Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Colemire, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Just curious, I seen a early chevy truck that was painted satin black and had a purple top with purple flames in different shades. It looked pretty good but I was wondering how they cleared it and with what. Wouldn't you have to use that flat clear, or whatever you call it, over the satin? If you used that over that bright purple it would dull the color I would think. I done flames on one of my dragsters and had 7 different colors in them with the help of a friend. After each color we'd clear it, wait and then sand and then do another color, but they were all bright colors. Just got me thinking how they done it and make everything nice and smooth.

2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

When we did stuff like that, we'd paint all of the flames, stripes etc then scuff over it and clear over all of it at one time.

If after satin or flat look, just added flattener to clear to get desired gloss or lack of.

3. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I'm guessing that they didn't clear at all.
    Pete

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

They probably left the satin area masked while they painted and clear coated the flames.

5. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I'd say you are right BamaMav. I'm not big on purple but it looked pretty nice.

6. bergheger3

bergheger3

When I did something similar a while back. I sprayed the flames first clear and all, then back masked the flames and sprayed the flat black.