Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford 9inch in Tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Christian Price, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Christian Price

Christian Price

Can I put a Ford 9inch instead of the 5 lug maverick in my 51 tudor with the flatty

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Sure, but the narrow 9 inchers are hard to find these days. Personally, I'd look seriously at the Ford 8.8 rears out of a Mustang or Explorer/Ranger; cheap, common, decent ratio availability, posi is common, more efficient, and nearly as strong.

A 9" would be major overkill behind the flathead. To tell the truth, the stock rear is more than adequate for the flathead, I wouldn't change it unless/until you do a major engine upgrade.

3340 and Christian Price like this.
  3. Sure you can but you may have to shorten the width, The Maverick rear axle measures around 52-53 inches, as for the stock rear axle I don't have a clue but I'm sure someone will chime in with that measurement.

BTW, the 8" Maverick is more than you will ever need with a flathead, I have one under my 50 Coupe with a 351 Cleveland and it handles all the power I dish out. HRP HRP

Christian Price likes this.
  4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

9 inch in stock 40 is a waste of time and money. Adds lots of weight and just looks too big under the car.

5. 3quarter32

3quarter32

69/77 Maverick 56.5"

deathrowdave and Christian Price like this.
  6. Ford wouldn't use the 8" behind anything bigger than a 302 (until the late '80 when smog regs reduced power a bunch, some 351W cars got them) because of it's torque limits. What fails is the pinion bearings. Driven sanely, they can hold up but if you have a heavy right foot they will go bad....

7. Christian Price

Christian Price

I’m just looking for better brakes and poi’s no big motor going in and something that parts are easier to find just in case

8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

The brakes are interchangeable between Ford 8” rears and the 28 spline small bearing 9” Ford.

deathrowdave and Christian Price like this.
  9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've hammered the 8" with 400 hp and only hurt spider gears on an open differential in a 3200 lbs Fairlane. Better brakes are no problem, I think I have a set of 3.8 with a Detroit locker somewhere.

10. Christian Price

Christian Price

Thank you

11. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I sure wouldn't claim to hammer on my 40 with a Maverick rear but I don’t baby it. Held up for around 35,000 miles behind the 330hp small block. Had the same in a previous sedan with never a problem.

12. The narrowest 9 inch ford rear I found was under a 69 ford Fairlane that had a 351 W engine. Its one inch narrower drum to drum than the stock 55 chevy rear end is. I used to shorten housings and axles myself. However I sold my lathe. I suppose I ought to find another one.

13. Stay with the early 8"......funny most 67-69 Cougars got 9' incher's.....and then there's the Bronco's for the narrowest..

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Ranger 7.5” and 8.8” rear axles from late ‘80s through ‘92 are 56.6” WMS (wheel mounting surface) to WMS. That is the same as Maverick 8” and the original shoebox Ford axle.

Quoting the axle housing width is the least useful information for rear end selection unless you are looking for only a housing. WMS to WMS wisth is more accurate and useful.

Rangers from ‘93 up (7.5” & 8.8”) are 58.5” wide WMS to WMS. I am currently installing one of these 8.8”s in my current build ‘37 Chevy Coupe. Explorer rear axles are 59.5/59.75”. All have the 5 x 4.5” bolt pattern.

Ray

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

8.8" disc brakes can be adapted to 8" rears pretty easily. I used to know the specs, but it was mostly factory parts.

deathrowdave likes this.
  16. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Bronco under my 32 looks like Henry but it in there . 57 -59 is narrow some say narrowest 9 in I’m not sure . But it’s gettin tough to find one . Contrary to belief I had 65 Mustang and 64 Comet , both 4 speeds , 289 4 barrel one a HiPo , as a teenager I really don’t think they could have been bashed on any harder , never one issue . Your tires will break traction well before you bust your rear . My question is why do want a LSD ? Everyday driving it’s a waste of money , and time to locate . Racing I understand , but other things will break racing a street driven flat motor soon , before the rear lets go . All my opinion , dont bash me just trying to maybe save some funds and spend it on driving and enjoying your car.

Hnstray likes this.
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've sold several builders 9 inch rears for their shoe box cars with good results. I had one housing fail but the guy was pulling an 18 ft travel trailer. Johns replaced it with one of their mid duty rears and no problems since. I've noticed the popular rear for 40 era cars seems to be an 8 inch. I'm with 19Fordy the 9 inch is a little big under those cars. I just am doing my 40 with CE rear springs, 2 inch blocks, Maverick 8 inch rear and if I had used a 9 inch it would be hitting the floor going over a rough bump.

Christian Price likes this.