Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ENGINE REBUILD KIT 230 DODGE FLAT 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sactownog, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

Where is the best place to buy an engine rebuild kit for the 1953 Dodge 230 flathead 6? any recommendations?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hagens in Puyallup WA specializes in vintage rig parts https://hagensautoparts.com/dodge/21-engine/20419
    That said a 53 230 shouldn't be that hard to find parts for locally or though Other online vendors such as Rock Auto. Those 230's were in cars and trucks up to 1959 or so so they aren't that "rare" parts wise.
    I'd check Napa online too as Napa still lists a lot of stuff for older more popular engines.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I don't know if anyone makes a kit as such. But Vintage Power Wagons has some good buys on parts, $75 for a set of 6 NOS pistons, how good do you want it? Your local auto parts store can get practically anything you need. But it has to be a real parts store with someone who knows his business.
    Andy Bernbaum is another well known source of parts for vintage Chrysler products, can be a bit pricy but may have rare stuff you can't get elsewhere.

4. squirrel

squirrel

If you are getting machine work done on the engine, you might want to talk with the machine shop...looks like the parts are available, so they should be able to get what you need. The bonus of doing it that was is that they will be responsible for making sure the parts are the correct ones (ie bearing undersize, piston oversize, etc).

They will also be able to figure out exactly which parts you need to replace, and show you why. If they're a good shop, that is.

scrap metal 48, Truck64 and Old wolf like this.

5. KenC

KenC

I'm gathering parts for my 230. Kits are available but one can save some coin by buying piecemeal, get the best price on bearings, rings, gaskets etc. Just be sure you don't get bit by shipping. Ebay and Rockauto are sources. I found a set of NOS Dodge OEM .040 rings on the bay for 1/2 the price 'normal'. Similar results with a set of .010 mains. Rock seems to have the best gasket set prices. Be sure to source a rubber rear main seal. They are often not in kits.

I can make this work 'cause I'm really overhauling an old rebuild that still has good machined surfaces, .010 rods and mains, .040 cylinders. Look on eBay if you know your sizes, there are a few vendors packaging a full rebuild kit, pistons, bearings etc.

Old wolf likes this.
  6. Machine Shops are like lawyers. Good competent ones that are honest and not out to robb you are few and far between. Around here they want $450 to rebore a V8 chevy 350.

Sactownog likes this.
  7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Lots of piston/rings on that auction site we all know and love. There's a rebuild "kit" also, but it's like just under $800.00, and that seems high to me. Maybe you can "build" your own kit by reseaching various parts on that online site? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

the front and rear main seal's are what leak on my engine right now, otherwise the engine is seemingly fine. however since the rear end and transmission have been rebuilt, I would like to rebuild the engine so the full drive train is fresh.

the rear main seal I am thinking of getting from www.oldmoparts.com the kit (gaskets) I am mainly looking for. I am thinking of getting with George Asche to get me a reground ballanced cam. he also told me to deck the head and bore the piston's about .40-.60 over. I should be able to use the same rod's and balance the crank.

Rock auto
    Oldmoparts
    Ebay
    vintage power wagon's

ok. thanks guys.

9. Don't spend a lot of money. pull the oil pan replace the rod and main bearings and front and rear seals. and that will in all probably make it quit leaking and be reliable. And retro fit a PCV. it reduces back pressure and keeps the engine cleaner inside.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

You need to see how big the bores are, and how much they need to be rebored to clean up the wear, and what size the crankshaft is, before you get too excited about ordering a "kit".

If you want to do it all right, you'll need to get the rods resized, probably new bushings in the small end. There usually is no need to balance a straight 6 unless parts have been swapped--they are a naturally balanced engine, so as long as all the pistons weigh the same, etc then the original balance job on the crank should be fine. but if you want to spend the money to be sure, go ahead and get all the reciprocating parts and crankshaft balanced.

You understand that this all will require a couple months and several thousand dollars. And a good working relationship with a good local machine shop.

11. I happen to own some pilot house dodges with the 230 six engines. We had a 46 truck with one in it back in the 60,s. my son has a 1944 dodge WC army jeep with a 230 engine. I cant think of any possible circumstance where any 230 flathead six is worth spending several thousand dollars on it. Like you done with your Hudson I would just fix what was wrong and be happy with it.

12. squirrel

squirrel

Some guys only have one car to lavish money on....not a yard full. It's different.

13. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

I originally wanted to spend thousands on the engine, stroke it, etc. but after much thought, I would rather get this car back together with the engine running well and not leaking, then start on a new project. so ya, I just want to freshen up the engine, clutch, and put it back together.

14. squirrel

squirrel

If you just want to freshen it up, then you really need to make an accurate evaluation of what condition it's in now. You can do part of that while it's running, and more if you take it all apart. But beware that if you are one of those guys that has to fix everything that can be fixed, it's a deep hole you'll get into when you take it apart and look closely.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought Egge and Kanter had kits...but I'm not in the market for one.

16. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, the both sell parts like that. I would probably go elsewhere, myself.

Old wolf likes this.
  17. If you want a New engine. There are Nos engines available. There are guys that still have government Surplus crate engines left over from WWII. get on those WWII reenactor forums theres a lot of info on those dodge engines. I installed a 59- 230 engine in my sons 1944 WC. used the 59 flywheel clutch and starter. and its a pushbutton starter. the stomp pedal isn't used any more. and the Starter drive went bad. The only way I could used a stomp pedal starter was to change the flywheel. I looked everyplace and couldn't find a new or used starter drive. Them I got on the reenactor froum. I was told to go to the Massey Fergison TractorDealer. And the dealer in the next town had it in stock. Massey tractors used the very same starter drive.