Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 283 ID. Never seen this.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I always thought '58 was the first year for the Turboglide.
    We had a '57 BelAir in the shop (Mayfield's) in '59, Red said some 'joker' must have installed the 'newer' transmission.
    We replaced the T.G. with a Powerglide also.

loudbang and Gman0046 like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

you ruined a rare car! damn.

:)

3. I don't ever remember anyone replacing a turbo glide with a powerglide. Everyone I knew chopped a floor shift hole in the floor and installed pedals and a stick trans. They chopped the hole in the floor with a hatchet and a shop hammer. You did not dare to use a cutting torch. the oil and trans fluid coating under the floor would be a great inferno.

4. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Am I remembering right that the crank in turboglide equipped engines weren't machined for a pilot bushing. My 73 year old brain might be failing me, again.

loudbang likes this.
  5. 50styleline

50styleline

Out of a 57 Nomad. Don't know if the starter mount pics help you any. It's supposed to be a 283 but could be an earlier 265 and it is mated to a powerglide. 20190728_200647.jpeg 20190728_200533.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G935P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

It had a trans adapter that let the stock bell housing /flywheel /clutch etc bolt to the stock willys 3 speed top loader. It looks like a standard GM pilot bushing to me , but that was probobly put in when the swap was done.
    still no word on the head casting numbers.

loudbang likes this.
  7. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Sorry , for not replying sooner . No to the turboglide and the sedan delivery hydramatic being the same . later Bill

loudbang likes this.
  8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok. Got you . I knew the hydro and the glide and turbo glide were different. The hydro is big/ and heavy. Just about every American auto manufacturer except chrysler maybe used them in something. Am I right in thinking I even saw them in a ford/Lincoln?

loudbang likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

sure, lincoln, hudson, nash, rolls royce, kaiser, all over the place.

10. gear-head-mike

gear-head-mike

11. gear-head-mike

gear-head-mike

12. gear-head-mike

gear-head-mike

turbo glide was a buick dynaflow in chevy clothing. the multistage converter was the feature and we all know what a great hot rod trans the dynaflow was thus the popularity of the turbo glide. like the say "when you screw up make it a feature"

13. gear-head-mike

gear-head-mike

anybody out there ever trick up a cast iron glyde?

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^I traded a scattershield I could't seem to sell, for a cast iron Powerglide, that had been in the Spivey-Anderson 57 Chevrolet, Junior Stocker^^^^. That 57 was originally a 150 Model that had been converted to 210 trim, but they left off the belt-line trim (???). That Glide was a full manual shift, but it did't come with a torque converter; we used a 4 cylinder, early Nova/Chevy II converter with the air cooled vane removed from it. I sold the trans to the son of a Nurse I worked with, and he put it in a 61 Chevrolet 4 door sedan (Bel Air???), and had to shorten the front driveshaft. He was happy with it, other than it shifted "too hard" under WOT. His grandparents had given him the car, they were the original owners, so it was in really nice shape. Then he got into Corvair's and sold the car. Junior Stocker here on the HAMB currently has Kyle Marshall's 57 Sedan Delivery Junior Stocker survivor. It has a cast iron Powerglide in it; might reach out to him. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  15. Drew’s 54’

Drew’s 54’

I recently picked up a 54’ GMC. Wanting to put a hydro back in it but can find the bellhousing adapter for a GMC straight six. Would anyone happen to have one on have information on how to set it up? I have a B&M Hydro Stick as well as what I believe to be a factory Chevy hydro.

16. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mitch,

Old post, but block looks like it bulges out along pan rail. Heavier Block in Coolant area. If my eyes are working.

There was a Canadian block 265, maybe 283...they pushed out coolant passage for clearance due to 1/2in thick
    cylinder walls.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The 57, 265's were the base line V-8 with a 3 speed transmission. The 283's were all options, regardless of transmissions or induction. Almost nobody knows that; everyone knows the 283 came out in 57, but not that the 265 was still the base V-8 engine with a manual transmission. No 265's with any automatics. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

jimmy six and Elcohaulic like this.
  18. Truckedup

Truckedup

TRY "OLD GMC TRUCKS" forum. You will have to join up to view it....You will find info there...
    https://oldgmctrucks.infopop.cc/eve?csra=Y&s=272004236

19. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Butch.
    I started working in a gas station, a couple of days after I graduated from high school, (1963). I was forever getting gear oil in my hair when the car was on the lift. I understand your dislike of the smell. To this day, I feel the same way.

20. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^^^^^
    Better gear lube than diesel ....

'57 265 engines were installed only in 150 & 210 series manual trans cars - all V8 Bel Air production was 283 .

21. I heard the starter bolt spacing for the turboglide was different than any "modern" chevy engine..supposedly all by itself.
    I had a three high school buddies who bought 58s with turboglides. I rode with them to find when they shifted out of GRRrrrrr [grade retard] into drive under power, they would grab violently with a huge BANG! All 3 cars were convertible Impalas and 1 got a powerglide and 2 got 3 speeds when the Turboglides blew up. BTW, when those 58 convertibles drove diagonally accross the drive in movie "humps' they'd snap and pop like crazy! The Y-frame wasn't a real good idea.

olscrounger and 302GMC like this.
  22. southcross2631

southcross2631

Funny about all of the turboglide bashing. My uncle who was the truck shop service manager at Summerfield Chevrolet in Flint, Mi. bought a brand new 58 Belair with a 348 with a turboglide and drove it everyday and used to come up to visit us in northern mi. and pulled his fishing boat every time.
    He liked the combination so well that in 1960 he bought a new El Camino with the same 348 turboglide combination and drove that until the 64 El caminos came out.
    My dad drove a 1960 Chevy 4door wagon with a 283 turboglide until 1969 when he bought new Impala. So they couldn't had a 100 per cent failure rate.

winduptoy and Hnstray like this.
  23. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The Turboglide was a fine unit for blue haired granny ladies and family cars. The problems arose when someone under 50 years old stuck it in "GR" or "HR" & punched it .... GR & HR stood for grade retard & hill retard. If full throttle is applied in that position, it turns the insides into mush.
    Chevrolet sold a fine retrofit Powerglide kit - came in a fitted wooden crate complete with a typed apology ...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Mitch, your block have an oil filter mount? Lippy

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  25. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

" I love the smell of gear oil in the afternoon, It smells like victory, or catastrophy
    I' d sooner smell gear oil than silicone sealant.

26. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Did you used to race down at Sears lot in Lawrenceville?

27. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Damn, I never knew that and I've been into Chevrolets since 1960.. Thank you Butch..

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  28. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I like the smell of exhaust, oil and gasoline after a good run turning better times then you thought your car could ever do...

Budget36 likes this.
  29. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Turns out it was a 265. Engine wound up getting freshened before the new owner put it back in a 56 pickup.I just got the word. Figured I owed it to you guys for picking your brains. I did how ever learn a lot. I grew up around 3 and 4 speed trucks/cars. I cant remember an automatic in our driveway as a kid until around 74 - which was a 98 olds that was the Sunday/ vacation car lol.

loudbang likes this.
  30. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Nope. Never got down there. We hung out at the Eat n Park in Monroeville.

Elcohaulic likes this.