Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What kind of master cylinders were used?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Doug Hines, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Hi I am trying to build my 31 AV8 coupe like what was done in the 50's. I am using hanging pedals bolted to the firewall. Flathead with top shift 3 speed and torque tube and banjo. I have seen a lot of cars with what look like two single circuit brake master cylinders on the firewall. One for the brakes and one for the hydraulic clutch I think. Does anyone know what make and model of car these were stolen from ? Post 1952 fords? Also does anyone know were they got slave cylinders. I don't want anything that was not available in the day. No millwood trick parts or the like. Also I am well aware of the situation with using a single circuit master cylinder for the brakes so lets please not start another discussion about the safety of that. Thanks in advance for sharing anything you know about this.

2. alchemy

alchemy

Pretty sure the Ansen pedal set my brother is using has a bolt pattern for an early Ford on it. But I would think any Ford up to the year you are building to (1955?) would be appropriate.

I don't know anything about which slave cylinders were used in the 50's, but I do know a lot of guys used 60 Chevy truck cylinders. I promise I won't tell anyone if you use one too.

Texas Webb likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

You've seen pictures of cars like this, right? How about you post a few of those pictures here, and we can probably identify them.

Usually installing a hanging brake pedal is easier if you get the pedal assembly from a donor car, then youll have the mounting bracket, pushrod, pedal, and master cylinder.

If you are looking for aftermarket stuff, it gets more difficult.

As mentioned the one piece dual side by side master cylinder is an early 60s thing, not a 50s thing.

firstinsteele and olscrounger like this.
  4. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Ya I have seen those early 60's GM truck dual units. Those are very interesting. I will try to find a picture of what I am talking about. Is there something about removing a check valve from a brake master to use it as a clutch master?

5. don colaps

don colaps

dana barlow likes this.
  6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Ford were common, either 3 bolt like the early hydraulics or 4 bolt like the late '50s

7. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

How about 1957 ford truck hydraulic clutch set up. Looks like it would take welding up a bracket for the slave but at least the master and slave cylinders are matched. The clutch
    master looks just like a brake master. Just use two? Then use an Ansen type hanging pedal assy.

don colaps likes this.
  8. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Like yo, gotta zoom in to see..

IMG_20190718_135758.jpg

10. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Perfect. Thanks Paul. Those look like post 52 ford brake masters?

11. squirrel

squirrel

The 57 Ford truck clutch master cylinder looks just like the 53-57 car brake master cylinder, eh? Use the correct one for each circuit.

12. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

13. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Thanks to everyone for their very excellent input.

14. ramjet 80

ramjet 80

I'm dealing with this problem on my 28 RP, I purchased a GM truck slave cylinder from Rock Auto , 7/8 bore , my master cylinders, brake and clutch were from a dune buggy. This setup would not dis-in gauge the clutch. I tried a 24" crescent wrench on the cross shaft and still could not operate the clutch. I would like to find someone who has successfully come up with a hydraulic system that works on early Ford cross shaft as it takes a lot of leverage to operate.

15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I think those are '60 T Bird, but should be very similar if not identical to most '52-'62 Ford cars and small trucks..?
    I think the reservoir shape changed slightly and bolt placement moved around some but basically remained the same,
    fill cap design changed but should interchange to get a match..

16. Paul

Paul
    Editor

here's a picture of that one coming together, I used pedals from an Ansen Chevy truck style knock off and built the bracket to work with the Ford masters..

20180722_165315.jpg

don colaps and squirrel like this.
  17. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I built a model-A in 1960 using hanging pedals and 3-bolt master cylinders. The pedal assembly was an after market item designed to use the 3-bolt Ford master cylinders of the 1940s. The pedal assembly was probably made by PSI Industries. I bought a clutch slave cylinder at my local speed shop. He told me they were Chev truck. He bought them from a local dealer for the convenience of us rodders and assured us they would work. They did. I was using a 283 with stock bell housing and Buick trans. I fabricated a bell crank to operate the Chev clutch fork because there wasn't enough room for the slave cylinder forward of the clutch fork. I drilled several extra holes in the bell crank so I could change the ratio if needed. Hope this helps.

18. Just get a brake and clutch master from a '62 or so Chevy truck. Mount them as you would in a stock truck, side by side.

19. squirrel

squirrel

and imagine it looks like it's from the 1950s? :)

20. sunbeam

sunbeam

21. '57 or so Ford masters, GM truck masters, early Ford masters will all work with the GM truck slave as of course, you need the proper pedal ratio. Couple pics showing the previously mentioned masters; my old T, an old Chevy we worked on, and my kid's '34 coupe. first t (Medium).jpeg dual master chev (Medium).jpg dual master early ford (Medium).jpg

Stogy likes this.
  22. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a stock unit from a 1961 Ford econoline van pedals, cylinders, & slave unit, has proven great for 300,000 miles.

dana barlow, Jet96 and RICH B like this.
  24. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Thanks again for all the great input on masters.
    Anyone have pictures of a salve cylinder bracket on the flathead 3 speed trany? I am wondering how many degrees the throw out bearing shaft has to rotate to engage the clutch. So that I can make sure the slave cylinder is providing enough motion. If I know how many degrees of rotation, and the linear travel the slave can generate, I can trig out the needed arm length.

25. Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  26. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

What a find! Thanks and I will look through you thread.

Stogy and cactus1 like this.
  27. town sedan

town sedan

I like the early Mopar alternator too. That's a real time capsule there, thanks for sharing!
    -Dave

Stogy and cactus1 like this.
  28. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

Car Speed and Style - February 1960

Dual cylinders.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  29. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

Rodding and Re-Styling - July 1957

Clutch 1.jpg Clutch 2.jpg

30. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Justin. You hit the ball out of the park! Thanks That is awesome!

squirrel likes this.