Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

[QUOTE="racer-x, post: 13173637, member: 81868" we will get there drag week isn't for a few months.[/QUOTE]

"A few months" as in 48 days till teck, Brian!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

feels more like a few weeks, to me

3. my clock does not go tick. its more like bang bang. similar to my exhaust tone on nitro.

loudbang, Stogy, Runnin shine and 2 others like this.
  4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Brian, with the 8.18 pass having such a low trap speed from reasons you’ve laid clear. Could you break down more where you see the car showing it’s potential on this run. Is it simply a combination of 60’, run up to 330’, 60-330’, 1/8, 330’-1/8, 1/8 to 1000? Or is there a specific section where even with this tune it’s getting its move on? A sweet spot if you will? Say compared to a 8.18ish index car running a “full hit”.
    I’m not referring to the cars total sum combination potential. I.E. “it’s got a hemi” in it on Nitro. Nor your well educated understanding of your parts list and driving expertise. As in it should be cable of 5.60s at some point.
    Hope I’m not making this too confusing

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  5. There are numbers you need to run through out the track to get a real low et. On most cars a run under 5.0 in the eighth gets a 7 sec quarter. The fact the car did this on only 62 percent nitro and only 45 degrees of timing shows there is alot more gennie in this bottle. It takes a well tuned engine and chassis to get good track times. As the engines tune up gets better the chassis requires a better tune up also. There is no one good area I focus on.
    I should point out on the second pass on Friday the lenco came out of gear at around 800 feet. I caught it real fast. The engine was leaked down to see if a valve got bent. All the cylinders were around 15 percent leak so we ran it again. Keep in mind the 15 percent is with dykes rings gapped at .050

6. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

It ran 4.98 in the eighth mile, that would translate to 7.78 in the 1/4. EDIT, I typed this before Brians response

loudbang, racer-x, Dog_Patch and 2 others like this.
  7. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Brian, I got my T-shirts yesterday, they look awesome! Thanks!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. thanks for helping support the car.

Stogy, loudbang, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  9. Things keep going well. We made two more passes on the car today in the 90 plus degree heat. It keeps going faster with each pass. The last six passes it has gone faster. Today we finally cracked the 7s with a 7.8 pass. The 60 foot was a all time best of 1.160. The eighth was 5.0
    I have now gone from a 70 bypass pill to a 125 pill. The plugs are just starting to show some heat. The timing was bumped up to 48 degrees. This is shown in the 60 foot. On the second pass it pushed out the blower snout front seal oiling the windshield. I let off at 900 feet because I couldn't see. Might have been a 7.5 or faster pass. It's getting there. 20190728_152945.jpg 20190728_155655.jpg 20190728_182221.jpg

10. squirrel

squirrel

Congrats! just keep it all together for a few more weeks....

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy Hotrod @racer-x...Smokin' It!!...Your smile says it all...

12. Budget36

Budget36

Wow. Just wow.

Stogy, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  13. Brian, I think you build a H O T R O D

14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Way to go Amigo

15. loudbang

loudbang

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Flying now!!!

enloe, Stogy and racer-x like this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I’m predicting a 7.37 pass soon and 7.18 by Drag Week. I have no scientific data for these numbers. But I did consult the great Zultan at the county fair last Friday.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    loudbang, racer-x and enloe like this.
  17. i most likely wont race it until drag week. this coming weekend is the elkhorn car show and swap meet. I like to drive the car to that show. after the show we go to a cool old drive in located in east troy. they have a car show every saturday night. to finish the day off we make a stop at Georgie porgies for their car show. its a full day of driving the car and eating greazzey food.. the following weekend is road kill nights in Detroit. we get into seeing nitro funny cars and dragsters racing on a public street. my son and I will cruise woodward ave and check out all the cool cars. the week after that im on emergency call for work. that brings me to the end of the moth then its time to get everything organized for drag week.

18. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I would check the crank too...May have bent it...That pulley took a pretty good hit...I always used engine limiter in motor plate mounts...My hemi car has steel mounts with thru bolts like the old flatheads...Glad you didn't get hurt really bad....I always thought a street fuel coupe would be neat but setting the engine back 25% would be hard on this old guy...Good luck with the repairs...

loudbang and enloe like this.
  19. rooman

rooman

You maybe should read a bit deeper into the thread. Since that photo there has been an on track incident that resulted in some more damage and the engine is now a late hemi--a WHOLE lot has happened since the post that you are referring to.

Roo

20. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

So I guess no one will be at lunch this Saturday. Most of the normal group is headed to Louisville for the Street Rod Nat’s and you are headed to Elkhorn, I will have the table all to myself!
    You did good at da’Grove last weekend! I thought I heard the thunder!
    Later........

loudbang, racer-x and enloe like this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Any most recent vids or GoPro shots from this last batch of passes?

22. not that im aware of.

23. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

24. thanks dave. cool pics.

Stogy, dirty old man and loudbang like this.
  25. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

The pics are ok. The subject matter is cool.

I do like the shot with the kid covering his ears as you started your burnout. Even with earplugs in, having those zoomies pointed at you is quite a sound.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

It’s basically Milner’s car. Only in Sour Apple instead of Piss Yellow.
    [​IMG]

27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Whoa maybe you could get sponsored and give these out at the track Brian. Only instead of bubble gum center it could be like pop rocks mixed at 80%, Boom!

I too can’t handle Nitro hot sauce.

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  28. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Yup, pretty much exactly the same as milner's except for the paint.

If you don't count the blown nitro burning Hemi. :)

29. It's a question of what came first the chicken or the egg.
    I took the front snout off the blower to find a little more than I thought was wrong. The seal was junk and so were the two bearings that press into the snout. The races look trashed. There was oil in the case. We use Brad Penn blower oil. A ball bearing looks like it put a good size dent in the back side of the seal. Good thing I'm off Thursday so I can run to bearings inc in oak creek. The rotors spin fine and are not hitting each other.
    I forgot go mention at byron on the last pass the street spark plugs had their ground straps burned off. This can cause the engine to diesel as the ground straps are glowing orange. So last Sunday I put my nitro warm up plugs in place of the street plugs. Problem solved. Who would have thought that could happen. We are always learning. The nitro plugs can handle more heat. They are short side gap plugs. They don't have a long ground strap hanging into the combustion chamber. 20190731_212721.jpg

Dog_Patch, chucky1, Woogeroo and 5 others like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...You certainly skirt a fine line with this beast of a car as much as you respect it...I am sure like most racers your results assist development of stronger safer components...

racer-x and loudbang like this.