Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Holley National Hot Rod Reunion (2020)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty Knutts, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Rusty Knutts

Rusty Knutts

Heard a rumor last weekend that NHRA would be moving the Holley National Hot Rod Reunion from Beech Bend (Bowling Green) to Indy for 2020? Sure hope not. I know they tried moving it to Ohio 1 year without much success. Just wondered if any of you guys might have heard something similar? Hopefully it is just a rumor?

2. I hope it doesn't also even though it would cut an hour off my travel time.
    Beech Bend is a great track.

lothiandon1940, oldsjoe and racer-x like this.
  3. the-rodster

the-rodster

That would suck.

Rich

4. car doctor

car doctor

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Several of us up here in No. Indiana have really enjoyed a few reunions in Bowling Green, but would welcome a hot rod/drag event back at Indy, since GGs have been gone from the drag strip for many years. Beach Bend is a super location along with a very nice town and hotels, but Lucas Oil Raceway is also a pretty cool place, and much closer by over a couple hundred miles. :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I vote for Indy

7. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Beech Bend is the perfect venue to hold the Hot Rod Reunion. Indy is an hour and a half or so closer to me but you just can't beet BG. Onsite camping, not too expensive hotels near by, very good restaurant's close to the track, PLENTY of shade, what more can ya ask for! Joe

scotty t, enloe, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  8. Rusty Knutts

Rusty Knutts

Yeah Joe, I'm not driving to Indy to bake in the sun. That would kill it for a lot of us greybeards. Beech Bend made it the special event it is. You can't get that anywhere else! Hopefully NHRA will realize that.

enloe, oldsjoe and pprather like this.
  9. I really did enjoy attending the Hot Rod reunion the couple times I made the 7 plus hour drive from Chicago. As much as I would like to have another major nostalgia race within a 3 hour drive, I am not a fan of relocating established events to different venues. These kind of moves seem to have more of a negative affect then positive.

Church Key, oldsjoe and enloe like this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Thought about it and can't think of one thing Indy has over Beech Bend

11. I have attended many times driving from wi. Back a few years they ran back to back weekends with the fuel cars. They ran indy then bg. Bg while a much farther drive is a better track and town. Sitting on aluminum stands in the sun is no fun. Bgs covered stands are much better. Anyone remember the flooded swap meet area at indy way in the back along the fence? Indy isn't the worst place but it's no bg.

12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Amen!
    KK

enloe likes this.
  13. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

I have been to all of the bg events but one, plus 6 California reunions, if they take it from bg they can stick it in there ass.

scotty t and enloe like this.
  14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

they fucked up California, now there going to fuck up bg?

15. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

excuse my English!

scotty t, Sky Six and enloe like this.
  16. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Indy would be a disaster for this event. They moved the MoPar Nats there for three years from Columbus and it destroyed the event until it moved back to Columbus. Indy seems to be great for the U.S. Nationals but cannot run another large event to save their life. Keep it in BG. Better shade nicer area, about the same drive for me either way. A lot of rodders from the South and East coast will probably drop the event if moved to Indy too.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

my guess theres no rent to pay at indy. or very little. the event this year was good, but not the same. I have been to 15 of them. Bakersfield is slowly going down, from a great event. its sad.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep
    The music died for me when the suits at NHRA started mucking up the CHRR at Famoso.
    Made that chingo myself for 15 years from the Great Wet North.

19. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

yea denny I went to Bakersfield 6 or 7 times, it was great and now its really starting to suck each year.

20. primed34

primed34

Greg Sharp said the Bowling Green Reunion wasn't moving anywhere. He should know.

hotrodbob, car doctor and oldsjoe like this.
  21. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Hope it is true that Hot Rod Reunion is staying in Bowling Green. Joe

Sent from my SM-T580 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

car doctor likes this.
  22. I'll vote for Indy.
    Traffic in and out of Lucas Oil Raceway is a cake walk and the camping area is much larger. But the nostalgia of the Beech Bend track is second to none.

23. cornfield county

cornfield county
    from Indiana

Two hour drive to Indy. Six hours or so to Bowling Green. Been to all but two in BG. Will not be going to Indy if it moves there. The location is what makes it what it is.

oldsjoe, wraymen and Gman0046 like this.
  24. Gman0046

Gman0046

Sitting on aluminum bleachers an 1/8 of a mile from the track out in the sun somehow just doesn't appeal to me. At least Beech Bends covered seating is on top of the track without the sun baking your butt.

25. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

amen gman!!

oldsjoe likes this.
  26. David392

David392

The reason the reunion was moved to Ohio was because of issues with Bowling Green which were corrected and the reunion returned the next year.

27. It doesn't get more nostalgic than beechbend, yeah the traffic can suck getting out of there at the end of the day, but that's part of it. I'm not leaving this year, I'm camping beside of my car.

loudbang and hotrodbob like this.
  28. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Best place to see a nostalgic drag race event! Joe

loudbang likes this.
  29. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

when they moved it to national trail from bg i was there, there is no shade at national just like indy. hotter than hell. many people will stop coming if it goes to indy. glad to hear its staying at bg atleast for another year.

hotrodbob and loudbang like this.