Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 2019 NSRA Nats Important information Pls Read

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gman0046, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Gman0046

Gman0046

Most of us by now are aware of the stolen car issues that occurred recently on the Power Tour. Woke up this morning with the local TV (WHAS11) Louisville on and heard something about a rash of car thefts occurring in the Louisville, KY area. It was reported that 24 cars were stolen in the last 48 hours. They also mentioned numerous cars not stolen but broken into with valuables including guns being taken.

As its only a week away from many of us heading to Louisville for the Nats, I suggest everyone review what safety measures your going to take so you don't wind up being one of these thefts. I would also make sure your hotel/motel is not in a high crime area.

Does anyone think thieves don't know that 12,000- 15,000 high dollar cars are heading to Louisville?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Hnstray, da34guy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

What do you know about Sheperdsville Gman?

loudbang likes this.
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

okiedokie, it quite a distance and in a suburban area not something considered a "High Crime" area. Why are you staying so far away from the Fairgrounds?

Gary

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  4. I stay in Shepherdsville ever year and have not had any issues at all

loudbang likes this.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sleep in your car. you are like a Gazzelle in a herd of 10,000 and the lions are all around. someone will be eaten, we just don't know who yet.

Louisville Metro crime statistics report an overall upward trend in crime based on data from 14 years with violent crime increasing and property crime increasing. Based on this trend, the crime rate in Louisville Metro for 2019 is expected to be higher than in 2016.

The city violent crime rate for Louisville Metro in 2016 was higher than the national violent crime rate average by 70.18% and the city property crime rate in Louisville Metro was higher than the national property crime rate average by 80.53%.

In 2016 the city violent crime rate in Louisville Metro was higher than the violent crime rate in Kentucky by 190.87% and the city property crime rate in Louisville Metro was higher than the property crime rate in Kentucky by 102.04%.

4300 cars were stolen in Louisville in 2016.

6. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

We are not going.

7. A Boner

A Boner

They are probably taking orders now.....year, make, model, color, engine, trans, ect.

LBCD, 49ratfink and loudbang like this.
  8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Mike Rouse, you'll probably be OK then.

Gary

Just Gary and Moriarity like this.
  9. ...set up a watch group at each motel, take turns taking shifts,..can't hurt, better safe than sorry,..good luck to you all.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

have any cars ever been stolen from the Goodguys August Pleasanton show? VERY low crime in Pleasanton and the surrounding areas.

11. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

First of all, leaving a gun in your car is down right dangerous! Those guns will make their way to NY, DC and any major city. A good lockable car cover is your first line of defense, out of sight out of mind. Many hotels will offer security guards and try to keep out the rif-raf. At Louisville, every night all the locals cruise the parking lots and their is no way to tell if they are scouting the lot. Always park where it is well lighted. I have alarms in both my cars and cut off switches and use them whenever I'm not near them. That being said, I can remember a flatbed loading a car and no one stopped the driver of the truck, the next day we learned it was stolen. Everyone thought there was a problem with the car and the owner was having it sent to a shop. If they want it bad enough, somehow they are going to get it. Unfortunately it seems like at every major show, cars are stolen.

12. my trick is having a car nobody wants.

13. Y'all make it sound so appealing....

low budget likes this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If Louisville is like a lot of large cities and even smaller ones and town like the one I live in there are parts of town you just flat don't go hang out in after dark and in some of them in the day time.
    Looking at the Louisville police crime map and a map showing where the fairgrounds are it look like the high crime area is in the main down town area. 2019-07-25 (1).png 2019-07-25.png

loudbang likes this.
  15. What about the cars that are left on the fairgrounds overnight?
    More secure than a motel parking lot?
    No entry at night except participants?
    Patrolling security?
    I've always driven back to motel.

loudbang likes this.
  16. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

do the best you can, go have fun, your odds are low that your car will be stolen, have a kill. been going for years. I don't worry about it. its insured.

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just saw on WDRB local Louisville News that along with the theft of 24 cars in the last 48 hours the area is experiencing numerous thefts from parked vehicles. They said around 100 guns have been stolen from car breakins since June 1 2019. They attribute the car breakins to kids.
    In case your wondering, Kentucky open carry is allowed with out a carry permit. Kentucky is also a Stand Your Ground state along with a Castle statute initiated to combat car jacking. I definitely don't believe the Fair Grounds is in a bad area and have never heard of a car theft at any event I've been to. I'd be more concerned about where your hotel is located and is it in a safe area.
    Louisville is just like any other large city and has areas to stay away from. I don't go to downtown Louisville after dark and be sure you stay away from areas west of the city.
    Despite all this nothing could keep me from attending the Nats at the Fairgrounds. Now the good news, the extended weather forcast is calling for a cold front coming through next Wednesday and Thursday with high temperatures in the 80's.
    Regarding leaving a car at the Fairgrounds at night they block off the entrances and exits. nobody is allowed in after dark.

Gary

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    R A Wrench and loudbang like this.
  18. With the rash of stolen cars, if you don't have a alarm one might be a wise decision, at least there would be a racket if anyone was messing with your car, keep the car locked at night.

