Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T 1960's kid's book -- fixing up an old red Model T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Matt Franklin, Mar 8, 2005.

1. There was this cool car book I remember my dad reading to me when I was little.

The story was about this old beat-up red Model T (or A?) and how this dude fixed it up. The car was red. One of the drawings I remember was the guy using a classic panel beater hammer to straighten out the fenders. I think it was my first exposure to the concept of fixing up vintage tin. It must have left an impact on me.

Does anyone remember this book? Title, author, or publishing company?

Now that I have a little one of my own, I'd like to read it to him.

2. BigJim394

BigJim394

3. DrJ

DrJ

I vaguely remember one where the kid wanted to fix up a Model T or A but his dad hauled home a Star and told him this is what you get, and he didn't like it at first because it wasn't "cool" like a Ford but as he worked on it it grew on him...
    Or I made that up in a childhood dream and it being a book was part of the dream.... :confused:

(Had to be a childhood dream, adults only dream of Lillith or a grim reaper.)

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

"The Red Car" was about a kid restoring a crashed MG-TC with the help of the local mechanic that at one time worked at the Bugatti factory.

5. You guys are awesome. Thanks!

6. Old, old post, but I *finally* got my answer. The book was "The Little Car that Wanted a Garage" by Catherine Woolley. I got a vintage copy on Amazon a couple of weeks ago. Just thought I'd close the loop.

7. Jokester

Jokester

WOW,

8. Jokester

Jokester

Fourteen years to completion. Sounds like my projects.

Truck64 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. Rckt98

Rckt98

Haha. I imagine your "little one" is well past having stories read to them now.

10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Most awesome Matt, thanks for sharing.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Matt, I'll look for a copy for my Grandkids. Bob