Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Merc crank swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Boden

Boden

So I have a 53 ford block and all the parts to it. I bought a Merc crank from a 49 Merc. What parts from the Merc motor do I need to b able to run the Merc crank in my ford block. Ps the Merc block is cracked badly and has one of the cylinders blown into the water jackets.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. cbillelder

cbillelder

All you will need is a set of Merc pistons. The wrist pin hole is located higher in them to compensate for the longer stroke.

Woogeroo likes this.
  3. Boden

Boden

Ok. So the rods are the same on ford and Mercury’s. And also. I was wondering if you use ford pistons with a Merc crank will u boost the compression?

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The Ford piston would protrude above block deck about .125"if used with a
    4" stroke Merc crank.

Woogeroo and RICH B like this.

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I believe you need Merc rods too

6. Boden

Boden

You do need Merc rods? The old Merc rods I had are completely shot

7. Are the flywheels the same between Ford and Mercury? I'm asking, because that issue came up here. Bolt pattern?

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm, almost 100% certain the Ford and Merc rods are the same. The OEM Merc flywheel was drilled for a Borg& Beck clutch and a Long for the Ford has a different bolt pattern, but again, almost 100% sure the bolt pattern on the rear crank flange is the same for both.
    Been over 50 years since I was inside a flathead, so it might be a good idea to check further,. maybe on the Ford Barn.

Hnstray and AVater like this.
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I put a '51 Merc engine in my '51 Ford and used the Ford flywheel (which had just been resurfaced) and it fit perfectly. Ford and Merc rods are the same. I have read that someone on the west coast sells new French rods for $125, which is in the neighborhood of the cost of having the old ones rebuilt. Sounds like the way to go.

dirty old man likes this.
  10. Boden

Boden

I’m on a very tight budget. I’m only 13 and I work at a machine shop I bring home 200 a week and get to machine my stuf for free. I’m just going to sandblast the rods I have and match the weights.

11. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

My apologies folks. Had a case of CRS.

Knew pistons and cranks were different so incorrectly thought the rods were different.

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same rods. Shot peen, use ARP nuts, re-size if necessary and reuse. I used a merc crank, 8BA rods and merc pistons (must use merc pistons) on my 49 8BA. Use that merc timing cover (aluminum) and give it a littlie polish (it will look sweet). And use the merc oil pan with the windage tray in it if it is (5 two letter words in a row, double word score) still on the motor.

6sally6 likes this.
  13. Boden

Boden

No problem. Thansk for clarifying

AVater and Texas Webb like this.
  14. And a big hand to you for starting on this journey,kudos.

Boden and harpo1313 like this.
  15. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

I can't recall if the compression is boosted by adding the merc crank to a standard 53 block and heads but if does it won't be much. You pick up 10 HP by going to the 4" crank but that is from increasing the stroke rather than compression.

16. Good for you, great to see, show us some pics of your project

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

17. Boden

Boden

Thank you. I love this stuff with all my heart.

18. Boden

Boden

I acquired a set of Edelbrock heads from my uncle

19. Boden

Boden

Ok. For sure

20. Boden

Boden

I have some pics of the project for ya [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

leon bee, harpo1313 and s55mercury66 like this.
  21. Rockysfirstshubox1.jpg Bowden......A more perfect project couldn't be had as far as a traditional ford project. I did exactly the same thing at 16 with my first car...a 50 ford crestliner 2 door with a cracked block. I bought a 53 merc motor for it and after spending $36 for rings, bearings and gaskets, my dad and I ground the valves, honed the cylinder bores, set valve lash bolted on headers and a Rochester 4 barrel carb and put it in the old ford. It ran soooooooo sweet!

leon bee likes this.
  22. Boden

Boden

WOW! That’s awesome to hear. I have been hearing that this motor is weak and it will be horrible but you post boosted my motivation. And it seems liek I’m going a little crazier than you did so mine might be even faster. Lol.

Thansk a lot,
    Boden

23. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Boden : That Crank in the pictures from Thursday needs to at LEAST be polished, but from seeing the connecting rod bolt scars in it, I'd say "GET IT TURNED"! And when you put everything back together, put some pieces of gasoline hose over your rod bolts BEFORE you put the piston/rod assemblies back into the block!

24. leon bee

leon bee

Boden: You got a lot to do there, but that engine won't be "weak". It'll be a Ford flathead.

Boden likes this.
  25. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Did you have the Ford block checked for cracks ? The last flathead I built took 4 blocks before I found a good one.

26. Boden

Boden

Yea. I’m getting it cut

27. Boden

Boden

Haha. Ya. And working at the machine shop really helps out.

28. Boden

Boden

So this motor is being bored out .040 over. Is getting a SU1A can grind, hollow Johnson lifters, my uncle gave me a set of sharp heads, that Merc crank. And A little port work. All new bearings. All I need to get left is a intake, headers, and carbs. I have one 94 and I want another one or 2 more depending on the intake

29. Boden

Boden

And if anyone has a intake (2 or 3 deuce) or a set of headers. Please let me know if you are willing to sell it. It is one of the last thing I need

30. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

BTTT I know it's another expense, but balancing the crank, rod & piston assemblies, front hub, flywheel & clutch assemblies, all as a unit. It makes them live a lot longer!!