Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC wear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fry, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Had a rocker stud pull and I’m going to get my heads machined for screw in studs.
    Pulled the heads and thought the cylinders were shined up more than I thought they should.
    It’s a mild 327, fully rebuilt 2500 miles ago.
    Is this normal wear?
    The diesels I work on for a living would still have like new cross hatch after 2-3000 hours. But I’m not experienced with older gas engines, I just expected it to look new still.
    It’s hard to get a good picture so hopefully good enough
    . 42400D20-3D79-4621-A7C1-85908DCFA13A.jpeg C2362A8A-A344-41CF-AA97-5F9AFFFF1DDE.jpeg AAD4AD29-ACC7-48BF-8A55-0119C6141852.jpeg 6B96B9BA-132D-4771-8AF0-0E5B390F913E.jpeg

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  2. Was the cross-hatching evident when you got it back from the re-builder or was it completely re-assembled when you got it back?

loudbang likes this.
  3. crossthread

crossthread

I have seen that when block was not cleaned well enough after shop work . Grit from honing and /or molly rings . Might want to pull pistons and crank and ball hone clean and put back together

loudbang likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I would not worry about it....it looks way too normal to me.

5. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Thanks Squirrel. Just wanted reassurance.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  6. Don’t worry, it will be fine. I still see cross-hatching. The diesels that you and I work on have different piston ring packages and have to withstand a lot more heavy use than car engines. I would also guess that our cylinder liners have a higher nickel content in the iron.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Which rings are you using, and oil?

loudbang likes this.
  8. I agree that it looks normal, sometimes we make this old car stuff way to complicated

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'd say that is a LOT of wear for 2500 miles, should not be typical. Polishing like that is usually the result of carbon deposits in and around the ring grooves and lands, restricting free movement of the rings in the grooves, and that usually takes a lot more than 2500 miles.

10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I think it will be fine . My feelings are this is a product of over carbing , fuel wash .

11. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Doesn't look bad.
    Fingernail test it.
    If those 'score' marks are more prominent than the cross hatch you might want to verify clearances.
    Otherwise its most likely just an artifact being it is on the thrust surfaces and not anywhere else on the bore. Albeit if you look at the cylinders perpendicular you will see similar marks on the sidewalls.
    Look for any polished smooth areas, that would be more indicative of wash down.

12. X-cpe

X-cpe

In a lot of places in those pictures it appears to me that the cross hatch marks go over the vertical scuff marks.