Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Quieter Exhaust

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Colemire, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I will, these are 2.5 inlet and outlet. I will incorporate them into the 3.5 pipe like I did the ones on it, they were just 18 in body. I may use part of them yo make a resonator on the end and put it inside the pipe. Hope to have them done by Sat if the mufflers come in in time. I'm also building a pair of 1405 Eldelbrock carbs for it and selling my Holleys. Theb tach quit working right and the speedometer gear on the tail shaft broke also. I've never had such bad luck in my whole life with a project. At least the ride and handling is spot on, it goes around curves like a cat.

Some Guy and loudbang like this.
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

My avatar currently has stock Pontiac mufflers and is way too quiet. Looking for someting with a rumble but not a Flowmaster type drone at highway speeds. Local muffler shop wants $140 a piece for Magnaflows which seems kind of high. The last Magnaflows on my 63 Chevy were too loud for me. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  3. Goelrich accelerator
    Or
    Walker sound effects.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Traditional would be either glass packs or turbo's. 2 1/2" from manifolds or headers to the mufflers, maybe down to 2 1/4 over the rear axle to the bumper. That will give it the traditional sound of all those cars from the HAMB era. Glass packs will be a little louder and will have that traditional "rap" when you nail the throttle, and may pop under deceleration. And they'll blow the glass packing out as they age and you'll replace them when they get too loud. Turbo's will be mellower, throatier, will growl nicely when you apply the throttle and rumble nicely as you cruise past the burger stand. Resonator tips will add to the ambiance. That is traditional.

Magnaflows are basically fancy glass packs and will have a similar sound, maybe a bit mellower.

Whatever you do, Please don't screw it up with Flowmasters!!!!

loudbang likes this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took my 34 to a cruise in on Saturday and my wife came along for the first time in this car. Top was up (hot day) but we had audible conversations even on the freeway at 70. A little blower whine, a little QC whine, and a beautiful exhaust noise. When I pulled in to the event guys walked up and said the sound was incredible.
    Headers, 2.25" mandrel bent pipes, dual 26" smittys. over the axle, no x pipe, rubber insolated hangers, everything ceramic coated, blown flathead.
    upload_2019-7-23_12-18-49.png

upload_2019-7-23_12-19-20.png

upload_2019-7-23_12-20-2.png

6. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Well I have a problem with very little space and length to work with for an exhaust system. I started off using an Moroso 18” auger style muffler that ended up being very loud. I finally ended up using a SuperTrapp adapter with with baffles. They say 24 baffles is equal to open exhaust and am currently running 18 baffles on each side. I am sure there is some restriction but at least the sound is bearable. Header, Moroso muffler and SuperTrapp are all 2 1/2” diameter. I think the flange around the baffles also helps with reducing the sound.
    upload_2019-7-23_14-50-42.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  7. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I took mine off today and cut them to get ready to put the other on when they come in. I'd put 3 in inlet and outlet with a 18 inch case. I could have swore I put 2.5's but apparantly I was wrong or they growed. So much for memory, no wonder it was so loud.

loudbang likes this.
  8. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Porters, such a sweet sound.
    Warren

9. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Update, I got the Magnaflows, the are 2.5 inlet and outlet, 4 in diameter case with a 26 in body. I welded them in place of the other glass packs and I split the case on the old ones and took out the 3 inch baffles. I split the baffles length wise and squeezed the baffled tube together over lapping it so it would fit over the end, 2.5, of the new ones. I wrapped the insulation I took out around them and wired it so it would stay put. I then slid the 3.5 turn out pipe over it and welded it to the muffler. Like someone said, I made the whole thing a glass pack muffler. It is about 1/2 as loud and has a really mellow tone now. With the setup I got, I don't think you could get it any quieter. The next and probably last one I build I will build the frame so I can put exhaust under it and it won't have a round 6 in dropped axle, lesson learned.

fastcar1953 and loudbang like this.
  10. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Guitar guy beat me to it.
    Crossover , or H pipe will help ..
    Maybe not enough...definitely will quiet it down some.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

im running 2.5" stainless system with magnaflow 4"case x 16"long .its loud too loud.wrapped the system front half.insulating the cab at the moment which should help the situation.considering a 2"baffle bolt in/out

12. That’s sure sounds like a lot of work...
    if it gave you the results needed then that’s good

13. 6sally6

6sally6

Yeah but obviously a cheap-assed thrown together car too!!!........WOW!! I would be hesitant to drive that beauty! Sweeeet.
    6sally6

Stogy, loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  14. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

There is nothing cheap ass about this car and it sure as hell wasn't thrown together.

Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  15. probably need better use of the sarcasm emoji.

Now,,,
    The true definition of sarcasm is “terror of the heart with intent to wound deeply” so I try to stay away from sarcasm as much as possible. Unless you pissed me off and I’m intending to rip your heart out. Some folks think sarcasm is funny... irony is funny but sarcasm isn’t.

