Register now to get rid of these ads!

Colorado Drag Racing Pictures Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobG, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Does anyone remember a '61 Plymouth Valiant wagon that ran at the track in Grand Junction, between 1976 and 1979??? I remember it was a seriously built 225 Slant Six that ran low 12's. It was either white or light blue. Can't say why that car comes to mind right now, but it was such a neat little wagon. That Six sounded so cool!

2. klttltn

klttltn

any assassination pic you can get iwould like to see thank you

3. gunnmetal

gunnmetal

4. BobG

BobG

Here's one taken at CDR

Attached Files:

5. BobG

BobG

Here's a car that I ran at the old Thunder Road track (Mile High Raceway) quite often, It had a BB Chevy with a carburator, later went to a stack injection.
    This was taken at O'Mera Ford in Northglen Co. during a car show.

You might recognize the paint as Keeling & Clayton's California Charger AA/FC
    I wish I could find more pictures of it when we ran it there.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  6. blubiu65

blubiu65
    from Colorado

Ralph Smith still has the green 57. I always remember that car as a kid. Super hard launching 4spd car. It now has a 522 BBC in it with a 4spd. Doesn't race it much, because it will run in the tens and doesn't have a roll bar!! Bad ass!!!

7. blubiu65

blubiu65
    from Colorado

Does anyone have any pics of Ralphs Smiths green 57 back in the day?? I have some modern pics of what it looks like today I will post soon. It would be a kick to see the difference.

8. Lafnbowtie

Lafnbowtie
    from N.Colorado

Hate to see this thread die down! Anyone with photos, hope you post them. My father helped a friend run at CDR and Thunder Rd. in the early '60's, they ran a 'Black '62 Plymouth 413ci and a '62 Buick Spec., out of Louisville Colo.

9. 35chief

35chief

That is Roger Guzman and his driver Rob Williams from the late 70 to early 80's. I would love to see Guzman again! I used to see him at car events and he was always a class act. I still get goose bumps thinking about the way he would stand stoic after the burnout and backup, then ,,,,,,, " BAMB " a lightening fast fist pump and Robbie would dry hop the car on command and about a thousandth of a second after the signal, Then do one or two more! Who needs coffee when you have memories like that,,,, awesome
    I think Rick Rusk drove The Kelvinator, I will try to post a few pics soon of the Corvair when I drove it for Alan I remember jerry and terra kraetly from CO Springs ran brackets with us in The Eager Beaver Cuda funny car.

10. My dad tuned for art and Roger, that avenger car was in my garage in Longmont Colorado, see the Stan Barrett Ford sponsor on the side?, my dad worked there, got them to sponsor that car, had the green angels and several other car's

11. As far as I know Roger Guzman has died, my dad tuned for Art ward and Roger Guzman, last time I saw Roger was at his bar in Lakewood Colo, he sponsored his own car, after the gold rush, black with gold lettering, the green angels and purple pinto, had several in my garage growing up

12. That car and the avenger car, the green angels cuda, and the purple pinto were in my garage growing up, my dad tuned on some of those cars,

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  13. I thought Roger was dead, I know Art ward has died of cancer, my father tuned for them, was at the funeral

loudbang likes this.
  14. This green angels cuda might be the one your talking about, looking at it on my wall

loudbang likes this.

Attached Files:

Attached Files:

17. Great pictures, had the red and white assination 2 the avenger car, green angels and several other car's in my garage growing up, knew art ward and Roger Guzman well, for being a kid

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  18. Another angle

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
    loudbang likes this.

Attached Files:

Attached Files:

22. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Thunder road was a blast. When the wheel standers ran they threw sparks off the skid plates and kept catching the field grass on fire,LOL. They had to stop racing while they put out the fires. At the end of the track was a house . I wondered if any cars ever made it that far. There are now homes where the track was . Too bad all those small tracks go away.

j3harleys and loudbang like this.
  23. j3harleys

j3harleys

20160820_100427.jpg John Dekker had it out at Julesburg Colorado last year. Didn't run it just fired it up for the crowd. I was busy and so was he so never got to talk to him. was fun to see it there.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Deuces likes this.
  24. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Talked to Roger today. Figured I needed to call him after seeing your post.
    He is alive and well!
    No longer work with him, he finally retired and I have moved onto a different shop.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  25. I have some old photos from 61 taken at Jewelsburg Co. strip, but they are all 30's 40's & 50's hot rods.

26. jeffrey derry

jeffrey derry

my dad used to race bandimere cdr and castle rock in late 60s and 70s. he owned a few cars. use to race his vette in denver streets with mike troxel. and then they use to be good friends as a kid i remember playing on the hill at bandimeres. dad ran an altered named war. and the mighty mouse anglia. i have some pics. i had wrote an article on him on colorado racing memories before he died as a birthday present a few years back. i appreciate the owner of that site and what he did. sorry it got hacked. i will dig up some pics.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  27. jeffrey derry

jeffrey derry

anglia. thats me driving i think. lol. mid 70s

Attached Files:

28. jeffrey derry

jeffrey derry

altered. sorry bad pic.

Attached Files:

29. Hi Bob - I’m Frank Estes’ daughter, and just found this forum. Wondering if you found any pictures of my fathers or my uncle Jim’s race cars from the 60s? I did see the one posted and was able to download it (thank you). I have quite a few photos from mid 70s to when he retired from racing. My sister and brothers are looking for pictures. Thank you! Tammy Estes-Adams

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Tat-2

Tat-2
    from SoCal

Rusk N-SA KELVINATOR.JPG Corwin & Johnson 40 Stude Altered.JPG JUDY_LILLY_68_CUDA_2-439x152.jpg 9501188cdd8b9498e89950624abfbaa7.jpg art-ward.jpg

Attached Files: