank spittle

frank spittle

You probably know your '65 sold for 17,000 dollars at Mecum. Todd lost a lot of money on his collection. My ex-'64 Dodge Hemi Lightweight sold for a respectable $135,000 but half of the $300,000-400,000 estimate.

20. I called the new owner to buy it back. He wants 50 grand for it.

loudbang, enloe and Stogy like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:eek:...That would one heck of a profit margin...and you probably got the special discount applied...yowser...

22. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I know you couldn’t build it for that but damn if it’s worth that kinda money it will just make mine worth that much more lol

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I was just sharing videos of the 65 this weekend to some older racers. Reading this post makes me ill to my stomach. What the hell is wrong with people, full stop
    Edit: If $34 had been the number I might not have felt the urge waist precious space on this thread. But almost 3x.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  24. Brian, T shirts arrived last week(I think?). Could have been the week before though, wife went through a medical emergency and everything got kinda crazy (she's good now, surgery is healing up nicely!). They look great! Thank's again!

Kurt

Sent from my SM-G955F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget @racer-x is a Humble Man but also a bit of a Drag Racing Icon...He has and continues to do the walk...so this Vintage Race Car has some Provenance...

I suppose the Purchaser probably wasn't expecting him to call and was caught a little off guard..

Surely its provenance will be part of the information in the descriptive text in the sale of the vehicle.

Many here have notoriety that could inflate a purchase price...it's just a fact of life, success, knowledge and experience does effect things...and they hold the bar pretty high on the vehicles to so that effects value too.

As alluded this race car was built to a standard I am sure of very high quality...it has a high level of build guaranteed...and despite a Second Owner which didn't have the knowledge of it's former owner the package probably can still show and perform well.

I wish this had a better ending but this is a bit like stocks buy low sell high...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. Ronnie sox; beswick; butch leal and countless others all built new cars to replace their old ones years after they sold the originals. its not just the car but the personality and how its driven that makes it what it is. I might go down this road if I have to. I wont even consider getting into a project like that until the coupe is successful on drag week. there is nothing I haven't done with the old dodge so returning one to the track would just be doing what I have already done.

27. if any hambers are going to the road kill nights event this weekend in Detroit stop by and say hi. I will be in the mopar car show area along with my sons 69 super bee. we will be there both Friday and Saturday. after the show we will be cruising woodward for the rest of the evening. if you have never been to the road kill nights event its really something to see. the action is right on the street. woodward becomes a dragstrip. hagen and pritchetts mopar sponsored fuel cars will be making passes on woodward ave. several drag week cars show up to make passes. I have seen wheel standers make passes to. you never know who will show up. one side of the street is the track the other side is the pits. mopar has the road course rented providing rides in new hellcats. the demon simulator will be onsite. a mopar only area is set up for a mopar car show. there is a separate area set up for all other makes. most of the better Detroit area food trucks are on the grounds. there is a lot more going on. these are just the high lites. this will be the first time the coupe returns to road kill since the crash.

28. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Have fun brian I wish I could be there but instead I will be reassembling the motor for my afx I now have everything to put it back together

29. 20190810_175412.jpg 20190810_170659.jpg 20190810_162722.jpg 20190810_100045.jpg 20190810_101745.jpg 20190810_102839.jpg The road kill nights was a blast. My son had to work a few hours manning the tent looking for technicians to recruit. It did come with some perks. We were able to take rides in hell cats. There were two courses set up. One long the other short. Being a employee working there he received passes that put us at the front of the line. Its amazing how fast they are and how they can handle. They had a dyno running all day. The midway was larger this year. The action on the street was hot.
    After we were done with that it we were off to cruise Woodward ave. There were lots of cars out. We were able to actually drive around unlike next week. Watching the cars go by was cool as we hit a few places to eat outside. We made a stop at Jimmie Addisons old sunoco station. It's now a valvoline oil change. Back in the day it was home to his 67 gtx. It was the undisputed king of Woodward. The car was a test mule for mopar. The latest parts found their way onto the car for testing. His street car was capable of running as fast as the pro stocks of the day. If only the walls could talk. Our cars ran perfect. It was cool to do this. Its something I have wanted to do since I was a kid. Crashing the car a few years ago delayed me getting a chance to do this.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  30. 20190815_204847.jpg 20190815_203218.jpg I'm full speed ahead getting ready for drag week 2019. Major maintenance is being performed on all areas of the car. Supplies are being ordered to make sure we have what we need. My friends at cometic gasket sent a care package today taking care of our immediate gasket needs. They have been strong supporters of the car. Thank you very much. When I say they make the best gaskets out there I mean it. I have tried them all. They fit right and last a long time. The valve cover gaskets are a big safety item. They have steel washers around the bolt holes and have steel inside the rubber portion for maximum strength. In the event of a torched piston the blow by created can produce crank case pressures high enough to push out oil pan and valve cover gaskets. This could cause a really big fire do to the oil hitting the hot zoomies. We want to avoid that at all costs. The steel washers are like a solid bushing preventing the gasket from being over tightened. This is why we use the best gaskets available.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019