Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Sharing a garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PIECRUST&RUST, Jul 30, 2019.

1. PIECRUST&RUST

PIECRUST&RUST
    from kansas

Anybody else have to share a garage stall with there better half? Mine is pretty supportive of my hobby but has asked I always give one dedicated spot for their daily driver to park. I agreed to it but for myself, I think modern daily drivers with full coverage insurance can live in the driveway. I have 3 cars old cars (one is stored at my parents garage) and a two car garage with only 1 spot to park a project in.

Any one else in a similar spot? How do you get over not getting your dream garage all to yourself?
    I'm okay with the arrangement because I'm lucky and with somebody who would never tell me not to buy parts as long as bills get paid. Just seeing if anybody else in the same spot chimes in with there two cents.

fauj likes this.
  2. Our shop and the canopy out front are too full of hoard to park our drivers in. However My daughter in laws 64 MG convertable is parked in the very NE corner of the shop.

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things...and built a big enough garage for my wife to have one stall and for myself the other seven." from the NHV (new HAMB version)

You're young - enjoy it my friend, the years creep up like a thief in the night. Keep you wife happy - and her car in the garage, there is plenty of time for big shops, fancy tools and a growing car collection.

Now let us all stand and sing a chorus of "Bringing in the Chevs".

4. We have 2 garages,1 for welders-table saws-tool cabs-1 merc flathead and all kinds of "stuff" for construction/domolition.3 path's front to back.2nd garage has my Model A,her '79 Jeep(works in progress)3more flattys-her tools and mine.We work togather and I"m DAMN lucky.:)

rust runner and King ford like this.

5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

She gets her spot - you get what's left.....

6. Just asked her if her car is broken? You take cars to the "garage" to get repaired...if it ain't broken it drives, therefore it belongs in the drive way.

alanp561, Jermo and The37Kid like this.
  7. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

My wife gets one spot in the three garages and it was for her daily driver...until she got on OT High Performance car of her own now her DD sits outside and her fun car sits in the garage. I’m good with that.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

seb fontana likes this.
  8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Last year we had a 2nd garage built - our daily drivers (2 newest) are still out in the rain.

Texas Webb likes this.
  9. ken bogren

ken bogren

If your better half shares or at least tolerates your hobby letting them park one car in the garage doesn't seem like a big sacrifice.

10. gene-koning

gene-koning

When we got married, there was no garage at the 1st house we bought, so I rented one to work on my stuff in.
    When we bought the 2nd house, all the stuff I had in the rented garage took up all the space, I had to move stuff around to get a space inside to work on something. The Mrs didn't like to park her car that close to all that stuff.
    When I opened my shop, I rented a big shop and most of my stuff went there. We moved to house #3 and the Mrs got to park her car in the garage. She really liked that.
    When we bought house #4, there was only a 2 car garage, and all the stuff from the rented shop (40' x 60') had to fit, I got rid of a lot of stuff. The Mrs claimed one stall of the 2 stall garage. I had to add an 8' x 24' extension on the side of the 2 car garage. I made my living out of that 2 car garage with the side extension for the last 16 years. If I have a paying project, the Mrs will park her car on the driveway, but if there isn't a paying job, her car gets its parking space inside.
    Happy wife, happy life, 43 years and counting! A little garage space is very little inconvenience for all the stuff I've put her through. Gene

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Feel the pain
    [​IMG]

Frankie47 and LOU WELLS like this.
  12. That’s funny because that is from the Cheryl’s she shed commercial, my wife’s name is Cheryl and last year I re-did a large shed and put up a sign the says “Cheryl’s she shed”

fauj and LOU WELLS like this.
  13. Bmac40Ply

Bmac40Ply

My wife had a spot as well for her daily, then she got a Corvette. Her daily now sits outside, but she still has her spot!

65pacecar likes this.
  14. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've got my garage all to myself and she has hers..................on the other side of town, it doesn't get any better than that. :)

15. trollst

trollst

Funny....was talking earlier today with a bud over the same topic, 40 years ago, I explained to the one who thinks she's boss how it was gonna be. She gets the inside of the house, I get the inside of the garage, she has a ton of storage, but not in my shop.
    For 90% of the guys on this board, there are pics all over the house of kids, parents, sisters, kids in law, happy times, but no pics of cars or pics of my hobby, EXCEPT in the computer room where she will "allow" a few. Think I'm wrong? Take a good look around your house, it's all her stuff, her choice of drapes, furniture, flooring, paint colours, even the duvee on the bed. Thats why she don't get no garage space, I have a great wife and marriage, been 40 years, and we did it together, and she understands that my shop is MINE, not to be fooled with.

16. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

It rains in Arizona ? :confused:

Texas Webb and 41 coupe like this.
  17. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

There’s that one day of the year ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

We now have a one car garage that has the washer and dryer and freezer. My Morris Minor and some of my tools fill it up and her truck sets outside.
    When we lived in Florida we had a one car garage attached to the house and a 30 x50 work shop.
    Her truck wouldn't fit in the one car so we kept the motorcycle in it and her truck sat in the driveway , with no complaints from her.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF2600.JPG

I just made room for the Hupmobile last month. the kids are grown so my wife has the entire second floor of the house, everything has worked for 41 years now.

Bob

20. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

"The Best Way To Save A Marriage Is With Two Buildings". 60359293_2305031453154456_2739011965916545024_o.jpg

21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Right now I have the whole garage (24 by 30) but as soon as winter comes her Miata goes in. Not sure what I will do when she also gets her Dad's 60 Lincoln convertible, there is no room to add on as I built the garage as large as zoning would give me a variance for. I keep telling myself she is worth it.

22. Daily drivers sit in the driveway at my house, as far as I am concerned they are necessary but not pampered and loved like the old cars. HRP

23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

PIECRUST and RUST
    Anybody else have to share a garage stall with there better half? Mine is pretty supportive of my hobby but has asked I always give one dedicated spot for their daily driver to park.

Build an inexpensive metal carport extending out from the garage and have a "cute"sign made saying "XXXX Parking Only" with her name where the XXXX is. Then she has protection for her car and is happy with her dedicated spot.
    You get the whole garage.

Not sure how they do it other places, but you can often build a carport with no walls other than an existing wall of a building and have no zoning problems. Had a neighbor who did that many years ago. Then after a year or two he added a couple more side walls. And eventually he added a door. No one ever complained.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  24. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I would think about building a large storage shed if I were you....;)

The37Kid likes this.
  25. as long as she's letting you...ahem...park in her garage.....you'd better let her stay.

26. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF2611.JPG

There is a 10 x 20 shed a mile away I may make a deal on.

Bob

ekimneirbo likes this.
  28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I let my wife park the washer and dryer in my shop, if she gives me to much crap, it will go outside with her daily.

49ratfink likes this.
  29. jazz1 and VANDENPLAS like this.