Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ported Temperature Vacuum Switch, Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Caballo, Jul 23, 2019.

1. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m trying to undo some home brew engineering on my truck that the PO had done. I’m looking at the vacuum lines around my carb and distributor and noticed that the Ported Temperature Vacuum Switch is not part of the system and indeed not even there. It doesn’t run bad, but I’m only getting 10 mpg. I’m looking at the vacuum diagram and it even has a check valve going to the vacuum diaphragm on the distributor. It’s my understanding that the switch is good for advancing the spark to prevent overheating, but I have no idea what the check valve is for. Do I need either one to make a difference in performance or mileage? The engine is a 302.

IMG_0495.JPG IMG_0324.JPG

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. dan griffin

dan griffin

Its a smog deal,just take a piece of hose and run from the carb to the vac. advance.

ottoman, INVISIBLEKID and Deuces like this.
  3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

What Mr Griffin said

ottoman and Deuces like this.
  4. David Chandler

David Chandler

I used to replace them with earlier units that simply hooked to the carb; like mid to late 60's stuff. It worked fine, and I never missed the other arrangement.

Deuces and ottoman like this.