Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Who Drives With Their Headlights On During The Daytime?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ct1932ford, Jul 26, 2019.

1. With most everyone driving distracted today, I always put my lights on while driving my hot rods in the daytime. I have seen so many people crossing the centerline or almost driving off the road while on the phone, texting, eating, drinking, making love,:oops: reading or sleeping. I figure every little bit helps get their attention. Again, I always put mine on, but have noticed not many other people driving hot rods or customs around here do. Do You?

2. Deuces

Deuces

Ummm.... Mine are automatic....:)

ct1932ford likes this.
  3. partssaloon

partssaloon

We have two lane desert roads with a lot of big RV's pulling boats. People get impatient and pull some pretty stupid passes and a double yellow line doesn't seem to make any difference to them. I run my headlights on all these roads.

4. Slopok

Slopok

It became mandatory for motorcycles several years ago so that they could be seen better, probably would help for Hot Rods as well.

5. 2935ford

2935ford

Mandatory here in NB now.

ct1932ford, Deuces and Cosmo49 like this.
  6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

It's been so long since I've driven it past dark I don't even know if they work anymore.

49ratfink, Tman, j-jock and 3 others like this.
  7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I do, everything I got that's road legal.

8. No, but you got me thinking about it, the only problem I can think of is if I forget they are on when I get out of the car. o_O HRP

9. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Here in Florida the motto is "Sit low and drive Slow" and you usually see two little grey haired people.
    I always see the signs that say "Watch out for motorcycles they are everywhere"
    Here in Florida people driving cars don't even see cars let along motorcycles.

Many of the guy's I know no longer ride their Harley's because it is just to dangerous.
    Jimbo

10. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

[QUOTE=Here in Florida the motto is "Sit low and drive Slow" and you usually see two little grey haired people.

I have always called them “Q Tips” Hands at 11&1, white hair, and a top speed of about 27mph.

nochop, catdad49 and Deuces like this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Nope, only time I use lights is in the rain or at night. I can see where they might help being seen if the road is somewhat shady or the day is overcast, but on bright sunny days I see no need for them. If they can't see something as big as a car, what makes you think they will notice two dim spots of light?

12. X-cpe

X-cpe

When I had mine on the road I always did because it was flat black and when you are the color of pavement you need every advantage you can get.

nunattax, ct1932ford and Deuces like this.
  13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I always ride lights on , while riding my bike . Cars no so much .

Deuces likes this.
  14. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd not thought about it but............I think it's a good idea, maybe one I will adopt.

ct1932ford and Deuces like this.
  15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Run your power lead for the lights through the ignition switch . Ignition ON lights on. Ignition OFF lights off. Have been giving this some thought myself lately. My 2014 F150 are on automatic all the time. My commute puts me on the road about 4 to 600 miles a week and I am amazed how much more I notice cars with their lights on during the day than those that are off. 20 years ago I would have thought you where crazy. Larry

Tman, ct1932ford and Deuces like this.
  16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Seen a study Twenty years ago. The percentages of head on collisions dropped with car using their headlights at all times.
    I’ve been running headlights on the everyday cars ever since.
    But I’m too cool to run headlights on the Hotrod’s.
    ☹️

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I usually do. My OT vehicles have those low mounted ‘fog’ lights (white color) that I run as recognition lights. The older vehicles don’t have them and headlights are the only real choice unless something else is added.

I think the added visibility of our vehicles is substantial. I find it especially annoying that so many people have NO lights showing in low natural light conditions. Some vehicles are very difficult to see depending on their color and the pavement coloration. Of course the drivers of those cars can see out better than he can be seen, but apparently doesn’t know, or care.

Ray

ct1932ford, Deuces and Stu D Baker like this.
  18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Are you too cool to end up dead? Small sized but bright lights could be mounted in a discreet location and up the visibility substantially.........

I think that is going to be my option of choice.

Ray

Petejoe, ct1932ford and Deuces like this.
  19. Yes I do, and have done for years, on my daily drivers and Hot Rods.

AHotRod and Deuces like this.
  20. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I run mine on the 37 while on the highway. Anyone remember the single aftermarket white lamp mounted on the grille, back in the late 50's / early 60's?

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yep! DRL’s........Daytime Running Lights...........

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Blue One, ct1932ford and Deuces like this.
  22. My light switch is run off my ignition switch. I still only think of turning them on, maybe half of the time. I do flip them on and off when I see radar, or a disabled car along the road etc. But it's proabaly a good idea to run them all the time these days!;) 20171125_165125.jpg .

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    ct1932ford, deathrowdave and jnaki like this.
  23. Georgia law requires lights at all times on motorcycles and school buses. Lights in the daytime don't help you see but help others see you.

24. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

My grandson and I had this very conversation this evening about 7 going to town. At eight years old he had it figured out.

The37Kid, ct1932ford and Deuces like this.
  25. chrisp

chrisp

Yes for many years now old cars or newer cars. It's easy to forget them on old cars without a buzzer.

ct1932ford, town sedan and Deuces like this.
  26. phelan9251

phelan9251

Sounds like a good idea, what can it hurt?

ct1932ford likes this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

I turn on my fog lamps on overcast days.... Plus it looks cool..... :cool:

ct1932ford likes this.
  28. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Anything to make you more visible is a positive to lowering crashes. I wish I was smart enough to design a cell phone jamming unit to install on vehicles . Texting and driving kills way more than speed does .

29. Nope, only at night or in the rain or fog.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    flatheadpete and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  30. With these new-fangled cars that turn the lights on whenever you turn on the ignition, can you turn them "off" if the car is running and don't want lights?
    Around here it is hard enough to get people to turn their lights on at night, let alone during the day!

nunattax and Deuces like this.