Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 Buick alternator swap question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959Buick, Jul 30, 2019.

1. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

I know some in the H A M B group did an generator to alternator conversion. My alternator and most of the wire are installed. My question is what do you use for the 10 ohm resistor ? and where is the best place to install it?
    If somebody has an picture would be great.
    Any help is appreciated. I want to get the beast back on the road!! But I still have to repair the bloody torque ball

2. squirrel

squirrel

something like this would work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/160367867286?

It needs to go in that wire somewhere between the alternator and the ignition switch, the place is up to you. It can be taped into the wiring harness if you'd like.

3. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Thanks Jim. I was looking at something like this too, just was wondering about the small wire.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  4. squirrel

squirrel

If the car has a GEN light, just connect it to the light, you should be ok without a resistor. If no light, then the resistor will work. Or put a light bulb under the hood somewhere. A light bulb is a resistor, you know.

kadillackid likes this.

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

always used a light bulb under hood.

6. trollst

trollst

If you're using a standard gm alternator, there's a two wire plug on the side and a main power port. Hook up an 8 gauge from the power port to the positive battery cable at the starter, on the plug, you can either hook up the red wire to the power port on the alternator, or, as I prefer, to the fusebox in the car, this wire tells the regulator how much current to put out. The white wire energises the alternator, or more correctly, when you switch the key on, sends power to the alternator....telling the alternator the car is live and ready for it to charge. Hook this wire (white) to the acc side of the ignition switch, so that when turned on, power goes to the alternator, BUT, when running, the alternator sends power back through this same wire to the switch. Hook it up anywhere else, the car will continue to run after you shut the switch off, but the acc side of the switch is separate from the run side and will work as it should if wired this way. It's how I wire my cars.

7. BJR

BJR

buick starter with alternator.jpg
    I don't know if the 59 Buick still has the gas pedal starter switch on it, but if it does wire it like this.

Woogeroo likes this.
  8. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Yes it has, I have the same wire diagram. I just was wondering how the set up with the 10 ohm resistor is

9. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Ok , Thank you

10. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Ok, I give it a try without the 10 ohm resistor. Will see what happens.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  11. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

thanks