Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chop Top costs near Houston

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by phelan9251, Jul 19, 2019.

1. phelan9251

phelan9251

Hi Guys
    Can anyone tell me the rough costs to chop a top in your area? Not including paint or upholstery.
    I'm looking at a couple different cars but all of them need a little taken off. Looking at 6"ish if stock height. How big is the difference between cars?
    34 5 window
    32 5 window
    30 Ford coupe
    I know this is probably a stupid question and i expect to get flamed so hit me:)

Cheers Tom

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

how deep is your wallet? 6"ish is pretty radical for those body styles - a lot depends on condition of body - already mounted to frame that you will be running - etc - which body style do you like the best & can afford? - if you make a deal with someone to do the work for price you can accept be prepared to be put in line and have patience waiting for it - then there is the cost for everything else that you will need - have fun

phelan9251 likes this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The only thing I can say is go for experience not the lowest price. A bad job is something that you don't want to deal with the rest of the time you own the car.
    I've seen guys take on the work that don't have a clue, with the job costing more than quoted or the cost of having the job fixed by the guy with experience. :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Special Ed and Dave Mc like this.
  4. I agree with Oldiron, and though I personally don't think a 6" chop on any of the cars mentioned looks as good as a more moderate chop, every shop you go to will probably charge a different price.
    Of the 3 cars mentioned I would think the Model A coupe would be the easier chop and therefor a bit cheaper.

Mick

phelan9251 likes this.

5. Rckt98

Rckt98

6" is too much for any of those cars. You won't enjoy driving with that small of a screen to see out of.

seadog and phelan9251 like this.
  6. The basic chop is not that hard, especially on the A, most of your time will be spent working on the trim and finishing the welds. The price will depend on how much work you want the chopper to do as far as metal work, weld grinding, door fitment, just don't allow him to hold it hostage.....

Just Gary likes this.
  7. A Boner

A Boner

You probably should buy a body......fix the rust issues, then build a rolling chassis and mount the body on the chassis (including fitting and getting the doors working properly. At that point worry about chopping the top. Probably should mount the seats before you decide the amount of the chop. JMO

Special Ed likes this.
  8. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

You don’t seem to know more than what you’ve heard from random talking heads on television so just buy a done car you like. You’ll be money ahead.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Not every car needs a chop. On some cars a chop ruins the proportions. If I were building a 32 or 34 Ford 5 window, chopping the top would be the last thing I would do. To me some cars with chopped tops that didn't need one in the first place look strange. A great example is a 33-34 Dodge or Plymouth 5 window coupe looks Fugly as they look as is they came from the factory chopped.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    olscrounger and phelan9251 like this.
  10. phelan9251

phelan9251

Found Kenny Baker in Elmo MO on another thread, visiting his webpage he advertises a chop starting at $2500.
    Looks like he's done over 1000 chops and the pics he's posted look good.

11. Rckt98

Rckt98

I have been to Kennys shop on a US road trip some years ago. Stand up guy.

phelan9251 likes this.
  12. dan31

dan31

If someone tries to talk you out of a 6" chop ,listen to them. Models a's get real tight after 2 1/2 " chop. Even then only take 1 1/2 " out of the back window.