Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Thanks for the info. I did not know that there had been more than one all syncro 3 speed available. After some quick research, I also found some mention of a Borg Warner H.D. 3 speed. Fortunately, there is plenty of time to figure out which trans to go with. The 56 is basically on the back burner while I'm finishing my 55 Chevy pickup......Which was on the back burner for over 10 years. LOL!

7-15-19 C.jpg

2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Part of the decision is that many of the parts that might be used, have a long family history. For example, one possible short block is a 265 that my brother Bob pulled out of a 56 Chevy. This was around 1969. The other short block, (283 TurboGlide block), came out of what is now my 57. This was in about 1973, when the car was owned by a good family friend. The Power Pack heads are off of a 57 that I owned in high school, (1981).

Yes, it was such a thrill watching brother Larry run his 59. The engine choice did not lessen it at all. However, he also faced a similar choice when building his Impala. He REALLY wanted to pick up where he left off in 1967, with his 1st 59 Impala. This would have meant a 283 bored to 301, fuelly heads, dual quads, and a Isky 550 Super LeGerra cam. Basically, all of these parts were located, including a NOS Isky cam and lifters. However, when street-ability was factored in, it was decided that the 406 would be the better choice.....Although, so far, his E.T.'s and MPH aren't as good as they were in 1967. Course, the current combo still has a lot of sorting out to do.

Glory Days A.jpg scan0003.jpg scan0010.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The GM application, 3 speed Borg Warner, was limited to Buick's, so it's pretty rare, and probably about as strong as a full synchro Saginaw. The HD Muncie is a beast by comparison! There's also the Ford made, GM application, full synchro 3 speed used in late 60/early 70's GM muscle cars. I'd forgot about that one; it would also be a good choice, besides the HD Muncie. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

4. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Butch,

The Pontiac A-body received the Ford Dearborn HD 3-speed in March 1st, 1965 (late ‘65 production). It stayed in the lineup for the remainder of the decade. I’m not sure when the big cars received it. I will look and see if I can determine that later. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Bowtie Coupe, Torkwrench and loudbang like this.
  5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Not sure what brand these are, we got these used.
    20190728_084022 (2).jpg

enloe, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  6. Shain

Shain
    from Omaha

Actually no.... no idea which ratio they were, to long ago, .....and we had different ratio 3 speeds, and the 4 speed.....maybe was ?? We had several 4 speeds too, (T-10's and Munci,s) in our every day street cars, tow cars too. Which combination we used then ? Don't know. Had a garage full of transmissions.
    Could have changed the rear end too maybe, had 3 different ratio third members set up to use. But I doubt it.
    Just don't recall the details....just that we tried it for the fun of it.

7. loudbang

loudbang

8. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

The HD Muncie 3 speed definitely sounds like the way to go. Now all I have to do is find one. :D

A quick search found this thread, which helps, too.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/heavy-duty-muncie-3-speed.1102370/

And here's a link to my "Want Ad". :D

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/late-1960s-muncie-3-speed-transmission.1159135/

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

10. loudbang

loudbang

11. loudbang

loudbang

12. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Going to the Tripower Nationals this weekend! I’ll give some live coverage and maybe have some similar shots! Randy

13. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Definitely keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. loudbang

loudbang

15. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Looks like Ed Wright in the far lane. Not sure about the wagon.

16. loudbang

loudbang

The wagon is a famous one been posted a lot but the name escapes me :confused:

1947knuck, enloe and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  17. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

I think you are correct Chuck !

18. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Wagon might be Bob Bayles from Indiana but Parham and Payne had blown 312 Y-blocks and they lived in Oklahoma, too. Just don't know if they had a wagon.

19. WerbyFord

WerbyFord

From back in the thread, the yellow 2dr wagon looks like John Frith.
    If you search this thread for "Frith" some posts show up.
    I thought the Parham & Payne car was a 4dr hardtop but maybe they had a wagon too.
    Bayles wagon was 2-tone green from the picture I have.

Those blown 312's ran DARN good, like near 400hp good. I am thinking they had the "Nascar" "340hp" cam and a little extra boost, does that sound right?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nhra-junior-stock.201085/page-229#post-5713985

20. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Looking at the earlier pictures, I'd say that the mystery of the yellow Ford wagon is solved. As far as the "boost" issue goes, assigning equitable horsepower to "power-added" motors has always been a problem for NHRA. I did not see it happen but I've heard stories about Farmer Dismuke riding through the pits in the front seat of Larry Walker's blown '57 Ford Stocker, holding a boost gauge in his hand, in an attempt to determine just how much boost was being applied. Much later, turbo-boosted Buicks and Pontiacs regularly qualified well during the 1990a and early 2000s. Further, anyone remember when Buddy Ingersoll's twin turbo-boosted Regal threatened the status quo in the Pro Stock ranks? It didn't take NHRA long to put an end to that nonsense! See: <http://competitionplus.com/drag-rac...ll-the-day-modern-technology-scared-pro-stock>

c

vetteguy402, loudbang and WerbyFord like this.
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I remember Buddy, and watched him run many time, even talked with him.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yes that is Eddie Wright and Parham and Payne had the wagon then sold it to Frith.
    Parham and Payne wagon.jpg

23. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

This picture came up on a facebook post. Looks like it was some time in the 80's.
    Fritch.jpg

1947knuck, enloe, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  24. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Always sad to see the remnants years later after it’s been stripped or wrecked or just abandoned.
    Randy

25. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

This makes me sad but it happens. A guy down the road from me bought an ex jr stock 57 Chevy bel air 2 dr hardtop out of the San Diego area. Nice guy and does nice work but no love for jr stockers. Car is now a high end street rod with late model 350 and 700r4 trans. Luckily I ended up with the stahl headers, fender wells, posi rear end, traction bars and stick set up. Basically anything I could get off it. I wish I could have seen the car before it got taken apart.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tom 57 150, enloe, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

It's Frith back in this thread the exact same photo in post 6858 Oct 3 2010.

One of the Yellow wagons was sold then found again and rebuilt by the original owner's son I believe not long ago I thought it was this one. I had a nice post on both the old and new version but it doesn't come up under a firth search so maybe it's another wagon.

27. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

A few pics from the Nostalgia Super Stock group at the Tripower Nats today at Norwalk.
    And I didn’t take pics of just Pontiacs!! Regards, Randy
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  28. 1934coupe

1934coupe

These are the cars I grew up with, when you could order one from the dealer and go race on Sunday, after 6am mass of course. I was driving in them and watching them race every weekend. At the time there were no rod runs and the only car shows where at the arena's and colosseums. I really appreciate you posting these pictures "Unique"

Pat

29. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

KickinAsphalt and loudbang like this.
  30. Terry Bell

Terry Bell

They are VERY EARLY designs. How have you been doing Skip since I saw you at the York, Pa. Show years ago?

KickinAsphalt and loudbang like this.