Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mobility handbrake for a foot brake in a hot rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jamoke, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Jamoke

Jamoke

It's getting to the point where I'm having issues with my back and my legs for Safety reasons I probably I should have a Mobility handbrake for the foot brakeI have a 32 Ford Roadster so it's probably a big task to ask with not very much room . I'm checking to see if anybody might have a company or a place that might be able to help me out or maybe you have had one done for yourself once again thanks for all the people on the hamb

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  2. tom feland

tom feland
    from Norman, OK

87EE5D2D-0877-4D5E-8100-681223EF2DCD.jpeg 386BA58B-C93D-45B2-B931-8C56B5C62CB4.jpeg 87EE5D2D-0877-4D5E-8100-681223EF2DCD.jpeg 386BA58B-C93D-45B2-B931-8C56B5C62CB4.jpeg 87EE5D2D-0877-4D5E-8100-681223EF2DCD.jpeg I have used Sure-grip hand controls on a couple of vehicles with good results. On my 32/3/window I designed my own brake and throttle controls and they have worked out really well......not sure the photos will show well. The throttle is up on the left and the brake
    Is under the steering wheel.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hmmmm...Stock '32 brake setup allowed use of all 4 brakes via the hand lever working everything but the stoplight, and of course there was a hand throttle...
    That's got to be the best looking hand control setup on the planet, and the detailed and fully exposed works bring it right into the hotrod aesthetic.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

long time ago a friend's Dad had brake/gas controls on his '62 Pontiac with tri-power - friend would show off doing burn outs with it while his legs were hanging out the side window - joys of youth

loudbang likes this.

5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Jalopy Joker, phelan9251 and loudbang like this.
  6. sport fury

sport fury

check with the courage center. they are based out of Minneapolis but can help you find a business that modifies vehicles for handicapped drivers. they in some cases will pay for it. they can help you even if you are out of state.

loudbang likes this.
  7. sport fury

sport fury

I knew a hot-rodder that made his own gas/brake lever. forward on the stick was gas and back was the brake.

loudbang likes this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Don't have any pics, but Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR) was paralyzed from waist down as a result of polio. He had a '36 Ford Phaeton that he drove all around the roads of West Georgia while staying at the "Little White House" near Warm Springs, GA where he periodically underwent therapy from the thermal Springs there.
    Many years ago I saw the car, and I think it's still on display there at the LWH.
    It was of course a manual shift trans with a clutch, but nowadays an automatic would help out.

loudbang likes this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

1947knuck and Tim like this.
  10. tom feland

tom feland
    from Norman, OK

Bruce, I appreciate the kind words re: my hand controls.......actually with nothing
    Ready-made that was available, it was a fun project to design and build these......all
    Part of the hot rod building experience. Also, Loudbang, those lightened pictures
    Are a definite improvement....Thankyou. Another thought I had re: Jamokes original
    Post. There are good quality portable hand controls available which would likely work
    Quite well. I have used these for years when I’m driving a rental car........they’re adjustable
    So they fit just about any car. (Colours is the brand I have....excellent quality)

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I had a buddy who was born with deformed feet where his knees should have been. they removed the feet when he was a baby. he and his pop made a brake mechanism that moved side to side and he used his knees to stop. I don't know what he did for throttle.