Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Flathead Powermaster Starter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 36 Penny Coupe, Jul 22, 2019.

1. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Is anyone running a Powermaster Flathead starter that has had good service out of it??? I’m on my third model 92507. The first one only lasted less that 4-5 starts. The second one lived 1560 miles while breaking in my engine. The third only started the car less than 20 miles. All were completely gone with no spin getting plenty of jolt. I’m thinking of rebuilding my old Ford script one and setting it up for 12v. What are you guys out there running???? I feel like I can’t trust these for a road trip.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. RonaldR

RonaldR

I rebuilt a stock one ,been running it for 8 yrs. Using 12 volts.

3340 and Boryca like this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

4. alchemy

alchemy

Stock old Ford 6 volter that I never did anything except blow the dust out of and paint the housing. Been running on 12 volts for a dozen years now.

5. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

Awesome guys. The choice is clear to see. No more new starters.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Just a thought for you guys running original starters. I ran mine for 29 years without problem, that is until one day the thrust washer on the comm end of the armature wore so thin the comm shorted to ground and burned the field coil strap through. :mad: If your starter is old or if you have it off for any reason, take it apart and have a look, they are pretty easy to fix and keep them fresh. Clean up and bushings and thrust washers are easy. If it needs brushes and you aren't feeling capable I'm sure there is an auto electric repair shop that can do that part for you.

Anyway, just putting that out there. :)

Flathead Dave likes this.
  7. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

You can get a gear drive starter for less money. No bendix to wonder about.

8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Use the stock 6v starter. Don't have to convert it to 12v unless you want to. Stock 6v will run for many years on a 12v system.

Gruntis and deucemac like this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Running one in the 8ba in my '39 p/u. Had an issue, starter would spin but not engage. The shop I bought it from, Quality Power in Yucaipa, CA initially said it had to go back to the manufacturer but ended up fixing it without having to return it. https://www.qualitypowerauto.com No issues since. Been a couple of years in a daily driver.

10. car doctor

car doctor

Run a stock one with 12 volts for 3 years now and 16,000 miles, no problems at all.

11. deucemac

deucemac

I've built many many flatheads over the years that were converted to 12V and ALL of them got stock 6V starters. Just make sure that the starter is in good shape, and if not sure, get it rebuilt and it should last till hell freezes over. I have seen way too many aftermarket starters fail but not Henry's very often. He did a great job.

36 Penny Coupe likes this.
  12. 36 Penny Coupe

36 Penny Coupe
    from VA

13. I also have my 6 volt starter running on 12 volts. It starts instantly so it hardly has any use at all.

14. MickD

MickD

It'll start forever on 12v
    like the man said. Why would you bother converting it to 12v unless you want to drive the car on the starter for a few miles because you ran outta gas! And even then you'd flatten your battery before you buggered the starter!

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

20 years now on my 6 volt starter with 12 volts.
    I did ruin a few starter drives on my pickup and changed to the new design.
    Works great and have 5 years on that starter with the new bendix.
    [​IMG]

16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Up date to an old thread. The Powermaster in my 8ba starter began to spin slow. Figured it was the battery which was over 3 years old. The new battery helped for a time but after a time the starter wouldn't engage like it was struck. Did the old rock it in gear thing which allowed it to work for a while. Drove the truck to the local Saturday morning car guys coffee get together. Had to get a push to start when it was time to leave. Got home and cleaned all the connections and charged the battery. Starter still wouldn't spin. Pulled the starter thinking it had a dead spot in the armature. Turns out something is causing the starter to lock up. Didn't pull it apart yet cause I want the shop that sold it to me to see it first. Starter is out of warranty so my guess is a new starter is in order. Looking at the starters all the usual places sell and they all come with the new style enclosed Bendix. Hate to buy a new starter and have to immediately replace the Bendix back to the old style. Van Pelt lists a 12 volt starter with a USA original style Bendix but the shipping quote on the web site is almost as much as the starter. I'll give them a call Monday to see if the web site quote is correct. Seems to me that a starter should fit in a medium or for sure a large flat rate USPS box. Looking back I should have stayed with the 6 volt I was using and for sure should have kept at least one before I got rid of most of my spare flathead stuff.