Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods DAMN Chip and Seal Roads, Anyway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Jul 30, 2019.

1. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I'm working in the shop this morning. I look out and there goes the tank truck laying down oil or tar or whatever the hell it is edge to edge on the road. Right behind it is the gravel spreading machine. I see my buddy Kelly on the machine and had to go out and MF him. They surrounded me with chip and seal. I now have to drive 3 miles through loose gravel and tar to get to a highway. I'm pissed. I live in the country in central Indiana where everything is laid out in square miles. They have chip and sealed all the east/ west roads and the north/ south roads between me and the highway. I just rebuilt the SBC in my '27 fenderless roadster and would like to get it out. That ain't gonna happen for several weeks. You could almost take a nap in the middle of my road, there is so little traffic, so it will take a while to throw all the loose gravel off. My daily driver is a 26 T coupe with fenders. I drive it year round in all weather, but I'm not gonna drive it on new chip and seal. I just painted it last summer. I guess I'm out of the hot rod driving business for a while, dammit. I don't have anything but hot rods, so I hope my wife will let me drive her OT POS.
    How many of you guys live on chip and seal roads? It's a PIA ain't it.

2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang and jaw22w like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Grew up in a town where all the street got that treatment other than the highway that the state took care of. Made for some slllloooooowwww drives to the pavement

jaw22w likes this.
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Down in Ga . about 20 years ago they tried an experimental stuff that was supposed to make the gravel stick faster. They ended up shutting down about 20 miles of highway 82 because that shit turned into bubble gum and cars were grinding to a stop with their fenderwells packed full of that stuff and gravel.
    Huge lawsuit cars had to be towed and the paint jobs were ruined. They had to repaint my Dodge conversion van. What a mess.

5. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got chip and seal for about 200 yards. The up side is that the county only does it about every 10 years whether it needs resurfacing or not.

These bastards just raised my real estate taxes $1,400/year so I expect every road in the county will now have asphalt--or not.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Dave Downs and jaw22w like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

ten miles of chip seal between me and town. And a quarter mile of dirt before I get to that. used to be a mile of dirt. I got nothing against chip seal. But I don't have any show cars, either.

7. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

It doesn't just suck for cars either. I grew up in the middle of nowhere and the roads were "improved" (were dirt) by using oil and chipped gravel. I had to walk about a half mile to the buss stop and can distinctly remember our new and improved road coating my shoes in black goo and pieces of gravel. It certainly didn't help my cool guy image:rolleyes:

loudbang, Texas Webb and jaw22w like this.
  8. Here in the Sunny South we call it tar and gravel, I don't let it stop me from driving my old Deuce, the car has rock chips and is not a show car, I do slow down until I get to better roads.HRP

jaw22w likes this.
  9. You need some friends with a Prius or other electric cars that can run up and down the road to pack it down. The electric cars wouldn't cost anything but some recharging time.:rolleyes:

Texas Webb, jaw22w and Flathead Dave like this.
  10. The chip seal don't really help the roads. and any fenderless car or trailer will sling that stuff at oncoming traffic. paint chips don't worry me. Its chipped and cracked glass that gets expensive. They use washed pea gravel here quite often its worse than crushed chips.

jaw22w likes this.
  11. I don't mind it so much if they actually use chips.... It's when they use gravel that I get pissed...

jaw22w likes this.
  12. I complained to my County after they did my street. They claimed there was a big savings of my tax dollars over re-paving. After the first Winter and snow plowing of the roads, it's loose gravel and cracks everywhere. I told them that I don't see the savings if you have to repeat this process every couple of years. A proper re-pave on a quiet, one way residential street can last for 30 years.

13. 42merc

42merc

Would you believe the road I use into town was 'chipped & sealed today.

jaw22w and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Lol. My grandfather had an old mining ramp truck, for machinery hauling. He'd just load his cars on it, and leave it at the top of Hoist Road, in the church parking lot.

I'm still young enough to hear the old Bell telephone clang ... when my grandmother, would call to get her car a ride home. Off to the church parking lot he went, in the ramp truck ... two miles down the road.

They'd tar that road every year, Papa was always pissed. Old stinking ass coal tar pitch and gravel. He sure loved his polished rides. Sure do miss him. God bless West Virginia.

