Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical puzzle with most of the pieces gone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by email Ed, Jul 23, 2019.

1. email Ed

email Ed

I was going to try to mount the rad support today and it don't look like it goes to this truck. I don't have all the truck only a little of it. I didn't take it apart so it makes it harder to know how it goes. So far I know the frame and cab isn't the same year. The frame had the factory tank that filled on side of bed if the info I found on the web is right that makes the frame late 1947 or first part of 1948. The cab had the gas fill hole for behind the seat. I have 2 sets of doors one with and one without wing windows the one with wing windows goes with the cab and have the push button handles. I'm thinking that is a 1952 to 1954 so I don't know how many parts will fit of what I have. I'm just starting to put it together and it don't fit the radiator support doesn't look like it fits. It's not lining up with the inside fenders or frame. I looked on line for a 48 rad support and the bolt holes look wider then what I have so I am wondering if the shape is the same and if I can just drill new holes or if I have to replace another part I would like to save $ somewhere.

2. squirrel

squirrel

hi, you need to work on figuring out how to post pictures, so that we can see them. Only you can see the links you posted.

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

With a sawzall and welder anything is possible

bobss396 likes this.
  4. TimCT

TimCT

These looks like parts from a Chevy AD truck? I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't think there could be that much difference in those parts for 47-53. 54-55 1st series is a different ball of wax, though. Maybe you're mixing earlier and later AD parts?

5. email Ed

email Ed

The blue part looks right from photos on the web and the bent support looks right but the other parts don't look right. looking on line the u part, 2 bent parts, and 2 other little parts are only sold together for $270 + shipping so I may try to make them. If anyone knows who sells that bent support that goes under the drivers side fender that is the part that will be hard to make I would like to buy it separate if I can.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  6. ...I have some under fender braces, the curved ones that bolt to radiator core and go out to fender edge,..PM me
    ...I can get pics of a stock core support and post later...

7. LAROKE

LAROKE

They changed some over the years. The following pictures are from my '55 Chevy 1st Series half ton pickup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ed, do you have an assembly manual for your truck(s)?:confused:
    If not, it would probably be money well-spent. :)
    s-l500.jpg

LAROKE likes this.
  9. The manual is key. Also get some catalogs from aftermarket suppliers. Often they have exploded views of things in good detail.

Just Gary and LAROKE like this.
  10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You may have a GMC core support there. Next swap meet, buy a Chevrolet chassis parts manual ( P& A) issued between 1955 & 1964.

11. ...here's a core support (some have Xbrace rods, some don't) and fender braces, they are different each side
    ad core, fender supports 005.jpg ad core, fender supports 002.jpg AD core 003.jpg ad core, fender supports 007.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  12. email Ed

email Ed

I have an assembly manual on the way thanks for letting me know about them. I think it will be $30 well spent.

Just Gary likes this.
  13. email Ed

email Ed

14. email Ed

email Ed

I don't know if I know how to pm but I tried.

Just Gary likes this.
  15. email Ed

email Ed

Do I have to assemble the nose before I install it ?

16. ...you can bolt the core to the frame, then install the inners, fenders and splashpans,...probly easier than trying to bolt the whole front clip together on the floor and then installing it on the truck,..mite want to leave the bolts a bit loose til you get it all mounted, then adjust things to fit the cab, hood, etc...

17. email Ed

email Ed

I need to make the part for the top. the assembly manual has it listed as a upper baffle it looks like a angle iron does anyone know the dimensions for it ?

Attached Files:

18. email Ed

email Ed

I made a top part I hope its not to high.

Attached Files: