Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects good chromer needed and who stay away from

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Materguru, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Materguru

Materguru

I am somewhat restoring a 32 Cabriolet and although I am leaving as much originality as possible, I need to save some of the chromed parts. Some for better functioning and some just to stop the cancer. Either way, I have never really used Chromiers?...sp. I know no one wants to call out the ones to stay away from so if willing to just PM me. Otherwise, all advise pertinent to the question would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

I am interested in knowing.

3. Materguru

Materguru

what does that mean?

4. Advanced Plating is the only one I have ever used. Not cheap, but beautiful results. They had a fire at their shop a while back but I believe they have been back up and in production for a few months now.

5. belair

belair

Avoid Bumper Boyz, and anyone else who uses Z for S The Boyz have a loooong history of ripping people off. Good chrome and good chrome prep does not come cheap.

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  6. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

7. Materguru

Materguru

thanks for Belair for heads up... this advance plating..will they do some fill in? I have some major pitting on the window frame that instead of just chroming I would like to fill in to original since Im going through the trouble. Much appreciation for recognizing my query.

8. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These guys have done excellent work for me. Not to be confused with Advanced Plating. Ask for Chris, the owner. They do unbelievable pot metal restoration. I think the pricing is very fair for the quality you get.

https://advancedcustomchrome.com/

9. I have been using Custom Chrome out of Akron Ohio. These guys like the best , are not cheap but are well worth the money when a part has only one time at the chrome shop to get it correct.
    Will not deal with anyone else.
    Vic

john worden likes this.
  10. You might have better luck if you put your general location in your profile.

Charlie Stephens

11. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Obviously your experience with Ogden chrome was different than mine.
    I would NEVER use the lying bastards again

12. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Saltlake Chrome is another good one in Utah , I have a 53 Cadillac they replated the front bumper , real nice work . I have also heard negative reviews about Ogden Chrome

13. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Sorry to hijack thread but I'm curious. I know condition and other things can change price but what's rough estimate to chrome a windshield frame that doesn't need much work. Are we talking 200 or 300 or 4 or 5?

14. I’ve had good luck with R&D Finishing in Elizabethton, TN. Check their website. They did a roll bar and several small pieces for me. It was well done and has held up well.

15. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Just say no to Bumper Boyz

Dave Mc likes this.
  16. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

You did not mention where you are located.....
    I have been using “The Chrome Shop” in Menasha Wisconsin for many years, always perfect results on even the most delicate pieces. As in any quality service the price is not cheap but the results are worth the cost difference. I have recommended this shop to quite a few others and have never heard a bad report.

17. redo32

redo32

If you are talking about the windshield frame..DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY DOING THE ORGINAL! The folded method of manufacturing makes it impossible to rinse and neutralize the chemicals that seep into the center of the folds. It will rust out in short order. It is 87 years old and has years of deteriorating already. New ones are available.

18. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Make sure whomever you choose does copper, nickel, chrome for their process. JMO based on my experience with having stuff chromed.

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't like chrome, too blingy, not traditional

20. Huh?

LAROKE likes this.
  21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sure looks better than 'patina', and rust...Gimme the chrome! No wammies...

mountainman2 and Bandit Billy like this.
  22. I had some bumpers done there for my 64 Skylark, they layered up copper and polished between copper layers till all the pits were gone. looked amazing.

23. I can feel the sarcasm clear to Wisconsin...

belair, LAROKE and Bandit Billy like this.
  24. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AIH in Dubuque, IA does some of the nicest chrome I have ever seen.