Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Motto's or nicknames on your states license plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Illinois is "The Land of Lincoln". However, "The Land of Corruption" would be more accurate. :rolleyes:

2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-7-25_4-28-26.png
    Hello,
    We have gone through many color changes over the years, but in keeping with the slogans in the rest of the states, we all know who runs California. Despite the political parties, the "newish" plates have a designation that looks like it came from a prison workplace…oh, it did. They let everyone know who runs the food chain: dmv.ca.gov

"FOLSOM, Calif.
    Just over 120 employees make up the inmate workforce at the California Prison Industry Authority's license plate factory -- the only place license plates are made in the state.”

Recently, as if we did not need the overcrowding, the DMV has added another backlog scenario coming up in the months ahead. Hopefully, the AAA will be able to absorb some of the overflow with ease, to make things easier for all of us.

[​IMG]
    California license plates are also, “Back in Black” from the 60s and they look good on black cars. Black plates with yellow lettering makes a hot rod stand out.
    upload_2019-7-25_4-29-40.png
    But, to CYBs, there are personalized plates with the slogan “The Golden State.” (meaning the reference to the gold rush days, the wealthy, or the golden statues given out every year to satisfy the infatuated, star crazed groupies )

Jnaki

upload_2019-7-25_4-30-17.png
    No, that is not our family’s personalized plate, although my wife thinks it is hers… ha!

3. Some people I know just call the place wet.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Pelican huh?, interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. John Starr

John Starr

Ha! I grew up in Florida, moved to Calif. I used to say Florida should change their claim: it’s not the sunshine state, it’s the rain state. At least it was when I lived there. :cool:

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Yep.It sure seemed like it sometimes.Lived there from 1945 to 1985.Family has lived there since 1916.We all have seen some really bad hurricanes.There were a lot of fun times too.
    But when the rains came,it sure got wet in a hurry.Born and raised in Vero Beach.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Louisiana is the state with the Pelicans on their tags. Texas has the best names for everything. When I lived in north Houston there was a town near by called Cut And Shoot.

Gary

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Drove through there one time. When I seen the name of the town, I figured it might not be the kind of place you'd want to make anybody mad, so I just kept on going.....

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:p

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. 2 nailbender

2 nailbender
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from iowa

I live in Iowa so my Missouri friends like Idiots Out Wandering Around

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. CME1

CME1

In 1947, Idaho had the slogan, Vacation Wonderland. The plates had snow covered mountains in the back ground with a skier in the fore ground. Really a neat plate. I have a few of them , but I can't Copy them to this site.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. My son lives in Freeport TX, there are two streets there, one is named This Way and the other That Way.

HOTRODPRIMER and mbailey99gt like this.
  14. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Proud Montana... mail.jpg

15. Terrible80

Terrible80

Now, in addition New Mexico has: Chile Capitol of the World.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Since we have ventured into shapes, here's one from the Great White North:

[​IMG]

17. krabba73

krabba73

Virginia never had a slogan on STANDARD ISSUE plates until the “Virginia is For Lovers” base plate in 2014. They used two slogans in the early 2000s to commemorate the 400th anniversary of the landing at Jamestown in 1607, but returned to an un-sloganed base after a few years.

18. Nebraska....The beef state and my beautiful Oregon...........Pacific Wonderland. Both accurate descriptions of these two states.

19. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Green Mtn. State w/ maple tree BNGR.jpg DSC_0055.JPG These came about from the recovery efforts following tropical storm Irene in Sept., 2011

20. 6sally6

6sally6

I don't know about THAT!!!!!!!!...
    Alabama has a town called Sylacauga......... which means buzzard shit!!! (look it up)
    Gotta love Alabama. Without Alabama there would be NO jokes told in Georgia!
    6sally6

21. squirrel

squirrel

Arizona has bragged about being the Grand Canyon State on plates since 1940. And in the years that front plates were not used, this aftermarket one was pretty common.

grand canyon.jpg

Torkwrench and Deuces like this.
  22. cfmvw

cfmvw

We've had Vacationland on Maine plates for years, although there have been some that were altered to say Taxationland. I also saw a NH plate some years ago where Live Free Or Die was altered to say #@!! Off And Die! Must have been owned by someone with anger management issues.

23. Callmaker

Callmaker

Well we are finally getting rid of the ugly ass green tags and getting something that will look better on hot rods...
    1641850786153.png

24. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

My first build had this personalized tag, SHO OLD

26. Fordors

Fordors

I have a story about the slogan Illinois has used on their plates for decades. Years ago when plates were issued yearly Land of Lincoln was alternately put on the top or bottom of the plate. There was a guy in my neighborhood that was a Deuce, ‘49 Merc guy and also a hardcore biker type. Chris got busted on Chicago’s Lake Shore Drive when one of Chicago’s finest noticed his plates had been repainted the correct colors but the slogan was on the bottom instead of the top.
    He should have used plates two years old :D

Torkwrench likes this.
  27. Mark, The Carolina Wren narrowly beat out the Palmetto bug as the state bird, they are almost the same size especially when in flight. :D HRP

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022