Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest What we get up to in the land of OZ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johns Rod & Custom, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Yes '51 Fords in Australia are know as Twin Spinners.

2. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love your work Luke, great thread keep em coming.

Johns Rod & Custom likes this.
  3. Next up was to pull the body of the chassis so it could be squared up & make the little modifications needed
    BrettsRoadsterUpgrades74.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades75.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades80.JPG
    unfortunately our chassis bench (Master Bench) had another car sitting on it so we used one of our normal work benches to sit the chassis on (still a lot more sturdy then most peoples chassis benches)
    BrettsRoadsterUpgrades81.JPG
    One of the modification after straightening the frame was to notch the chassis for spring clearance on the front BrettsRoadsterUpgrades89.JPG
    We notched the cross members so that the Fuel & Brake lines could run through them neatly BrettsRoadsterUpgrades84.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades85.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades88.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades87.JPG
    We also fitted a through brake line fitting in the rear cross member so that it would look a lot neater
    BrettsRoadsterUpgrades86.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades90.JPG The last modification (that I can remeber off the top of my head) to the chassis was to change the hairpin mount brackets to suit tie rod ends instead of rod ends

chryslerfan55 and 509garyd like this.
  4. patzfab

patzfab
    from Canada

Being an expat, I chuckle when I see “boot” & “bonnet”.
    That FJ was my dream back in the 60’s. I built and fitted a rolled pan, filled the bonnet, rolled a 3/4 tube into a big oval and welded it to the front sheet metal and slathered on the bog to fair it in. Wife and I bought that car for $25.00 when we got married. All the work was done at my place of work.
    You blokes are doing great work there.

Dago 88 and Johns Rod & Custom like this.
  5. cometman98006

cometman98006

Neat work, love the channeled '34 it looks like the one I had back in the 50's bobbed rear fenders and all. Mine had a '34 grill though. Always wanted to see down under and here's another reason.

6. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of cause you have pic's "patzfab" :)

7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Great work, please more when possible.
    Could you explain the club permit license plates?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  8. Johns Rod & Custom likes this.
  9. spanners

spanners

Top work. Keep it up. Just sold my FJ ute to a bloke in Bendigo. Always a good body style. What happened to the roadster?

10. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Sure like the Eye Brows nice touch.. The whole car Rocks.. Great Job!

11. patzfab

patzfab
    from Canada

I wish I had pics, as you may know, the price of film and then the cost of developing and printing in those days, mid 60’s in Aus, were out of reach to us kids. I was 18

12. The Club Permit Plates are a cheaper & often easier way for rego on older cars (over 25 years old) in Australia, with Club plates you are limited to 90 days of use a year & cost just over $100 (I think, I don't have anything on it) whilst Full Rego is a lot more expensive at around $750 a year ( gets very expensive when you have a few cars on it)

13. His son was driving it on the freeway, when somebody decided to pull out & clipped the rear tire, the roadster bounced from armco to armco & hit another car, luckily no body was hurt

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. We also spent a bit of time fixing some of the flaws in the Brookville Quarter Panels BrettsRoadsterUpgrades102.JPG Here you can see the measurements of the belt line on the L/H side & how much they very from the door
    BrettsRoadsterUpgrades101.JPG
    Here is the Right hand side for comparison
    BrettsRoadsterUpgrades104.JPG
    We figured the best way to fix the issue was to section the belt line on both side to match the top of the door & make them the same from side to side BrettsRoadsterUpgrades106.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades107.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades108.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades109.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades110.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades111.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades112.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades113.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades114.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades115.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades116.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades117.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades118.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades119.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades120.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades121.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades122.JPG BrettsRoadsterUpgrades123.JPG Since this photo was taken we have tapped them up a lot better, but now they match both sides, we will also modify the doors so the belt line will flow seamlessly

chryslerfan55 and 509garyd like this.
  15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

If it is true, I like what I was told happens in Switzerland, where you can own one set plates and are able to se them on which ever car that you wish to drive on a particular day.
    I am guessing that may still only apply to classis or vintage style vehicles...

16. Nobey

Nobey

Nice job on the belt line, stuff like that drives me nuts......

17. I thought I better put up an update as has been nearly a year
    First up is the Joe Botti F100
    We have lowered it back to how it was rebuilt in 1964 & also replaced the ugly smoothies & radials with original Appliance Plating Reversed Steel Wheels & Cross Plies JoeBottiF100Lowering3.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering6.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering7.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering8.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering9.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering10.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering11.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering12.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering13.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering14.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering15.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering16.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering17.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering18.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering19.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering20.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering21.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering22.JPG JoeBottiF100Lowering23.JPG

18. Been a while since I have put up an update
    here is some work my Father (John) did around 20+ years ago
    Jaguar XJ6 Headlight rings in a Buick Roadmaster
    0J75WC.JPG 0J76WC.JPG 0J77WC.JPG 0J78WC.JPG 0J79WC.JPG 0J80WC.JPG 0J81WC.JPG 0J82WC.JPG 0J83WC.JPG 0J84WC.JPG

509garyd and deadbeat like this.
  19. deadbeat

deadbeat

I thought boots and bonnets are for babies,, only kidding,,, If you every get a chance to get to Melbourne you have to go and check out their shop. Amazing place with lots of neat stuff and real talented guys,,cheers

509garyd likes this.