Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fabbing '32 Quarter Corners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I've been searching the HAMB and YouTube for info but so far no luck. I'd like to see how to make the quarter panel corners for a '32 5W. Mine are buggered since the frame is an early one without any reinforcing for the shocks so of course the frame cracked and eventually the corners.

I've looked for ready made but the price seemed rather extreme. I have a bead roller, English wheel, and a planishing hammer. So can anyone direct me to a thread or a video?

2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

My plan is to make a masque off a good corner and trace that onto steel sheet. Follow the lines to make to beads and then fold over the bottom. Than shrink bottom flange to get the curve of the 1/4 panel. Comments? Leave it to a pro? Get a glass body?

3. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I have made patch pieces with patience and a few good tools. but if you do not have the skills , an experienced metal man is worth the cost 32CpeRrLead.jpg 32CpeRpatch.jpg

4. alchemy

alchemy

I made the bottom 6 inches of some roadster rear corners about 30 years ago. I did it in smaller pieces, maybe the back segment, the side segment, and the bottom bead. I just had a hammer, dollies, and a vise back then. If you have a bead roller you could be halfway done by now.

Even with a bunch more tools nowadays I'd still probably make it in segments. Probably the back half and the side half, then fit them together with the proper arch to them, and fold the bottom under.

5. patterg2003

patterg2003

Dave Mc and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Regarding cost, I don't think $650-800 per set seems reasonable. Plus mine need to be longer. Bigger wallets may disagree. Besides I love learning new things. Thanks for the tips so far...

Edit: patterg2003, I just read through the link you suggested. The last post was basically the same as my plan so that gives me a great deal of confidence/hope! Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Dave Mc and kidcampbell71 like this.