Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The "Hamke Car" goes Home

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Trichop, Jul 20, 2009.

1. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

top shelf thing that you did! hope we get to see the results.

2. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

Cool!
    I'll forward to Robert
    Thanks!

3. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Great story trichop! Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us here on the HAMB. I think you did the right thing, and I sure it was a though decision!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Trichop

Best story I've read in awhile! Its all about the Karma.

I wonder how long its been since Robert eat, slept and dreamt about a project (like the rest of us)

5. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

He's doing Great!
    I'm helping him find parts for the "Restoration"
    Body is off the frame at the "Media" blasters
    I'm still working on the guy that MIGHT (still) have the Tracknose tucked away in his garage attic
    you know...............Joe

6. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Found this in a July 52 HRM. I don't think it was on the orig thread. Will post it in case it wasn't. Ohio area reliability run. Really enjoyed this whole epic.

Attached Files:

7. greaser

greaser

I loved this story!
    Trichop, you are the man, I hope you find the car of your dreams.
    I would like to follow this through the complete restoration process.

With all the engine development over the last 50+ years, Robert Hamke should better his fathers Bonneville times without breaking a sweat. Really not much of a challenge there, but running the car down the track again would be the icing on the cake.

8. In case folks didn't see the original thread...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372165

You sir have an entire truck load of good karma coming your way.

Please keep us posted... and thank you for reuniting this car with it's family.

The HAMB... it's utterly amazing some days

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  9. Simply an amazing story!

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

TriChop...This is by far the best second-life-for-a-lost-roadster story I have ever read.

For some, this may have been a 'character challenge'. I'm proud to be on the same board as guys like you.

11. el shad

el shad

Unreal! What a class act!!!!!

12. I found another article on the Hamke roadster
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and dana barlow like this.
  13. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

Not knowing how many on this site/post are familiar with Robert Jr., click this link and look at some of the oval track cars Bob Jr. did. Toward the latter part of his career the modus operandi were late models (and really distinctive) but early on he didn't think outside the box but instead thought decades beyond.

http://floridaracingmemories.com/Drivers/RobertHamke/roberthamke1.htm

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  14. Time for an overdue update. Did the car make it to Bonneville? Pics please......

15. Trichop

Trichop
    from Eaton,Ohio

I haven't talked to Robert in a few monthe
    He got busy with his work (www.hamkeracecars.com) and had to take a break from working on the car
    He is still gathering parts for the restoration..Quick change,hoodside vents, etc
    I'll call him and see how the progress is going

16. Anything new here?
    Finished car?
    Bonneville?

17. chilimac

chilimac

I grew up watching Bob Hamke Jr and Rod Perry drive Bob Hamke's Super Mods at Hollywood Speedway. Perry drove the 119 Blue Jewel and Jr drove a rear engined car. The 119 couldn't be touched. Awesome memories of these cars. rjaustin421 linked to a great site at fla racing memories, plan on spending a lot of time when you check it out.

18. k9racer

k9racer

in the early 70s Bob raced out of Hueytown Alabama with his late model sportsman car. I asked him how slow those cars were compared to the supers he raced in Fla. He said you already know the answer to that. I see cjilimac mentioned Rod Perry he had quite a good time in the Bean Pickers late model car.

19. Darkwing23

Darkwing23

Just read both threads... Wow what an amazing story. Would love to see some updates or progress with the car

20. ebfabman

ebfabman

Just found this thread. Robert Hamke is one of the coolest people in all of racing. Even though I didn't drive one of his cars, he still helped me when he could.
    Thanks Robert.

21. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

would love to see any progress, still going?

22. chilimac

chilimac

K9racer, I was just a kid when they ran Supers at the old Hollywood Speedway. I remember Donnie Allison back home to race there, he was the only one that could give Perry in Hamke Srs, 119 a run for his money.

23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

24. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Is that the same Robert Hamke that builds Hamke Race Cars in North Carolina?

Jimbo

25. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Thank You.
    I had lunch with him back in the mid 90's but was not sure if that was him after all these years.
    I was at his shop getting a front clip put on a Late Model that a friend owns and we all decided it was time for lunch.

Thanks Jimbo

ebfabman likes this.
  26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

the car was his fathers.
    He did build some very fast race cars.
    Donnie Allison drove #88 and he drove 89 when he ran the Alabama circuit

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  27. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Robert is known as a short track chassis expert and he has also been the crew chief for a number of different drivers and he has a real skill for working with new young drivers who are just starting out.

A few of my friends have worked for him welding and installing new front clips or cars and doing just about anything else he asks them to do.

One guy I know moved to N.C. from down here in Florida just to work and learn from Robert for a few years before moving on and today is a car chief for a cup driver with Joe Gibbs and he also was a former crew chief for another cup driver for a few years.

None of that would have happen if not for Robert Hamke sharing his expert knowledge with the people who work for.

Jimbo

28. Frames

Frames

I don't know what's going on here. No mention Robert passed on about 2 months ago. R I P. I considered him a very good friend. He made me great deals on parts I purchased from him. IE; 32 Rat's Glass body, a 241 Hemi and a 59L engine among other parts. I miss him. I sold Robert several S R E mag wheels for the supermodified restoration. His son [ Robbie ] was building a new nose for the " T " about 3 years ago. Have not been able to get in touch with Robbie.