The safest place to park is right outside your motel room and you usually can ge outside in just a minute, caring some form of protection in your hand as a deterrent. HRP

Gman0046 likes this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know about there but most of the time all vehicles have to be removed from the show area of the grounds of events that I have been to to keep individuals from setting up camp at powerparking spots.
    I imagine that NSRA has a hauler/trailer and tow rig parking area inside the fences in a back area though.
    Years ago I had a guy wheel up and park his car next to my camp trailer (back side) in the camp ground at Goodguys in Puyallup and take take off with his buddy in a daily driver late model. Had a motorhome and trailered pickup park on the other side of that car a bit later so it was pretty safely tucked in.

It costs more money most of the time but there always seems to be some better hotels in an area that have secure parking that takes your room key to open the gate both ways.his
    This roadster was safely tucked away in the underground parking garage two rigs from the stealth car Thursday, friday and Saturday being pulled out early Sunday for the show. The place had an on duty attendant all hours that the doors were open and without a key you couldn't get in there after 7:00 PM and before 7:00 AM. IMG_5017.JPG

Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  20. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I got insurance so.............

da34guy and koolbeans like this.
  21. koolbeans

koolbeans

But, yes I have insurance too. Insurance does not reimburse for the hours, toil, lack of sleep, chasing kool parts, mental drain nor the money all the effort represents....let alone time loss without your ride.
    No airtight solution. It's a crap shoot.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Gman0046 like this.
  22. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

It’s a risk versus benefit thing. Make your own choice.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Where else can you see 15,000 cars in one place?

Gary

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  24. Remember what they used to do to horse thieves ?

loudbang likes this.
  25. Thanx for da heads up Gary.

Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  26. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Will be there again this year. Staying in a very decent motel near the show. Still, I will lock it down well, park close in, sleep lightly, & hope for the best.

27. gbrown

gbrown

I am probably more sensitive to vehicle theft right now as the guy that was doing my concrete work on my shop almost had his truck stolen out of my driveway a few weeks ago. Luckily the guy was on something and backed his truck into a ditch across from my driveway and was didn't realize how to put the truck in 4 wheel drive to get it out of the ditch. I live in a pretty nice neighborhood on the "good" side of town. But then the cop told us that thefts come to the "good" side of town because they don't want anything on the "bad" side of town.

This year for Louisville I have actually rented a house with a garage not because my car is too nice to sit out overnight but because the house with a 2 car garage was half of what I was going to pay for the hotel room I have reserved in Louisville. Still going to take my own lock to lock the garage at night and I have a battery disconnect that any real hot rodder could probably find but someone that doesn't know much about hot rods wouldn't know what to do. Like others have said its always a risk vs. benefit thing and the benefits out way the risk for me by a long shot.

MO_JUNK and Gman0046 like this.
  28. Gman0046

Gman0046

HRP, I totally agree with your comment about answering your motel room door with some protection if someones trying to steal your car. It sure beats answering the door with only your dick in your hands.
    Today was the was the first day of the NSRA Nats in Louisville after the registration yesterday. Spent some time in the air conditioned vendors area. Haven't heard a negative word concerning any thefts. My only complaint was about the 94 degree temperatue today. I've been to every NSRA event they've had in Louisville, got to believe the car count will be up there. Highest window sticker I've seen is is in the high ten thousands and today was only the first day. Good news is I may have sold my avatar car. We'll see.
    Too bad anyone was unable to make it for whatever reason. Lots to look at. I will tell you if all the post 1948 cars were not there there wouldn't be much to look at. Streetrods to me are definitely in the minority and seem few and far between. I've got to say those who predicted the sky was falling when the NSRA opened registration to post 1948 cars has failed to materialize. Perhaps those who made that decision knew a lot more then the Nay Sayers. Just sayin how its turned out. Doesn't make any differnce to me as i've been out to the Streetrod business for over 20 years.
    Gary

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  29. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I used to go to many biker rally’s , and nats , goodguys events . Changes of getting your car stolen are similar to being struck by lightening . You can not reserve yourself because of fear . Live your life and and enjoy it , it’s a short run . I was at Daytona years ago , a guy had a super nice Knuckle chained to a parking meter . I got into a “ confrontattion “ to best explain it , when I witnessed 5 guys pick the bike up and slide the chain over the meter post . A trailer was sitting waiting to sit it down on and be gone . You know , after it was over you got to ask yourself “ well did I do the right thing , and would someone do this for me ? “ The owner thanked me , and the locals wanted to , at lease detain me until state folks arrived and released me with a scolding . It’s a very sticky feeling wondering , well I have them now . Now what is going to be my next move . Only thing I said was “ you have me out numbered , but who is the lottery winner that wants to be first ? “ It was over fast , but the bike was not stolen , 5 guys left in cuffs . I was threatened , I chuckled and responded “ Tough guy I’m goin to see your Mom now . Hope you have as much fun as I will tonight , in your next few weeks to come ! “ Moral of the story , the world is full of more good than bad people , they are out numbered . Someone will hopefully witness and stand tall for you or you for them , if they see a car being stolen . You go to as many events as you can and enjoy our hobby , it’s full of great outstanding people , don’t fear what hasn’t happened .