Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical don't you just love crazy ideas ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Jul 24, 2019.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Finally finished up my hf style bead roller and figured at a later date I'd check into putting a motor on it.

I've read different types of motors to use on them, garage door opener, ford wiper motor, Dayton gear motor, etc. So anyway have a salvation army thrift store close to work I check out every once in a while and walking around it the other day I found an old ice cream maker. I stopped and thought it should have some torque to it so I took it over to an outlet and plugged it in, I was surprised by how stout it was!

So I walked out with it for 2 dollars and in the next week I'm going to rig up a quick tester to see if it will actually work, if it does I'll build a mount for it. So hopefully this crazy idea and 2 bucks will pan out !!

Here's a pic of my bead roller, I added heavy wall 1x3 tube top,bottom and side. Welded a tab to the upper block bolt so I can take it loose & tighten by hand, turned upper adjustment bolt upside down and mounted a wheel to it so I can adjust tension by hand and match tension on different beads, welded a tall nut on the bottom 1x3 tube under lower block with a 3/4" head that I tighten up against the lower block to keep it from flexing down.

Tried to make it as tool free as I could as I hate always looking for wrenches etc.

Attached Files:

Hnstray, catdad49, RMR&C and 4 others like this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I divorced my last crazy idea, I like yours better.

Nostrebor likes this.
  3. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I've got a motor on mine.... love it. However, you really need a motor with a speed control and the ability to go forward and reverse ..... if you really want total control of the panel you are rolling.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app