Besides I think sally was referring to billy’s Ride. Billy is half nuts and likes to drink much like myself. We differ slightly as he prefers bourbon and I prefer tequila... so it’s also not wise to poke to hard there.:p

16. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike, I know you have low ground clearance but here's a few pics of mine for reference. 2.5" Porter shorty mufflers are 20" long, loud but tolerable. 175 lb in rear springs.jpg

20181123_162607.jpg
    Porter Shorty.jpg

17. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Looks like an awesome build/ride to me!!

loudbang and Bandit Billy like this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Them there's fightin words! I'm not half anything! I'm full on crazy and I've got a few x-wives that have and will testify to that in a court of law. That said there are a few things I try to avoid; euro trash cars, red heads and tequila! I did make an exception recently and took a step south of the wall in the form of a Tequila Sunrise whilst participating in my weekly athletic event in which grown men drive around in electric cars chasing little white balls...no I don't work at Tesla but I do like to golf and had your beverage of choice on the front nine. Muy bien!

19. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Brian that is a good looking hot rod. What brand and size rear tires you got on there? They look really good.

Blues4U and loudbang like this.
  20. 6sally6

6sally6

Kinda hard to catch the "tongue-in-cheek"...on the web. Tried to make the second sentence more flattering but guess you missed that.
    Besides.....I was teasing Bandit Billy about HIS car!!
    Hey Billy........like yer car, man!
    6sally6

21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Don't worry about being able to hear each other talk when the engine is running............worry about being able to hear each other when the engine isn't running. Do whatever it takes to quiet the engine. Losing your hearing is a whole lot bigger pain in the a** than losing some horsepower. Ask me how I know this!
    Put some of those electric cutouts on if you want some noise on occassion, but above all get the noise level down at least to "mellow".

Stogy and nunattax like this.
  22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

mellow sounds about right

Stogy likes this.
  23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

What's loud and what's quiet means different things to different people, so I dunno if what I'm running would suit you or not. I've got a '31"A" on 32 frame with SBC 350 fairly, radical cam, 2X4 bbls,alum heads, etc. The exhaust is the "roadster" headers Speedway sells (Patriot brand, I think), 3.5" collectors and extensions also 3.5" X 26" turned out to side. I have "Spiral Turbo Baffles" about 12-14" long inside the extensions, and it is loud, but to me it's livable. They have a tube through the middle about 1.5-1.75 down through the middle of the spiral baffles, open at both ends that can be closed or reduced in opening by using an appropriate size freeze plug with a smaller hole, or no hole at all welded to cover the open end on forward end of baffle. I didn't reduce the end at all, tube is open all the way. The inventor markets them himself under "Spiral Turbo exhaust baffles". They ain't cheap but they are well built from SS.
    Brian and I frequent the same track at times and maybe he can tell you how it sounds to him. I leave the baffles in when I drag race the car.
    I drive it on the street quite a lot here in my hometown and other towns around the region, Have never had a cop, deputy sheriff, or hwy patrolman do or say anything other than grin and maybe wave

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sarcasm and irony are never lost on me, I caught yer drift and appreciate the compliments !

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You still drink'n that "rot gut"?
    That's what a guy I worked with would say whenever someone mentioned any libation other than his Crown Royal.
    Just having fun here you know, don't need no stink'n emojis either.
    Now what was the question?:confused:

Bandit Billy likes this.
  26. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

56CAE54C-CFD7-4741-B6E3-704932FD419F.jpeg My Coupe was way too loud with the Smittys
    I had on it. Not much room under mine either.
    Made a pattern that slipped over the old muffler
    With the outside shape of the new Magnaflow
    that. I could check clearance with. There tight,
    But just fit with a alum heat shield I added to
    each one. Love the tone of these #12246’

27. junkyard32

junkyard32

Just want to say there is no need for that 3.5" pipe for a 500hp engine. Especially if you are going to street it. I do exhaust for a living and the big pipe will give you good tone, but is louder. If you are trying to quiet it down, I would say 2.5" pipe, H-pipe or X, and some kind of chambered mufflers. Not magnaflow or borla. They are just stainless oval shaped glasspacks in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, they are good quality mufflers, just not much for cutting down on the sound.

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Naw, had to give gave up drinkin @DDDenny . On a new health kick. Instead of liquor try this instead for a summer time refreshment; in a copper mug, fill with ice, add ginger beer (non alcoholic), a squeeze of lime and about 4oz of Crown Mesquite.

With regard to the question at hand, whatever it was, I was just having this conversation with a friend the other day in regards to the exhaust I have planned for the shop truck. I explained how happy I was wit the smitty's on the roadster and planned to use them again on the truck. He said what sounds good behind a flathead may sound like poo poo behind the Hemi. Point taken. I can play the trumpet, but the same horn in the hands of Louis Armstrong or Doc Severinsen is going to have incredibly different results.

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude! You are killing me! Read the whole post. That was a recipe for a Mesquite Mule, heavy on the whiskey. My last drink will be right before they shut the lid and play Amazing Grace. Maybe I need to use more emoticons! People should never take me seriously...seriously! :cool::D:rolleyes:;):)

I did hear about Mitch. What a great pin striper! A legend locally. I wish him a great recovery.

30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Hey, I enjoy a good stiff drink as much as anybody and seldom does a day go by without at least one. But yall are hijacking this guy's thread, and not only that, it's about as OT as you can get. Start a PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!