Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Choice for new carb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jokester, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Jokester

Jokester

I'm in the market for a new four barrel carb. The engine is a .030 over 327 w/ flat top pistons, unknown slightly lumpy cam, cast iron exhaust manifolds w/ full 2" exhaust. Intake is an Offenhauser crossram with a single 4 barrel top. I ran this manifold back in the '70s on my '39 Chevy, but don't remember what carb I used. It ran real well up to 4500 rpm where it really took off.
    I'm thinking 600-650 cfm would be plenty, vacuum secondaries, and I prefer electric choke.

Oh, it's in a '34 Chevy coupe w/ 4 speed and Ford 9 inch with 3.00 to one gears. Street only, not a race car. No I'm not going to change the intake manifold.

What would you suggest; Edelbrock, Holley, Demon, whatever....?

thx.

.bjb

2. I’ve had great luck with Edelbrock. Got a 600 that’s been on several different engine and always runs good. I was going to say Holleys are only good for racing, then it occurred to me that my O/T Ford E-250 has a Holley on its 351 and it has always run good too. My first choice would be Edelbrock.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

trollst likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

had a blueprint '65 365 HP 327 - ran great with a dual plane Edelbrock manifold ran a Edelbrock 1406 (never had any Edelbrock carb problems) with a Transdapt Performance products 2431 swirl torque 1" aluminum spacer

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    olscrounger and trollst like this.
  4. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Same as truckdoctor Andy. Got the same setup on my 34 and it works great.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.

5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I would use an Edelebrock carb. Once it’s tuned leave and forget about it. Holleys need constant adjustments

dan griffin likes this.
  6. Jokester

Jokester

I've had 2 Edelbrocks, one on my V6 Vega and one on my 350/350 32 Chevy sedan. Both had the same issue. If I stood hard on the brakes, they would flood and kill the engine. Started up and ran fine after, but it was annoying.

Any input on Demons?????????

7. On the Edelbrock you must use a pressure regulator to keep the floats closing properly. Too much pressure will cause all kinds of problems. I'd suggest something like 4.5 to 5.0 psi at the carb.

Phil

olscrounger likes this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not spoke here much but the Summit carb made in the spirit of the old Autolite is pretty much bolt on and trouble free. They were once made by Holley but sold to Summit some how. There are 2 sizes and like a AFB no lower gaskets to leak. Guys with 300-350 cubic inches like them. I think they look better than a Edelbrock and at least I wouldn't need a piece of tape to cover it up.

JeffB2 likes this.
  9. -Brent-

-Brent-

Glad this popped up. I always hear mixed results about Edelbrock carbs. I'm at the point where I need to get a carb for my mostly stock 327 (mild cam and headers). I've been recommended ALL 3 Q-jet, Holley, and Edelbrock.... I'm confused. Haha.

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The Edelbrock Performer is basically a rebranded version of the Carter Competition 9600 series AFB,Edelbrock has released an upgraded version of the AVS which is a far better choice. https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/35...p4uX4HO9QMYVSnO3VakaAklVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds The Summit Carb does have some good features as well and the price is nice at about $100 less

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I really dislike blanket statements . If pressed , can you actually prove one carb brand needs more adjusting than any other carb brand ? Statements like yours are based on old wives tales , your buddies or your experience , but certainly not on any kind of quantifiable data, in other words , it's mostly BS. If you said " I think " or IMO , that's acceptable , otherwise , it's just hot air !!!

bobss396 and XXL__ like this.
  12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used edelbrock, 1406 on 6 or 7 327"s that are a little snotty-rejet and go--Mine on my 40 has been there 10 yrs no issues wife's 55 has an old Weber version of AFB going on 30 yrs-runs great. No more than 5 lbs pressure and an insulated spacer under the carb.
    Just did a 39 woody for a guy and it had one of those summit carbs on it --327, cam etc-it runs great as well.

13. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I was a professional auto repair tech for 40 years. That isn’t just my opinion, but the big majority of people in the repair business

dan griffin likes this.
  14. carbking

carbking

If there were one single perfect carburetor, everyone would be using it ;)

When determining what carburetor to use, one should first determine application. As a general rule, for street engines, exceptionally difficult to beat the spread-bore design. For circle track racing, square-bore is easier to tune. EDIT: if using dual quads, the square-bore is probably easier for most to tune.

In alphabetic order; Carter, Holley, and Rochester all made spread-bore carburetors.

And always use a manifold that matches the carburetor; either square-bore or spread-bore without a carb to manifold adapter.