15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was the claims officer for a California Department of Transportation District with both I-15 and I-40 in my District. Every summer my phone would ring off the hook with complaints about broken windshields and headlights not to mention paint damage to cars and boats from contract chip seals on these interstates. The main issue was with impatient drivers who wouldn't stay in line at a reduced speed and would pass the cars that were, throwing gravel on everyone else. These large jobs were done under contract and the contractor tried to do as many miles as possible in the shortest amount of time which made things even worse. The state was additionally insured which placed the blame on the contractor but there were still a whole lot of being really pissed at the state and chip seals as well as the contractor. This was many years ago before I left for another agency so I don't know if the state is still doing chip seals or not but I hope not.

loudbang, jaw22w and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 1982 when I left home with my freshly painted truck for the Chevy-GMC truckin Nationals in Ogden I got about 5 miles from here and they were chip sealing a 20 mile stretch of the road I needed to take. Had a follow me car to keep every one going slow and I was the first rig behind him. About 2 miles at 30 mph and some a-- hole in 70 something van with tires sticking five inches outside the fenders blows past me and the follow me car. put a ding in my freshly chromed grill and a chip in the windshield.

jaw22w and Bandit Billy like this.
  17. 2935ford

2935ford

They do that here and ruin half our Hot Rod driving time! :(

jaw22w likes this.
  18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I wish my roads were maintained. Instead of stone chips we loose front wheels, ball joints, shocks, a-frames, tires, even whole cars.

theHIGHLANDER and jaw22w like this.
  19. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

In a car is tuff enough , run across it on a bike for the true meaning of using potty words . They did my parents last year , this summer it is a mess x 10 . The crap is all over everything including my parents house .

20. I bought once out to the sticks.
    9 miles down a gravel road.
    I sold my GTO before I moved

jaw22w likes this.
  21. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Oh, all the bumps, holes, ridges, etc. are still there. If you drive over 25-30 mph, you are risking all those components you listed. I have a 38 year learned path that weaves from one side of the road to the other for the mile in front of my house that avoids a lot of the worst ones. I could probably drive it in my sleep..... wait! I think I have.

Tim and Johnny Gee like this.
  22. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yeah, I just looked at the wife's car. She's been out twice. Tire are white. Tar all over the sides with a good coat of dust. My cars are inside, but everything outside is coated with dust. Dust just boils every time a car rolls by. And I'm 250 foot off the road! And yes I have been on it on a murdercycle, too. Not fun.

23. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

What were you thinking?

24. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

So what exactly are they putting on the roads? Is it liquid tar or is it oil? If it is oil then there is an environmental issue. Up here is a very serious offense to dump oil anywhere and if you are caught dumping oil of any kind; then you are facing a huge fine and held responsible for the cleanup.

jaw22w likes this.
  25. gene-koning

gene-koning

We lived on a gravel road with a 3/4 mile trip to the chip and seal coat covered road, that was a 2 mile trip before an actual blacktop road. We did that for 16 years. Fenders with a thick coating of rubber undercoating with a real slow drive was the only way you drove the hot rod, and then when you got into town, the car wash was the 1st stop.

It didn't take very long before I had a much higher preference for the chip & seal road then the gravel road. The chip & seal road was at least consistent in the surface once the loose pea stones they used got pressed in or pushed to the side. The gravel road changed almost daily, sloppy wet when it rained, dusty if it hadn't rained for a couple days, washboard surfaces on most of the uphill sections, or after the turn off the chip & seal road. Always loose gravel, and lost of stones flying if you met someone going the other direction.

They used to "resurface" the chip & seal road about every 4-5 years, but the gravel road got a fresh load of gravel every other year (you ought to try driving on a fresh 3" layer of gravel if you think the chip & seal is bad). An added bonus with the gravel road is they regrade the gravel every fall so its all nice and loose for the winter (it did fill in some of the holes though).

I don't miss either of those road surfaces, but I sure miss that out of town living. Gene

TrailerTrashToo and jaw22w like this.
  26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Tar is actually heavy oil.

27. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I would be surprised if the county is using an unapproved substance (but not totally shocked). My guess would be something similar to the goo used in asphalt, which I'm pretty sure is a petroleum product.

28. Right after graduating from college I resumed my summer intern job with Kansas City Public Works as an inspector on chip and seal projects. I rode on the chip spreader, which had no additional seat other than the operator's, but I sat on a ramp right next to the diesel exhaust of the engine. My job was to take the chip tonnage tickets from the tandem dump truck drivers as they backed up to the spreader hopper. Dangerous as hell! One mistake and they could run over you. Liquid asphalt spray was constantly in the air, along with a cloud of limestone dust. By the end of the summer I was coughing up globs of tar- and rock dust-mucus, had constant headaches and was losing my hearing in the left ear closest to the exhaust. Once paving season was over, they moved me back to a survey crew. I was soooo glad.

jaw22w and Hnstray like this.