Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stewart warner tach and sender ID.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Jul 20, 2019.

1. I just got this today and was wondering if anyone knows a possible year and application. The guy I bought it from said it was on a '50 Ford Flathead.....but the backs say V12????.

stewart warner tach and sender-1.jpg
    stewart warner tach and sender-2.jpg
    stewart warner tach and sender-3.jpg
    stewart warner tach and sender-4.jpg

2. It has a part number on the back of the sender but I can't read it all. It looks like the last 3 digits are 250.

It's the sender I can't figure out, I've seen the tach before.

3. fleetside66

fleetside66

There are a couple of threads on these things...I think Continental John had one going some months ago....exactly how you do a search on that is the trick. The sender/tach combination was being used by Stewart-Warner in the 1950's, maybe late 1940's, as well. The V12 means that yours was made in December of 1952. Studebaker used a set up like that for their 6,000 rpm tach in their Golden Hawks, which was furnished by S/W. That brown (bakelite?) gizmo gets sandwiched under the distributor cap, but every particular distributor has its own model sender. I think I have a chart somewhere that shows the match-ups. I'll see if I can find it. Here's a picture of a variation that I have, which is basically just a wall hanger without the bunch of wires & sender to magically match the dizzy in a perfect storm of applications. There are guys here that are working on trying to convert these to work with modern electronics & there are others that are working on converting them to work mechanically, but it doesn't seem like there's any book on it yet. If you have the proper dizzy for your sender, you might actually be in luck. They are really neat tachs, but on most occasions, useless.
    IMG_3075.jpg

stillrunners and 1oldtimer like this.
  4. fleetside66

fleetside66

"Easy to install." Right. I hope this helps, but it'll probably just serve to confuse matters more.
    IMG_3076.jpg IMG_3077.jpg IMG_3078.jpg IMG_3080.jpg IMG_3079.jpg IMG_3081.jpg IMG_3082.jpg

5. abloch

abloch

I've got one of these as well. It's a later version installed in all '56 Furys. $_57.jpeg

tr_rodder likes this.
  6. fleetside66

fleetside66

IMG_3083.jpg
    Then, it looks like you'll need the 762-J sender & a bunch of wires. Good luck with that. Ha-ha-ha. What a great tach that is. If someone here figures out a way to make these work with some modern electronics, a la the Sun senders, they can quit their day job. Plus, the tachs will quadruple in price.

7. Have a 56 Fury with one as well as a factory Studebaker 56 up with the 12v......

8. FleetSide - do you have a year on that catalog ?

9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Awesome info Fleetside! I have a NOS setup still in the box that I dont know what it fits. I will have to dig it out tomorrow and check the numbers.