Jon.

-Brent-, XXL__ and Deuces like this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

So, Holley wins then!????... :D
    Yes!... :cool:

16. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

On my convertible I have an Edelebrock carb use the stock fuel pump on the 455 and have no issues with too much fuel pressure.

Terrible80 likes this.
  17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I guess I'm the only one who noticed this, "Offenhauser Crossram with a single 4 barrel top"; now that's a visual!!! I believe you meant High-ram, or Tunnel-ram. As far as carburetors themselves go, they all have their issues and place; and our preferences are all similar to the Ford VS GM VS Mopar debate. JMO! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

lumpy 63 likes this.
  18. carbking

carbking

Oldsman - I like your signature, but (opinion) it does not apply to those with red hair! :(

Jon.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My bud is a 'ginger'...Levis all summer long, doesn't like a hat, but wears one in my O.T. BMW ragtop (top down)
    Ken says he's NOT a 'roadster guy'. My wife, on the other hand..."Lose the top, let's go cruisin'..."
    Holley 650 performed like a champ on my 350- powered F100. Pulled it off, set aside to rebuild it with my Holley 750. Wife suggested an Edelbrock for the 'time being'...so she bought a 1406, and we installed it.
    Starts with less than 1 crank revolution, choke is great. Maximum (wide open throttle) is short of the Holley, but mileage improved. (Comp Cam 284*, swirl port heads, Vortek turned carbureted.) Avg. 22 MPG, mostly town driving. Like the Edelbrock, acts like a Carter AFB. Miss my Holley, gotta get that back on there...

Deuces likes this.
  20. Deuces

Deuces

The offy intake he has is this one..... cross-ram-manifold.jpg cross-ram-manifold-lid-removed (1).jpg offenhauser-linkage-kit.jpg offenhauser-cast-in-boss.jpg
    Sorry, no pictures of the single carb top.... I'll have to dig deep for that one....

21. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Oh well my hair is grey

Deuces likes this.
  22. I'm with Carbking. I have been running Quadrajets and Holleys for almost 50 years, and like both brands equally.
    Once the problem of the internal leaking of the Quadrajets is solved, they are an excellent, trouble free carb, and often yield better mileage than the equivalent sized Holley. More problems with Quadrajets are caused by people who start screwing with them and don't know what they are doing. Then when there are problems, they blame the Quadrajet.
    I prefer the Holley for performance, simply because they are easier to work on when changes in jetting, are required. There are also more options for individual preferences, such as larger accelerator pumps, central squirters, springs for, or even mechanical secondaries. But for the street, I prefer using the stock Holley carb with the vacuum secondaries, just like Holley made them.
    I have used Carters, but that was back in the early 60s. I didn't have any problems with them either. I have not used the Edelbrock version of the Carter carb, so I can't offer an opinion.
    Bob

dan griffin likes this.
  23. Deuces

Deuces

Here's more... From Camaros.org crossram-offy-iso.jpg crossram-offy-singlefour.jpg crossram-offy-tops.jpg crossram-offy-bottoms.jpg

lumpy 63 likes this.
  24. Jokester

Jokester

Well Butch, it's an Offenhauser 5893 base with a 5901 single carb top. I also have the 5903 top for dual carbs.

The Offy catalog actually calls it a "low profile ram". Every one I ever saw was referred to as a cross ram.

This is why I'm seeking info on carb choices. I'm concerned about the large plenum volume.

.bjb

Deuces likes this.
  25. Jokester

Jokester

Deuces likes this.
  26. Deuces

Deuces

Mine's getting there.....:(:rolleyes:

27. Deuces

Deuces

;)

28. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Hard to beat a Quadrajet for a great street carb., in my opinion. I've never run a Edelbrock, but have run Holley's. I got tired of the Holley's constant weeping around the edges and the one's I messed with, didn't seem to provide very good fuel mileage. Love my Q-jets :)

dan griffin likes this.
  29. carbking

carbking

With that intake manifold and your engine / vehicle, I might suggest:

Single carb top: Carter TQ-9800s (electric choke) or a mid-1970's Q-Jet (electric choke)

Dual carb top: (2) Carter AFB 9400s.

Either would run exceptionally well. The single with the spread-bore would get points for fuel economy; the dual would get "eye-candy" points, and if properly tuned, would still be decent on fuel economy.

Jon.

30. I forgot about those! One of our guys at work installed one on a 350 in a customers car at work. It started up and ran well. I do like the annular boosters in these.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app