Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Here's to the Disrupters...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is an excerpt from another thread where I posed a question which remains unanswered regarding the PPE. This whole hobby thrives on vintage dreams of going fast and being cool acted out to become reality and in many cases remaining dreams...some becoming fantasy art ie. Ratfink, Zingers.

It is interesting how there seems to be attempts to mold the evolution in a way to erase what actually happened.

Heres a challenge...Find more pics of this Apple Kart

[​IMG]
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/another-good-one-left-us.1007134/#post-11366491

[​IMG]

The late Fred Schritt was responsible
    for a Purple People Eater (above). Does anyone know if it is or influenced the Cheaters PPE Hotrod? Curious minds wants to know...

[​IMG]
    http://midstateantiquestockcarclub.com/events_sherrill_car_show_sept23_2006.html

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...genized-hotrods.1002926/page-16#post-11374388

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    scott27 likes this.
  2. Yes it is when mainstream hot rods aren't traditional. Here are two examples:

I remember in 1978, when vans, 'vettes and high-MPG 307/PG-powered resto-rods dominated the streets.
    Phil Cool's bright orange blown rat-powered deuce roadster with drag slicks shocked rodders into remembering that hot rodding was about performance, not Star Wars murals.

Phil Cool 04.jpg

Then in Nov 1982, when glitz was over the top, the Eastwood & Barakat sedan showed us how to have fun with simple, primered hot rods.

hrdp-1982-november-cover.jpg

scott27, mad mikey and Spoggie like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There would never have been a Hotrod or Custom if "thinking outside the box" didn't exist. It is an everchanging reality of the quest.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

48 did this truck have fenders and what year was it that you saw this truck?...just curious...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  5. 327Eric

327Eric

I thought Jimmy Shines truck was the cats meow, one of the best looking rods I had ever seen. Then I saw it again with the ugly milk truck wheels, and it became an also ran.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can only disrupt with a style once. After that it becomes repetition, which is the very definition of tradition.

So no, disruption is not traditional. Disruption is antithetical to tradition.

32Stoker likes this.
  7. A Boner

A Boner

The traditional hot rods are the disrupted hot rods that turned out really good and then got copied over and over again. The "really good" is constantly being refined.

Stogy likes this.
  8. sololobo

sololobo

veering off course is not always intercourse, Voo Doo Larry's awesome new custom is so amazing and far from traditional. sorry not hip enough to post a picture!

9. axle

axle
    from Drag City

99% of the "hot rod" world will never understand exactly what Rudy did to his truck , to make it so different . There was more than met the eye. I know, as I was there when he was putting it together in his old Buena Park,Ca. home. Today, these bozo's take 1940's pickup's, remove the fenders, channel the cabs, and "wah-lah" - they think they have a Rudy truck...... as far as my brothers PPE, he of course still owns, and makes periodic changes to this day. Cheers

Tman likes this.