Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Cad carb upgrade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T Scott, Jul 28, 2019.

1. T Scott

T Scott
    from Maine

I'm sure this has been addressed before but I couldn't find much other than hot rod related information. I'm looking to replace my old 37 LaSalle Carter carb with something more efficient. Fabbing up an adapter or addressing linkage changes are not a problem. Any thoughts?

2. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

Try a Rochester 2 Jet. They come in various sizes. Large enough to more that satisfy your Caddy's thirst.

3. carbking

carbking

The factory replacement carburetor was the Carter 460s from a 1940 LaSalle.

There are still more efficient carbs, but the 460s is calibrated specifically for the Cad/LaSalle engine.

Jon.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. carbking

carbking

Did the above post from memory, and the telephone was ringing.

With a little time for research, the 460s is the factory replacement, so would be perfectly legitimate for a show car, and it much better than the 1937 carburetor.

In my opinion, probably the best carburetor you could install would be the Carter 595s carb used on the 1949 Cadillac. Not positive about throttle hookups, but should be very close, and the calibration is for the Cadillac engine. Mounting pattern is the same, so no hokey adapter necessary.

The 460s is the same type as the original, a Carter WD-0.

The 595s is the later type WCD carburetor, which (opinion) is one of the finest 2-barrel carbs ever made. WCD carbs were still being used as factory equipment on some makes into the 1970's.

And not grinding my own ax, I am sold completely out of the 595s. Try Ebay.

Jon.

5. T Scott

T Scott
    from Maine

Thanks for your input.