Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Racing slicks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old wolf, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Ive been looking at my Hoosier slicks. they are old and too tall anyway. I wonder if anyone knows of someplace that recaps a tire as a slick? There used to be a place at Siloam Springs Ar.? That sold slicks.

2. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Towel City Tires in Kannapolis NC.

3. I looked at the towel city site. They are mostly for circle track stock car. Bakl in the day we could leave a good solid casing at a pickup point usually a gas station. and get them recapped. I once got a pair of firestone super belts in 1970 recapped as cheater slicks. They where much better than a set of Inglewood slicks I had at the time. I think it was a place at Siloam Springs that recapped those cheater slicks for me.

4. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

It was called Marsh Racing Tires in Siloam Springs, Arkansas. He built wheels for my old truck many years ago, and then wheels for our Bonneville race car. He quit making tires a long time ago, and to my knowledge he is no longer with us.

Very interesting man.

John

Stogy, catdad49, Deuces and 2 others like this.

5. Shucks its only 235 miles away from me. I was gonna drive over there.

6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are from Towel City. They have yet to hit the road, but I like them so far.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Towel City, just don't have them grooved 100_2636.JPG

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine are Towel City, slightly off the rack. They offer custom sizes like this for my 34 made on brand new, not used carcasses for an upcharge. They balanced nice and run out very well at speed. I had them grooved and siped for a bit more street duty but all of that is an option.
    upload_2019-7-29_19-1-23.png

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with the above about having them "grooved and siped" if you are going to run them on the street. Back in '66, I had a Dodge hemi-powered "T"-bucket with a set of "Ellingson"'s recap slicks. I got caught in a sudden rainstorm coming home from work on a four lane concrete highway, and as soon as the pavement got wet, it was just like driving on "black ice". I had no control on the pavement at all. I ended up driving the final mile and a half home on the right side of the highway with the right side wheels on the car in the gravel, while it was raining like a bitch. It was one of the scariest things I have been through.

One thing about those slicks; they were hard as hell; I had them on three different cars and never saw any wear.:rolleyes:

For you old Minneapolis guys, "Ellingson's" was a full service re-caper on Franklin Avenue; anyone else remember them?

Stogy, loudbang and wicarnut like this.
  10. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

Mine are towel city as well. If I recall, these were called "traditional cheater slicks" 20150814_194313.jpg

11. M&H has a couple of nostalgic style new slicks, in a 9.00-15 and 8.50-14. They were around $230 each the last time I looked.

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You're right, he is no longer with us. Brant Chenoweth passed away four years ago. :(

loudbang, Stogy and Old wolf like this.
  13. 1940Willys

1940Willys

I put some Towel City on my ride after the Hurst Slicks developed a Bubble in the sidewall

Bandit Billy, Old wolf and Stogy like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Are these recaps really made for racing?

loudbang, Old wolf and Stogy like this.
  15. Well I had a set of firestone super belts recapped as slicks. Worked better than a set of Inglewood slicks I had for street and drag racing. The ingle woods if you put enough air in them to handle they would not get any traction. And those inglewoods where mounted on wide steel rims. I got them from a guy that was running a 44o & 4 speed in a straight axle falcon. I quickly found out why he swapped them to me. The recaps where the best for dual purpose. I ran them on a 65 ford mustang. Im certain the tire casings I got Recapped where done by the guy at Siloam Springs Ar.

16. I don't plan on doing any great amount of street driving on the slicks. Just test and tune runs . out on the highway in front of our place. I kinda like the idea of those short 14's Boss 396 mentioned. Short tires do the same thing as lower rear end gears. I want to gear to reach top end in less than a 1/4 mile at 6000 RPM

17. RmK57

RmK57

That's what I was wondering. The slicks bobss396 mentioned are not recaps and look to be a pretty nice product and would be perfect for a 65 or so race car. Myself. I wouldnt feel comfortable running recaps on a dragstrip no matter how slow the car was.

18. I grew up with Recaps. Everyone ran them in the 50's and 60,s most times you wear them out no problems. On the occasion that one slings off most times the tire remains inflated. There are some 825x20 recaps on the back of my 66 ford F600 that I bought used and put on it in 1972. Most times if a cap starts to come loose you detect it before it slings apart. Ive seen more radials fail than recaps.

19. RmK57

RmK57

Would a recap even pass tech?

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think the track prep now would make things a little different, and rubber now days has no life.

21. It will at George Rays!!!

22. If you look on Towel Citys Web site they mention some stuff about their rubber coumpounds and state its long wearing?

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cant say everywhere but they do at PIR. Several of us run Hurst and TC drag tires.

24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Damn it...Next to 3WLarry's car...that's my Favorite hot rod on here...

Chavezk21, Blues4U and Bandit Billy like this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Guess it's like a big truck, you can run them but not on the steering axle.

26. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

36994425_10216583903020967_4993241180608135168_n.jpg Marcus Edell's photo. The rears are Towel City. They seem to ride nice on the street.

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's prestigious company and a very nice comment Pete!

flatheadpete and Thor1 like this.
  28. I suppose to be completely politically incorrectI need to run Recap slicks on the rear and weld up a set of those stacked spindles and install them on the front. Im part way there. My front tires are bias ply trailer tires. I sanded the wording (for trailer use only) off the sidewall.

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Aren't those trailer tires kinda heavy?

30. Pie crust slick look cool, but generally have trouble hooking up. They are more of a street tire, unlike the M&H Racemaster nostalgia slicks. 676-mh_vintageslick.jpg