Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Fall Run What Ya Brung Silver Dollar Raceway Oct. 5, 2019

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty old man, Jul 17, 2019.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The Fall RWYB event will be held Oct. 5 @ Silver Dollar Raceway in Reynolds, GA Oct 5 along with the SNDRA event just like the Spring event back in April. More info will be posted and if you have questions please post them here. silverdollarraceway.com

loudbang likes this.
  2. brianf31

brianf31

Looking forward to it!

dirty old man likes this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

As is usual for this event, camping without hookups is free for Sat. night and most likely for Fri. night, although if there is racing Fri. night that week, you most likely would pay spectator admission. I'll have to check out Fri. night next time I talk to the track owner(s)/promoters. So if you want to come Fri. let me know and I'll post it here.
    For those like me, who are either too old (me), or just don't like to camp, the track website, linked in post #1, has a link to nearby accommodations, I like to participate in the group cookout on the communal huge grill and the bonfire afterwards. Then I just drive to the hotel in town.
    Questions? Just ask, and if I don't have an answer, I'll get one ASAP and post it here for all to read and also to help keep this thread up towards the front:)

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

An under utilized feature of RWYB is the swap meet. For the price of admission as a spectator, you also have the privilege of setting up a section of cars/parts for sale, using all the space you need, location, fist come first serve.

5. E4FEF723-BF54-4807-B4F2-4DABE15C9BC3.jpeg I’m in. Haven’t really done anything new to the Hoodlum but we’ll be there.

quick85, Floater03, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. Brian did you get your engine back up and running?

7. brianf31

brianf31

Ya. Spun a rod bearing when I over-revved and starved it of oil. I had to get the crank turned and rod resized. I now have an 8 quart oil pan:)

48fordnut likes this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Brian, I never worked on a hi po built 351C, but seems to me I remember some bits and pieces about modifications to oiling system needed on high rpm use. IIRC, it was something about restricting oil flow to lifters when converting to solid lifters.
    And I'm assuming you're running solids from the way you're spinning that engine:cool:

9. I’m glad to hear it’s back together. :cool:

Anyone have a spare 6300-6500 rpm MSD module laying around?

brianf31 likes this.
  10. brianf31

brianf31

Heck, you need to mod the oiling system for moderate performance use. It's the one weakness of this engine family. The circuit does not have priority oiling to the mains; it goes to the lifters first. The trick is use restricted hole pushrods and restrictors in cam bearing passages. Then you run a deeper pan and blueprinted oil pump.

I'm running hydraulic lifters so I'm right at the rpm limit. The next build will be solid lifter.

GAOldsman likes this.
  11. Sounds like you’ve done your homework Brian. :cool:

brianf31 likes this.
  12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Gonna try to run BGII as is, then pull it in shop for some changes over the Winter.
    Planning on a dual disc clutch, not so much for more clutch bite, but in an attempt to lower pedal pressure required as my left leg and ankle seem to still be getting weaker.
    Don't want to start until RWYB is over just in case I run into trouble with the job or my health should slow me down even more than my age already has slowed me down.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    GAOldsman and brianf31 like this.
  13. brianf31

brianf31

Dave, I hope I'm still shifting gears at your age.

GAOldsman and dirty old man like this.
  14. Amen to that Brian :cool:

15. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Sorry been busy cutting pastures and rental property. First time checking in this week. I am in and have my room!

dirty old man, GAOldsman and brianf31 like this.
  16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Brian, when I put the roadster in the parade as requested by the city of Reynolds, along with my '40 coupe driven by my friend Red, he and I learned something. And that was to stay the hell outta parades with a manual shift car with a high performance engine!
    And I also decided I was going to have to make some changes, first to the roadster and possibly later to the '40. Had to decide on either a change to an automatic:( or a dual disc clutcho_O After testing the feel of the dual disc in Josh's ,55 with a much heavier car and a helluva lot more horsepower and torque, and still using it after years in the Can (his 32 5wdw that he sold minus engine) I've decided to go that way first.
    By the time I made a decision and being honest with myself for a change on what I can get done, and how long it takes me nowadays, plus the enjoyment of driving a roadster around all Summer, I'm waiting till after RWYB to start on it so that I'll have about 6 months to get it done.

brianf31 and GAOldsman like this.
  17. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

We are in as far as can tell. Lookin coward to it as always.

GAOldsman and dirty old man like this.
  18. damn it....900 miles always kills my fun....
    have fun you guys and post pics for us that can't make it

GAOldsman and loudbang like this.
  19. WHY WALK WHEN YOU CAN RUN WHAT YA BRUNG

10/5/19 Be There!!!

dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  20. Hopefully we will have another great turnout this fall. I need a flyer to help get the word out since the HAMB hasn’t helped us much. Many people just don’t realize how much fun there is to be had at RWYB. And a lot of locals around here doesn’t even know it exists. Hope to see some new faces and lots of old Hot Rods :cool:

dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  21. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

E92A850E-0193-4A1D-A4CE-16C531B0FA4D.jpeg
    We will be there!!! Can’t wait!

22. Todd553

Todd553

Beautiful 55!!

loudbang likes this.
  23. southcross2631

southcross2631

If we don't break anything at the SEGA race in Knoxville the weekend before we just might haul the Morris down. Installing a 6.00 Gear in it now.
    DSCF3542.JPG

24. I bet that Morris is a handful :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  25. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

Preach!! Would love to see it!!

Are we getting a big grill again?

loudbang likes this.
  26. Todd553

Todd553

I'm hoping to make it this time. I will be bringing my 57 Chieftain.
    IMG_0846 4.jpg IMG_0847 2.jpg

LOWDUG37, 48fordnut, quick85 and 5 others like this.
  27. Nice ‘57 Poncho :cool: You sure don’t see them often.

loudbang likes this.
  28. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

Dang that’s a good lookin ride. Hope to see it!!

loudbang likes this.
  29. And once again I won't be able to make the trek down.

loudbang likes this.
  30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That's a helluva ride for you Andrew, and I don't know how you make it down as often as you do.
    To the rest of yall, Andrew has agreed to see if he can come up with a poster using the pic of Brian's and Scot's hot rods in post # 5 in this thread!
    Anybody interested in taking on the task of T shirts for this?

brianf31, GAOldsman and loudbang like this.