Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Orig 1932 Ford clutch arms - forging or casting?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neil brown, Jul 23, 2019.

1. neil brown

neil brown
    from Pasadena

I have two original 1932 ford clutch arms... But they look slightly different. One actually broke while I was using it with an 11" pressure plate. The other appears to have a dull seam down both sides. Is it possible that the one that broke is a casting ...while the one with the seam is a forging? They both have the abrupt bend to avoid interference with the V8 steady rods ... But the one with the seam may have been (skillfully) bent into that shape(?). Does anyone know if some are forged and some are cast? Could this be an early vs. late difference?

Neil
    Pasadena

2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Factory originals are forged.

3. xix32

xix32

I think "honest" John Kovar, AKA "Plain Jane" from Ohio, was reproducing some of those types of items, and most likely would have been cast. He was also doing the 3" shift fork for the `39 type transmissions, beware.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Bob Drake has brought out a number of such items claimed to be forged and probably so, though I don't know.
    They do look good.
    And just imagine having your clutch lever snap while you are sitting at a red light.

Moriarity likes this.

5. I had the clutch ball bracket snap in half on my flathead powered 4 door sedan, needless to say I had to phone a friend and trailer it home. HRP

[​IMG]

6. Mac VP

Mac VP

All the original Ford clutch release arms were forged steel. This is why they were strong and could be cold bent if someone wanted to change their angle.

The 32 arm was reproduced in recent years but it was a casting (ductile or malleable iron.....not sure). They were okay but certainly not bendable.

Hot Rod John Kovar has passed away. We bought some of the remaining transmission parts inventory a year ago. What I didn’t purchase was not suitable to use, including a couple dozen of his 91A shifter forks (the 3” wide type) which he didn’t quite get made correctly.

kadillackid and alchemy like this.