Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prefect / Willys /Kadett Gasser Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

True. I am not concerned about the perfect finish - just that it at least be slick and smooth. I can promise you there are many flaws. I have one spot just over my head on drivers side that really bugs me. I am going to let it cure some- I have always been afraid to do anything on new paint without giving it several days.And I am going do that here. I guess the good thing is I am at a point to where I can take time and do it a section at a time or as needed. Day job kicks back into gear Aug 1st so I am going to be weekend /every now and then as I can for a while.
    30 years ago I would have been happy that it was all one color- let alone be within half a shade of the ramp truck. I have even lettered a car with soap stone on primer because a guy helped us out and I felt I owed him - he was always super good to us.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  2. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I think it looks damn good. Going to be one sharp ride. It's amazing how much stuff you have to learn when you build hot rods. It's either that or hire somebody and I always had more time than money!

Atwater Mike and loudbang like this.
  3. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Blood and sweat are cheap. I am going to let it set at least until Monday.I have talked to several in my area that have done it at home -the key is apparently low pressure to no pressure ( let the buffer do the work) and don't set on the edges and don't get in a hurry. I am really looking at the harbor freight D O buffer and the different foam pad set .Get some 1500-2500 strips for my finger board clean water sponge and get after it.
    I have several different size and strength grinders from everything from craftsman to a huge Skill unit that probobly weighs 20 lbs - but they are out because there is no variable speed .

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  4. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

The cap, fenders ,and dash are all pretty slick after curing. Gonna give it until this weekend and then wash and buff. Got one run on the clear coat and I am going to use my run razor /1000/1500 and the buff.
    I took metallic silver that matches the powder coating on the axle/etc and cut the inset on the firewall. Turned out really well I think. Gotta do the same on the underside of the cap.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    tomkelly88, loudbang and enloe like this.
  5. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Race Car or Show Car... I can't tell the difference. Looks GREAT! I'm jealous, I hope my car turns out half as nice as yours!
    Jedd

loudbang and enloe like this.
  6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Jedd thanks for the compliments. Day job will start getting in the way in a few. The plan was to get this ( paint Willy’s) and the rest of the interior of the Prefect done. ( finish up some aluminum panels and paint the cage /sides and other stuff that didn’t get panels). That would leave engines/trans and wiring on Willy’s and the paint and the same on Prefect.
    Still so very thankful to be at this stage of the game.

427 sleeper, loudbang and enloe like this.
  7. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Wet sanded the run out of the clear on left rear fender. Turned out well a light buff and no one will ever know.
    There is one more that actually continued all the way to the bottom of the lip below the base of the front cap. Then apparently dropped of perfectly. . Sometimes it’s good to be lucky. Mick had another take on it. He said that if they can see that one wake Leroy up Because we are roll cage testing. Gotta admit. He’s right.

Attached Files:

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow... all your hard work is beginning to pay off.
    I think of all the steps to a nice paint job as "hard art". Labor-intensive. It'll have you standing in your sleep LOL. It takes so much patience and dedication. But you also have to have an artist's eye.
    Excellent job, Mitchell!

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

427 sleeper and loudbang like this.
  10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Yep and it is still way way off from perfect or what you would call a 100 pointer. Got one last spot I’d really like to address before it goes back together. Hoping to get to it within a few days. Studying up on how to approach it.
    Seemed so much easier 25-30 years ago when I didn’t know any better.

427 sleeper, enloe and loudbang like this.
  11. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha! EVERYTHING was easier 25-30 years ago!

Maicobreako and loudbang like this.
  12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Buffing has begun. Rear fenders turned out pretty nice. The spot over the drivers head on top only took one cut to make it workable. I had to use the red pad and the medium compound. I may drop back and take another cut before going to the blue. No pressure letting the buffer and gravity do the work. Takes longer but that’s ok.

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At this stage of the game, patients is your friend.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Patients?
    He doesn't need any patients to take care of! He's got enough to do! Are you trying to kill the man?
    Oh... patience.

Sorry... late night silliness.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Atwater Mike, Stogy, enloe and 2 others like this.
  16. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha!!! Sorry, NEVER been Genius at ANYTHING... 'Specially Spelling!!! LOL... You Rock, Rickybop!
    LOL, Have one on the HOUSE!

loudbang and Rickybop like this.
  17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

That Mick sitting there enjoying the view? :rolleyes:

1947knuck, Stogy and enloe like this.
  19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Genius?
    Seriously, we know spelling don't count for much here.
    If you can build a beautiful badass car like that...
    You're freaking Einstein as far as I'm concerned.
    LOL

Everybody have a good day!

427 sleeper and loudbang like this.
  20. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks for the compliments guys. And yep. That’s only the top on the driver side and the rear fenders. That took from 1:00 till 6:00. I let the machine do the work. I am afraid of using a lot of pressure. So in a way you guys are right. Hurry up and wait. Lol
    Loudbang. Mick was on the other side . That’s Bill on that side. He was taking a brake from working on the Opel. His floor pan and fire wall will show there are many craftsman in the building. He’s a worse perfectionist than me. Mick was Big Boss. If I am painting or buffing he’s half color blind. He picks up things I can’t see. He can pick up things I didn’t see when close but will be seen at a distance.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  21. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Finished the top, sail area, and the windshield post /cowl. A few nibs got removed and a couple got buffed off. Leaves the trunk , doors, quarters and front cap.
    Bill Got one floor plate in and the pattern made for the other. Should be wicked.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Stogy, loudbang and enloe like this.
  22. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Buffed both doors and one rear quarter. I’ll be honest. I am gaining a great appreciation for top notch paint /prep and work. Yep it’s just like cage work and interior work. You get out of it what you put in to it. I am afraid to push the boundary on buffing. I could probobly do another cut on a couple of places but I am afraid of messing it up.
    No pics this week end was in a hurry when I left.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  23. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Finished the sails, trunk rear quarters. Started the cap. Took a light cut on the nose. Needs one more and then I’ll be ready to go back to a spot over the drivers head that still bugs me. I think I can get all of that hazzy spot out now.

Attached Files:

tomkelly88, 32SEDAN, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Looks good :) Now all you have to do is the same thing to the prefect in the background :rolleyes:

25. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Is true - but I am getting to where I know how much pressure/how fast I can go and so on. I am at least getting to where I am not afraid of screwing it up. Day job keeps cutting in on the important stuff. I've been studying the PIED PIPER car- I do like that color arrangement - The gold sets it off very well.I also have the interior panels and painting the interior/cage etc to finish on the prefect. But gotta finish this first -

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  26. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

And finally I am through with the cut and buffing. Got one or two more spots to clean up but I will start using the black fine pad and the griots polish and that’s it. It’s as good as it’s gonna be I think. Finally paint the underside of the cap like the fire wall.

Attached Files:

27. loudbang

loudbang

Looks pretty spiffy. :)

28. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks Loudbang. I am learning as I go. This has been a bought lesson in some ways. But it’s kinda like the Wizard Of Oz. Just never know what’s happening next. Gotta love it.

loudbang likes this.
  29. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

It’s finished. Other than a good soap and water bath. Did the touch up and used the blue pads /mild today.Also buffed the dash. Removed the masking and will start reassembling.
    We have also decided to ditch every Allen head bolt that we can unless clearance dictates it. Reason is simple. I want it to be serviceable with out having to drag around our big rolling boxes where ever we are.

Attached Files:

30. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok. Made a lot of progress today. Back fenders back on for good. Tail lights /cut off switch /charging bungs/trunk handle. Bumper will go back on when it’s powder coated.

Attached Files: