Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Clutch Setup - 4 speed conversion on 57 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TimCT, Jul 15, 2019.

1. yep

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

TimCT. I sent you a PM about the 57 Chevy clutch linkage parts I have for sale.

3. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

If you are using the 57 clutch linkage, you'll need a 57 - 60 clutch fork. It uses a pin where the clutch rod attaches to the fork. The clutch fork in the photo is a later style.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  4. TimCT

TimCT

Yup, I got one, will swap it out this weekend and hopefully get everything mocked up.

Torkwrench likes this.
  5. TimCT

TimCT

Swapped out the clutch forks, but I'm not wild about the adjustable pivot ball's fit into the trifive clutch fork.

I pulled it all down, then put the new clutch fork onto the pivot ball. It didn't seem to engage real positively, but I soldiered on anyway. Pried on the fork while turning the output shaft, and the clutch disengaged. Felt like I was good to go. Bolted the bell back up to the block and slid the trans in, and apparently the act of wiggling the trans into the bell was enough to disengage the clutch fork from the ball, slipped off just enough for the TO bearing to bind on the shaft instead of slide. I was able to give it a yank and re-engage it, and went on my way.

Fast forward a few hours, and the engine and trans are now in the car, and apparently the fork has slipped off the ball again. Now I'm worried that this is going to be a regular occurrence. The adjustable ball has a flat ground on the top, its not rounded all the way around. I'm thinking about ditching the adjustable ball and getting an OE style replacement in the hopes the fork will stay put on the ball.

6. squirrel

squirrel

you didn't happen to take some pics of the fork, where it fits onto the ball, did you? could be it has some issues....

7. TimCT

TimCT

Of course I didn't, that would have been the smart thing. I need to crawl back under anyway, I'll see what I can do for pics. The spring clip didn't fit particularly well around the back side of the ball, the opening for the clip was too wide for the ball and the ball wasn't snug in there.

8. squirrel

squirrel

I wonder if it's just bent, or if it's a repop part that was made wrong, or like you say the aftermarket ball is the wrong size/shape?

9. TimCT

TimCT

The spring clip seemed to be bent somewhat - one side of it sat higher than the other when the ball was fully into the fork. I'm kinda leaning towards the OE style stuff just not playing well with the aftermarket stuff. When I yanked the fork back onto the ball, I actually pulled it TOO far, and the ball slid out of the fork to the inboard side. That sorta tells me that the shape of the ball isn't a real good fit for the fork.

10. You need to pop the fork onto the bellhousing on the bench. Make sure the ball is all the way seated in the fork, take a good look at it before moving on.

11. TimCT

TimCT

It all seemed good on the bench (floor) and I thought when it popped off the first time that I probably didn't have it seated all the way the first time, and double and triple checked the second time, when the trans was bolted up, but I guess I was wrong.

12. squirrel

squirrel

there was a different style of clutch fork that was forged, not stamped, and had a strange circular clip in it...that's the type that you need to press onto the ball, with the bellhousing on the floor. Those clips break, too. That type fork was used through 54 I think, and also on the 6 cyl cars and pickups for a while longer.

13. The Fork Jim describes was used until 59. then the trucks go a cast fork with the retaining clip Jim described. They stay in place. However on my 55 wagon I use the stock fork that was in the 235 six cyl bell and haven't had any problem at all. Ive also used a 55 thru 59 six fork in a V8 truck bell without any troubles. Possibly the ball in your scattershield is the problem? Can you swap it for a stock GM one?

14. Dennis D

Dennis D

If the t/o brg. is on the trans shaft correctly, the fork will not go inboard enough to come off of the ball I don't think. Peek in there and see if the t/o brg is still where it should be or if it is forward or aft of the fork. D

15. lowbar

lowbar
    from Indiana

Check your pilot bushing for that one half inch intraney problem

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. TimCT

TimCT

I'm thinking that is my next step, toss out the fancy aftermarket crap and get a stock replacement. Funny how I ended up with that one to try to eliminate any issues I might have down the road, and it turns out to be a (potential) problem itself.

17. TimCT

TimCT

I would think the same thing, that just by virtue of the fact that the TO bearing is on the front bearing retainer, there shouldn't be enough slop to allow it to move that much. I'll check that too.

18. 1934coupe

1934coupe

19. mutant55

mutant55

I might be coming in on this a little too late, but Danchuck offers a kit that has all of the components to set this up correctly, the 57 part number is 15899A, it's a bit pricey @ $599.95, but it does have all heim rod ends and a fully splined pedal shaft instead of a partial spline among other upgrades. I also agree with Southcross2631, there are two indentations in the frame for the pivot points for both the manual Z bar, and the column shift linkage, which you can see in the first picture below, most frames have both in place, I took my column linkage pivot out just to clear the area. The Danchuck kit has the same idea as I see you were doing with the flat bar bolting up to the Lakewood bellhousing, but it is longer with no pre drilled hole, giving you a choice on where to put the pivot on the engine side in case you moved it back some as I remember. I Hope this helps, seems like you already have things moving though.

55 Frame Pivot points.JPG

55 Chevy Frame with suspension mocked up.JPG

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just adding further info for OP. All three years had their own parts from under the dash to all the way out to the trans. Some crossed over and some will not. 55 set up is really one off (light duty as compared to the next two years). Getting all three years of parts and assuming they'll work together leads to frustration as there is also some geometry changes as well. Don't ask how I know. :oops:

squirrel likes this.
  21. TimCT

TimCT

22. TimCT

TimCT

Thanks for the heads up @Johnny Gee . I think everything I have is '57 only - the pivot balls in '57 are bigger than 55 and 56, right? I think?

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

For the bellcrank yes. 56 and 57 are the same size.

24. I'm using a '55 Chevy belhousing in my car with the forged fork. The truck retaining clips work well with it, it may even be a truck fork. I've had it for years. I got clips local and did I get clipped at $9 per. Online they go for under $2.

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just putting this up. Tri-Five style.
    [​IMG]

26. squirrel

squirrel

for reference--1950s Truck fork

fork.jpeg

27. TimCT

TimCT

Thats the one that I got - Danchuk #342.

28. I have the truck fork on mine.

221-010.JPG

29. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I'm pretty sure that's a 60-72 Chevy/GMC pickup truck fork. ...

30. squirrel

squirrel

Did they use that with the hydraulic clutch in 60-62? I forget. But it was used from 63-72 for sure.